Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The Gearbox

I have been playing about with some sequential gearbox ideas over the last year trying to work out how to get more than 4 gears out of the 42056 style gear system, and more importantly with realistic ratios between the gears. I thought that I was getting somewhere and decided that it was finally time to build a new car around this new gearbox, however, the first iteration gearbox was not up to scratch, so I put it to one side, spent last summer working on my house, and came back to it in the autumn determined to make it work.

The other key design aspect was that this all had to fit within a 1:10 scale model, with the engine not mounted ridiculously high.  The solution I came up with has a lot of gears in it (mostly idlers) but it works well, and is geared so that 1st gear doesn't just lock up the rear wheels when the car is pushed along.  This version has reverse, neutral and 5 forward gears. 

640x643.jpg

 

1st-2nd - 1.667 step ratio

2nd-3rd - 1.333 step ratio   

3rd-4th - 1.250 step ratio

4th-5th - 1.200 step ratio

 

The Supercar

This time I decided that it would be my own design, but there were a few ideas from a few real cars that influenced the outcome, the car also adapts and builds on some ideas presented in other recent MOCs such as the gear shift/selector by Didumos69,  Here are some pictures. 

800x412.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x462.jpg

800x620.jpg

800x630.jpg

800x600.jpg

 

 

640x215.jpg

 

640x484.jpg

Edited by Pvdb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can say no more than this MUST go straight into the HoF.

I told you I'd be the first to comment :sweet:

Edited by grum64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow - amazing effort! I like the way you decided to build an amazing car just to demonstrate your new gearbox :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely amazing shaping.  The rear of this car really stands out for me.  Great combination of the white bent and curved 6x3 panel over the trans clear red to form the rear lights!  I also love the use of the 21/22 small panels in black to form the rear windshield.

I hope you will be producing a video to showcase the gearbox in action and as I'm about to start working on your ONE:1 I too would love to build this down the road.  Hope you do make instructions :)

Thanks for sharing!

 

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I love it :wub: absolutely gorgeous! The details and shaping are spot on very well done! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great looking supercar and very interesting gearbox. The great number of extenders will introduce a lot of delay in the drivetrain and I have a little doubt about using so many idler gears, but much depends on the bracing and If you say it runs smoothly, I believe you. I would like to know a little more about the shifter in particular.

EDIT: I'v been able to read the shifter mechanism from the gearbox screenshot. I see the similarity with other MOCs now :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, love it!!:wub:

Very smart compact solution for the additional stepper, I might 'borrow' that idea on my 8speed gearbox:wink:

And the bodywork is amazing.

I say HOF!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is indeeed awesome! The proportions are very realistic for such a car, a thing that not many custom car model builders do right (I could name 4 including you).

I have one complaint though: the color shceme. With the interior and the chassis being dark grey, I had to have a second (third?) look to discover that the model isn't unfinished. At first glances I though it was a WIP as it seemed it didn't have a cockpit interior yet. But that's maybe just me. (sorry for my English, I'm pretty sure I made mistakes with the tenses too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow... this is such a lovely car. To know... somehow you’ve fit that monstrosity of a gearbox into this car, it’s a real work of art!! The lines flow so well all over the car. The only complaint is the similarity to Madoca’s 1:10 Icarus. I wouldn’t normally point this out, but the front hood and doors look similar. 

I’m  very much looking forward to how that you gear box works and a video of the functions. Great to see you back at it after a year off!

Edited by Lox Lego

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lox Lego said:

Wow... this is such a lovely car. To know... somehow you’ve fit that monstrosity of a gearbox into this car, it’s a real work of art!! The lines flow so well all over the car. The only complaint is the similarity to Madoca’s 1:10 Icarus. I wouldn’t normally point this out, but the front hood and doors look similar. 

I’m  very much looking forward to how that you gear box works and a video of the functions. Great to see you back at it after a year off!

