TwistLaw

[RUMOR] Bionicle might be returning in 2019

Nope, this is not gonna be one of those threads. This one has a tiny, spicy detail to point out.

iiWP1jD.jpg

If you search on Google "Bionicle 2019", you'll be redirected to a Brickset page named "Bionicle-Reboot", next to the usual "X Theme Y Year" Brickset displays. Quite strange, since if you search any other future year, from 2020 onwards...

pHpEp8F.jpg

...you only get the generic (empty) page.

This is an objectively strange occurrence that might (mind you, might) mean something more interesting. I'm the first one to be intrigued, since until few hours ago I was 100% sure LEGO just wanted to get rid of constraction. But now there's this old curse called hope that has struck me again...

Take all of this with a grain of salt, of course. Some of us were sure a new CCBS theme would have come out this year, some others were sure Star Wars CCBS had a bright future.
But this time, it looks like we have the right to be delusional.

https://brickset.com/about

"His roles at Brickset are to maintain the website and database code (he's the only one that does this), to continually evolve it to ensure it remains the best LEGO database on the web, and to keep it updated with news, set information, photos and so on."

"he's the only one that does this"

"only one"

Someone must contact Huw about this posthaste

13 minutes ago, Mesonak said:

https://brickset.com/about

"His roles at Brickset are to maintain the website and database code (he's the only one that does this), to continually evolve it to ensure it remains the best LEGO database on the web, and to keep it updated with news, set information, photos and so on."

"he's the only one that does this"

"only one"

Someone must contact Huw about this posthaste

Are you telling me the only one who could have possibly added that "Bionicle Reboot" page is... Brickset's big boss himself?
Are you telling me he MIGHT HAVE SPILLED THE BEANS?

Or he just trolled the saddest LEGO community out there?

9 minutes ago, TwistLaw said:

Are you telling me the only one who could have possibly added that "Bionicle Reboot" page is... Brickset's big boss himself?
Are you telling me he MIGHT HAVE SPILLED THE BEANS?

Or he just trolled the saddest LEGO community out there?

I read a little bit further down, and it might be a little more complex than I first thought:

"Database Administrators

Can add to and edit the main set database

Alicee, ASIN, CapnRex101, DrDaveWatford, dulcaoin, Grahame, Huw, SMC, TheBrickPal, wjoeyjones"

So there is a small pool of individuals who could have created the entry, in the interest of fairness.

EDIT: Just considered the possibility it's an April Fools Day joke that's just been discovered early.

Edited by Mesonak

1 minute ago, Mesonak said:

I read a little bit further down, and it might be a little more complex than I first thought:

"Database Administrators

Can add to and edit the main set database

Alicee, ASIN, CapnRex101, DrDaveWatford, dulcaoin, Grahame, Huw, SMC, TheBrickPal, wjoeyjones"

So there is a small pool of individuals who could have done created the entry.

Well, we're still pretty far from some random troll adding the page for his own amusement.

There would be no concrete reason for anyone from Brickset's staff (especially if the "culprit" could be found amongst so few people) to add a page with such a specific title. That's not a placeholder, it specifically says "Bionicle REBOOT". And it says "2019". And only 11 people in the whole wolrd (counting Huw) could have done it.

I have 2013 flashbacks, when that guy on Linkedin wrote he was working on a new CCBS theme. Holy hell.

12 minutes ago, Mesonak said:

EDIT: Just considered the possibility it's an April Fools Day joke that's just been discovered early.

I want to die

42 minutes ago, Mesonak said:

It's either that or a major troll. Nothing else it could feasibly be.

Honestly, as much as I'd love this, there's no way I can see this happening given G2's pretty substantial financial failure and premature cancellation. Maybe a new constraction theme, as rumors have been swirling to that end, but I'd doubt a big Bionicle comeback just a few years after the sudden cancellation of G2.

Would be quite ballsy move by Lego, if it were actually true.

I see the change of an another re-boot at the very bottom tho. A new constraction theme alone feels like an unicorn in the current situation. Huw has shown he ain't that keen on constraction or it's fans in the past, leading me to believe this is one cruel joke more than anything else.

You want to believe, I want to believe, but we have to be realistic about this.

11 minutes ago, Yeow said:

Nothing has to be added by anyone to make that link work though. You can replace "Bionicle" and "Reboot" with anything and it'll still turn up with the same page.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-aethaethe-zxcvzxczdew?query=3142

You're missing the point. It's not the link itself, but the fact it appears if you google "Bionicle 2019".
By now I'm pretty sure myself it's a hoax, but at least it was worth talking about.

(ironically googling "Bionicle 2019" now also shows this very thread, or at least this is what's happening to me)

Edited by TwistLaw

7 minutes ago, TwistLaw said:

You're missing the point. It's not the link itself, but the fact it appears if you google "Bionicle 2019".
By now I'm pretty sure myself it's a hoax, but at least it was worth talking about.

