TwistLaw

[RUMOR] Bionicle might be returning in 2019

34 minutes ago, Shakar said:

How do you replace a System theme with a Constraction theme? You can argue they could turn Bionicle into a System theme (NoGodPleaseNo.webm), but the playsets released during 2005-2007 were proven flops.

TTV's Brickonicle fan project has proven that there is plenty of potential for well-made Bionicle system sets. I encourage you to check out people's mock-ups of viable sets, you'll be surprised at how cool they are.

alright first off, this is obviously fake and if you think it's true, then you must be the saddest man on earth. BIONICLE and ccbs as a whole are dead and won't be used for anything in the near future considering that two sw ccbs were canned. 

so I'm asking this question, why the megabluck are people this dumb? like right now people in a lot of discord servers I'm in (r/bionicle and the bionicle 4chan group comes to mind) are making fun of you guys for being total idiots AND telling them about it.

listen, it's a dead joke and move on with your life please.

BIONICLE is never coming back.

leave it at that and stop stiring more shit up for christ's sake...

2 hours ago, ToaSerwain said:

alright first off, this is obviously fake and if you think it's true, then you must be the saddest man on earth. BIONICLE and ccbs as a whole are dead and won't be used for anything in the near future considering that two sw ccbs were canned. 

so I'm asking this question, why the megabluck are people this dumb? like right now people in a lot of discord servers I'm in (r/bionicle and the bionicle 4chan group comes to mind) are making fun of you guys for being total idiots AND telling them about it.

I mean, I agree that a Brickset link with nothing in it is hardly evidence of anything, but you could maybe try being less of a jerk to the other members here? I'm as tired of Bionicle discussion that revolves primarily around how/when/if Bionicle will be brought back as anyone, but even I care a heck of a lot more about that than what the trolls and edgelords on sites like 4chan have to say about the community here behind our backs.

18 hours ago, ToaSerwain said:

Cry me a river, Ace. Nobody here cares about the discord.

I think at this point there's no one on EB believing in any kind of reboot/other new theme erroneously labeled as Bionicle. In ten days we'll "find out" it was le ebin trole by Huw and that would be the end of it.

If your jimmies are really that rustled, go to Maskposting. There are still some people believing this hoax down there, you'll be able to engage in a battle of wits far more suited to you.

19 hours ago, The Underscored Double said:

TTV's Brickonicle fan project has proven that there is plenty of potential for well-made Bionicle system sets. I encourage you to check out people's mock-ups of viable sets, you'll be surprised at how cool they are.

Bionicle but built with bricks wouldn't be Bionicle. It happened during G1 and more than 10 years later MISB sets are selling at a lower price than when they came out.
The entire point of constraction would be defeated it its flagship theme became an exclusively System-based one, something hard to set apart from Ninjago or Chima. Not understanding this mean you don't understand the foundations of Bionicle.

(looks like it didn't merge the posts, @VBBN I need your help here)

Edited by Leewan
Messages merged

1 hour ago, TwistLaw said:

Bionicle but built with bricks wouldn't be Bionicle. It happened during G1 and more than 10 years later MISB sets are selling at a lower price than when they came out.
The entire point of constraction would be defeated it its flagship theme became an exclusively System-based one, something hard to set apart from Ninjago or Chima. Not understanding this mean you don't understand the foundations of Bionicle.

(looks like it didn't merge the posts, @VBBN I need your help here)

I don't think those official system BIONICLE sets are representative of the best that LEGO could do in the modern era, nor are they a good indication of BIONICLE's system potential (they didn't even feature real Minifigures!)

I understand different people value different things about BIONICLE, though. For me, while the sets are the core product, the aesthetic of BIONICLE matters most, and is what I would call the "foundation"; tribal and technological influences mixed together. I think that could be very easily communicated through System sets, even moreso than Constraction as we would be able to get more Rahi builds and possibly some buildings as well.

Seriously, this, thisthis, or this....... versus this or THIS. BIONICLE could totally work as a System theme. It could even still have a constraction component like Chima did if the budget was high enough.

Edited by Mesonak

1 hour ago, Mesonak said:

I don't think those official system BIONICLE sets are representative of the best that LEGO could do in the modern era, nor are they a good indication of BIONICLE's system potential (they didn't even feature real Minifigures!)

I understand different people value different things about BIONICLE, though. For me, while the sets are the core product, the aesthetic of BIONICLE matters most, and is what I would call the "foundation"; tribal and technological influences mixed together. I think that could be very easily communicated through System sets, even moreso than Constraction as we would be able to get more Rahi builds and possibly some buildings as well.

Seriously, this, thisthis, or this....... versus this or THIS. BIONICLE could totally work as a System theme. It could even still have a constraction component like Chima did if the budget was high enough.