Cheers Lox Lego, The gear box looks bigger than it actually is in that CAD image, the only slight issue was the length of it including the shifter, but it fits pretty perfectly under the V10 engine.  Regarding the front end, there are a couple of panels in similar location to Madoca's Icarus, but the whole front end was pretty much designed from the ground up in the end.  Saying that, I am glad there is a little bit of Icarus front end left in this car as I really like Madoca's design.  

7 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

It's excellent, but I see all @Madoca 1977's icarus in the front. The gearbox has far too many collar extenders.

I agree, the collar extenders are a neccesary evil in this design.  They introduce a bit of delay but this is only really apparent if you push the car back and forwards.  If you continue to push the car in a forwards direction while sequencing through the forward gears then there is minimal delay between gears as the gears and collars in the gearbox continue rotating in the same direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am now building @Didumos69's Hammerhead Supercar and have built many others MOCs by some of our more seasoned builders.  I begin my remarks with this only to point out how lucky we are to have great MOCs like this to enjoy and learn from. 

This model is a joy to try and digest.  The gearbox is wonderfully complex - So happy you stuck with the project!

I also agree with the color scheme as my only grip.  Light green front headlights with a different roof color than the rest of the build is not my favorite. 

However, overall - absolute joy to see and learn from.  Thanks for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very, very slick looking car :wub:

As others have mentioned it does borrow design clues from other MOC's (I also see a bit of Nathaniel's Predator), but that is not different in real life. But what this model really sets apart for me is that gearbox. Even though it looks (overly?) complicated, having a  5D+N+R sequential gearbox in that scale is truly innovative. It ticks for me all the boxes for a real LEGO Technic supercar:

- fancy gearbox? check
- smooth lines? check
- crazy doormechanism? check
- interesting design solutions? check

My compliments:thumbup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Great looking supercar and very interesting gearbox. The great number of extenders will introduce a lot of delay in the drivetrain and I have a little doubt about using so many idler gears, but much depends on the bracing and If you say it runs smoothly, I believe you. I would like to know a little more about the shifter in particular.

EDIT: I'v been able to read the shifter mechanism from the gearbox screenshot. I see the similarity with other MOCs now :wink:.

Yes, your shifter mech works well and has enough power to drive the additional toggle that switches between the low and high range gears.    

2 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I am now building @Didumos69's Hammerhead Supercar and have built many others MOCs by some of our more seasoned builders.  I begin my remarks with this only to point out how lucky we are to have great MOCs like this to enjoy and learn from. 

This model is a joy to try and digest.  The gearbox is wonderfully complex - So happy you stuck with the project!

I also agree with the color scheme as my only grip.  Light green front headlights with a different roof color than the rest of the build is not my favorite. 

However, overall - absolute joy to see and learn from.  Thanks for sharing. 

The headlights!!  my oldest boy hates these lime green headlights and keeps switching them to trans clear whenever I am not around :wink:   but I think that is a bit bland!

In terms of colour, I really wanted to use some of the new blues for this car but the range of parts in these colours isnt yet wide enough.  Given the curved panels for the roof, black is the only colour that you can built this car in its entirity :blush:

The back end was a little bit inspired by the Venom F5 below although not intended to be identical, thus I also used the cocnept of black roof etc.

NAZ_50d7eaac4b6546b89f772d7c6ad4463f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pvdb said:

The headlights!!  my oldest boy hates these lime green headlights and keeps switching them to trans clear whenever I am not around :wink:   but I think that is a bit bland!

I think trans-light blue trans-medium blue would work better than trans-neon green. In my opion a blue shade over front lights works very well in general. The Venom you're showing has a bit of blue in it's headlights too.

x346.png

Btw, there is one thing I like about the bodywork in particular: the bottom side of the front window sits deeper than the start of the hood. For me this adds a lot to realism as it is very common for sports cars - even for normal cars - to have the front window extend underneath the hood, but I don't recall seeing anything like it in MOCs, also not in @Madoca 1977's Icarus.

Edited by Didumos69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.