(ironically googling "Bionicle 2019" now also shows this very thread, or at least this is what's happening to me)

I'm not missing the point. As this thread has shown, it takes a trivial amount of traffic in order to push a result towards the top of a Google search, particularly a topic that probably isn't Googled all that much in the first place. The fact that you can generate a valid Brickset link containing the text of your choosing without it 404'ing does seem to suggest this is a hoax of some sort. I don't think it's a hoax on the part of Brickset, but it could be due to someone else.

I really wish I could eat my words though.

One have got to be a very sad man, if they think that Bionicle will return in 2019 or 2020. Especially with the fact that G2 sold horribly, not to mention with that recently 2 Star Wars Ultrabuild set has been cancelled. 

59 minutes ago, Yeow said:

I'm not missing the point. As this thread has shown, it takes a trivial amount of traffic in order to push a result towards the top of a Google search, particularly a topic that probably isn't Googled all that much in the first place. The fact that you can generate a valid Brickset link containing the text of your choosing without it 404'ing does seem to suggest this is a hoax of some sort. I don't think it's a hoax on the part of Brickset, but it could be due to someone else.

I really wish I could eat my words though.

If this is not Brickset's doing, it doesn't necessarily mean someone changed the url just to mislead, people can be just curious.

I mean, you were first to even point the possibility of this happening just because of Google.

Edited by GK733

43 minutes ago, GK733 said:

If this is not Brickset's doing, it doesn't necessarily mean someone changed the url just to mislead, people can be just curious.

I mean, you were first to even point the possibility of this happening just because of Google.

I was just saying it was theoretically possible for someone to come up with that link themselves and then have a lot of other people click on it to drive it's ranking in the search results higher. Besides, G1 and G2 are grouped together in the same category (Bionicle [Theme]) on Brickset, and presumably G3 would probably be in the same category, not Bionicle Reboot.

I'll consider it a prank by Brickset staff until proven otherwise, even then, with how lego handled G2, I dont think I can even feel hyped for any story elements of G3, but hey, parts

Perhaps, it's just a placeholder for a new constraction line overall; in other words, the Bionicle designation is only a placeholder name given that it is Lego's first and most well known constraction theme.

4 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps, it's just a placeholder for a new constraction line overall; in other words, the Bionicle designation is only a placeholder name given that it is Lego's first and most well known constraction theme.

My thoughts exactly. I'm probably just being hopeful for a new constraction line, but its possible that whoever wrote it didn't know/care to use constraction and used Bionicle instead. It probably wouldn't have the same response as saying "hero factory 2019" even though it would be more likely. 

Its still unlikely but its more likely than another Bionicle reboot

Edited by Mitch Henry
Fixing a typo

Just now, Mitch Henry said:

I'm probably just being hopeful for a new constraction line, but its possible that whoever wrote it didn't know/care to use constraction and used Bionicle instead. 

Perhaps it may be that "computer world" line we heard rumored about a little while ago?

1 minute ago, The Underscored Double said:

I think it may be possible that Lego may be bringing Bionicle back as a Big Bang system theme to replace Nexo Knights

How do you replace a System theme with a Constraction theme? You can argue they could turn Bionicle into a System theme (NoGodPleaseNo.webm), but the playsets released during 2005-2007 were proven flops.

1 minute ago, Shakar said:

How do you replace a System theme with a Constraction theme? You can argue they could turn Bionicle into a System theme (NoGodPleaseNo.webm), but the playsets released during 2005-2007 were proven flops.

No, they weren't "proven flops". I don't want to go too off-topic here, but did we ever hear any word on how well the playsets sold at retail? They seemed pretty fantastic to me, and still are. As 2018 sets, they'd be terrible, but as 2006 sets? They were fine.

Edited by Azani

2 minutes ago, Azani said:

No, they weren't "proven flops". I don't want to go too off-topic here, but did we ever hear any word on how well the playsets sold at retail? They seemed pretty fantastic to me, and still are. As 2018 sets, they'd be terrible, but as 2006 sets? They were fine.

I assumed they sold badly? That's what I heard. I didn't necessarily hate them, but I don't think they were a financial success or we would've seen more of them.

Heh. I'll believe it when I see it. 

But if it turned out to be true, I'd be more upset that it isn't a new Constraction theme but instead the third iteration of Bionicle. Why can't I have something new? Let Bionicle rest in peace.

10 minutes ago, Shakar said:

I assumed they sold badly? That's what I heard. I didn't necessarily hate them, but I don't think they were a financial success or we would've seen more of them.

Yeah, I mean, maybe. It's definitely true that they didn't last in any capacity for a particularly long while, and I get that. I don't think that they were much worse than the average "themed" system ste from that era, though.

I'd love for this to be true, and it's intriguing, but it's worth noting that Yeow is absolutely right. Maybe a lot of folks are searching up the term "Bionicle 2019"?

8 hours ago, GK733 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Brickset can run a better prank than this. :)

Edited by Azani