26002748617_10c5302680_c.jpg

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if...." No wait, that's not what I meant!!

In 1990 a group of people came together to share an extraordinary ambition – to construct a brand new Peppercorn A1 Pacific.  They formed The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust and after nineteen years of incredible effort that locomotive, No. 60163 Tornado, moved under its own power for the first time in 2008. - https://www.a1steam.com

Having created my first MOC (link), I was keen to improve. Mostly the running performance (the pistons never worked that well), the look of the engine, the carriage, its ability through switches and the playability.... so, basically everything. Looking for inspiration on the 'net I came across 60163 in her blue livery and loved it. I had found my Emerald nights' partner steam train. 3 years later, I'm very happy to present my Blue Tornado!

27004508588_5d9e8f5363_c.jpg

40874632801_304f21a796_c.jpg

Full Flickr album here - Link

26002747687_375e8d6bde.jpg    26002747547_ac44292be2.jpg    26002746837_6c1253864a.jpg

The dual axles for the smooth running of the pistons isn't very realistic compared to the original, but this was a trade off between usability (kid proofing), smooth running and accuracy. 7 Wide for the train and carriage allows for so much more detail and usable space, but presents some tricky issues.

The white lines are thin modelling stickers the rest is all genuine lego, with no modifications. Only two parts aren't in current production (in the right colours) the 6L grey axle and 'Roof tile 2x1x2' in blue. I liked the challenge of production parts only, and the lower BL cost, even though the proportions are now off.

Design details:

40166864144_588dc546b6.jpg   40166862644_cb2efb0bcf.jpg  

The driver wheels are inset by about 1/2 a plate into the body to make them appear bigger than they are. It also allows for a lower centre of gravity to make sure it doesn't derail at full speed around corners! The second picture also shows how I kept the top 'rail' stable whilst maintaining the colour scheme. The two single black studs on the left side are '1x1 with hole' with a 'Technic, Axle Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and 1L Axle' through the whole section. 3 3x2 black tiles were removed, along with the whole 'boiler' and roof of the cab (it's all one assembly). Front and rear bogies have vertical and lateral movement for non flat lego track.

26002747387_8efa406a78_c.jpg

Couple of Youtube videos: (Part 1 (below) and Part 2)

Finally I've added it to LEGO ideas. More in the hope of trying to get another Creator Expert train out of LEGO or to show that there is still love for trains in general. It'd be great to get your support :) 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/fc675426-9e80-4c8b-bab3-b99be6983312

Good luck on your journey to 10,000 supporters, as you've certainly built one stunning beauty! Probably one of the best looking locomotives on Ideas right now! :thumbup: :sweet:

On 20/03/2018 at 6:46 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Good luck on your journey to 10,000 supporters, as you've certainly built one stunning beauty! Probably one of the best looking locomotives on Ideas right now! :thumbup: :sweet:

Many thanks - and thanks for the help promoting!

On 20/03/2018 at 8:24 PM, Andy Glascott said:

Very impressive. A friend of mine back in the UK just worked the footplate on Tornado, this is a great rendition of that loco.

Thanks and wow! I hope to visit the real loco soon, at least as soon as the weather warms up

18 hours ago, judegreer said:

Wow, it's beautiful.  Great job!  I'm throwing my support behind it right now.

Many thanks!

You've got my support.

I checked your comments and sure enough that EDxAS guy posted there. No kidding that guy supports and comments on everything in a desperate attempt to raise awareness of his own idea. So annoying.

Incredible!!!

I've made sure I supported the project on Lego Ideas, would love to see it as an official set! Tornado is a favorite engine of mine :wub:

20 hours ago, 3797 said:

You've got my support.

I checked your comments and sure enough that EDxAS guy posted there. No kidding that guy supports and comments on everything in a desperate attempt to raise awareness of his own idea. So annoying.

Thank you. Haha, just had a browse and you are right! He's not doing badly though, 8.5k supporters!

19 hours ago, Bricksmith said:

Incredible!!!

I've made sure I supported the project on Lego Ideas, would love to see it as an official set! Tornado is a favorite engine of mine :wub:

Many thanks, mine too :) You've built some fabulous engines btw! Cracking work :classic:

12 hours ago, Asper said:

Wonderful engine!

Good luck for the ideas project.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Do you have a public Flickr page? I noticed all your pictures attached here are only Static Flickr images.

Hopefully this works? https://www.flickr.com/photos/59826571@N07/albums/72157666836562328/with/27004508588/ 

Think I messed up the permissions somehow.

1 hour ago, icemorons said:

Supported

Many thanks!

Edited by dylanfarrow

1 hour ago, dylanfarrow said:

Hopefully this works!

Yes, thank you! :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 3/20/2018 at 10:54 AM, dylanfarrow said:

Front and rear bogies have vertical and lateral movement for non flat lego track.

Fantastic work! I'm trying to get the front bogie on my 4-4-0 more reliable, could you post a pic or two of the underside so I can see how you handled attaching them?

On 23/03/2018 at 7:07 PM, 577 said:

Amazing, just supported it on lego ideas :classic:

Many thanks :)

On 31/03/2018 at 7:39 PM, sed6 said:

Fantastic work! I'm trying to get the front bogie on my 4-4-0 more reliable, could you post a pic or two of the underside so I can see how you handled attaching them?

Thank you. Sorry for the delay as I've been away. Hopefully this will help:

41171740642_47cf54d0ab_c.jpg

The Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 3 Thick gives it horizontal movement, crucially at two different points. If I didn't have the yellow liftarm and connected the light blue to the purple you can derail the bogie quite easily - The front bogie needs to turn as well as shift horizontally left or right when it goes around corners.

The purple Plate, Modified 3 x 2 with Hole gives me studs to secure to the bogie, and I purposely added as many bricks as possible to the bogie to give it as much weight as I could. The light blue Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 2 Pin Holes gives the vertical movement and is secured on an 4L axle with stop and two yellow Technic Bush 1/2 Smooth to stop any horizontal movement. I built it in this way to create the required distance between the driving wheels and front bogie. The two 'Aqua' plates are really a single 4 stud wide plate, but that obscured the view. This is here to secure the wheel assembly and to limit the downward vertical movement when picking up the engine.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Your design looks great and just might be the solution to my problems. 

What a nice looking engine. Could you possible dm me the engine file please? I am working on my own engine and having an engine to help me out would be so helpful.