The foundations of something like BIONICLE can be both "spiritual" and "phisical". While you're right that "spiritually" the core of BIONICLE could be expressed with anything (even traditional action figures, let alone, yes, System), there's only one way to give life to BIONICLE, and that is through buildable action figures. Not because "it's always been like that", but because BIONICLE is constraction, and this has always been a fundamental part of its identity. Of the way it was sold, of the way it was perceived by customers, of the way it was played with. BIONICLE's success was a combination of ideas and executions nowhere else to be seen, in such a strong way one couldn't exist without the other one.

You can't have the Bohrok with bricks, you can't have gear functions on your figures, you can't have masks working in the classic sense... you get the idea. You would have tons of playsets and bikes, sure, but that's not what BIONICLE has been known for. And this is a fundamental detail anybody dealing with BIONICLE on a semi-professional level should know.

In short, there can be BIONICLE with bricks. But it wouldn't be BIONICLE anymore.

13 minutes ago, TwistLaw said:

The foundations of something like BIONICLE can be both "spiritual" and "phisical". While you're right that "spiritually" the core of BIONICLE could be expressed with anything (even traditional action figures, let alone, yes, System), there's only one way to give life to BIONICLE, and that is through buildable action figures. Not because "it's always been like that", but because BIONICLE is constraction, and this has always been a fundamental part of its identity. Of the way it was sold, of the way it was perceived by customers, of the way it was played with. BIONICLE's success was a combination of ideas and executions nowhere else to be seen, in such a strong way one couldn't exist without the other one.

You can't have the Bohrok with bricks, you can't have gear functions on your figures, you can't have masks working in the classic sense... you get the idea. You would have tons of playsets and bikes, sure, but that's not what BIONICLE has been known for. And this is a fundamental detail anybody dealing with BIONICLE on a semi-professional level should know.

In short, there can be BIONICLE with bricks. But it wouldn't be BIONICLE anymore.

That's a pretty fair point of view in regards to the perception of BIONICLE. I think it could make the transition very efficiently into System, but I won't debate you on how it would be perceived because I do respect the viewpoint that constraction is integral to its identity.

As far as having the Bohrok with Bricks is concerned.... well, yeah. I know you're probably talking about gear functions, but even still. :P

The Mixel joint system has opened up many possibilities when it comes to the advancement of "Characters and Creatures" built out of System. If you ever have the time or interest, I'd encourage you to peruse the entry list of this topic or just check out our "Brickonicle" Creative Content forum. I feel like the stereotype that you could have nothing but "bikes, mechs, and crazy vehicles" has been adequately disproven (though some of that stuff is totally fine in moderation, too!) and with some more advancements to the formula, the Mixel Joint system could be a good companion piece to preserve the legacy of Constraction in a new and distinct way.

7 minutes ago, Mesonak said:

If you ever have the time or interest, I'd encourage you to peruse the entry list of this topic or just check out our "Brickonicle" Creative Content forum. I feel like the stereotype that you could have nothing but "bikes, mechs, and crazy vehicles" has been adequately disproven (though some of that stuff is totally fine in moderation, too!) and with some more advancements to the formula, the Mixel Joint system could be a good companion piece to preserve the legacy of Constraction in a new and distinct way.

I know about your project and I already had the chance to see some of the entries. While they look good and all, whenever I see them I think that... it's not Bionicle. I wouldn't play with it like I usually play with my sets and mocs, heck, I couldn't even make mocs like I'm used to! It would be just a different thing entirely. Another Chima, another Ninjago, something that may be successful, sure, but wouldn't need the Bionicle name. Let the "robots fighting in brick-built scenarios riding bikes and much-more-than-that (assuming that in the real world LEGO would be doing more than just bikes and mechas, of course)" be its own thing, and let Bionicle rest in peace.

9 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I mean, I agree that a Brickset link with nothing in it is hardly evidence of anything, but you could maybe try being less of a jerk to the other members here?

and I understand why, but geez, the thing that bugs me out the most is why all of this gets attention 24/7 - yall remember the votobert/whatever it was leak and people went crazy over it, even though there was little to no truth over its existence. 

I'm going to say this however, we all fell for the bait, we all are dumb. 

next time man I just hope this community learns from this and sees how stupid these "leaks"/claims can be at times.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to System Bionicle sets if they were like the Brickonicle project ones and not like the 05-07 sets.  I was always a big fan of how the environments looked  in the comics and movies and I was disappointed that the official System sets never really took full advantage of those designs.  If those Brickonicle sets were real, I would very likely buy some of them, especially if the minifigure designs were ironed out a bit to better resemble the characters.

14 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

Cry me a river, Ace. Nobody here cares about the discord.

Ace never had an account on EB and never will, there is absolutely no reason to bring drama regarding Discord here, you are making yourself look like a fool.

6 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

I actually wouldn't be opposed to System Bionicle sets if they were like the Brickonicle project ones and not like the 05-07 sets.  I was always a big fan of how the environments looked  in the comics and movies and I was disappointed that the official System sets never really took full advantage of those designs.  If those Brickonicle sets were real, I would very likely buy some of them, especially if the minifigure designs were ironed out a bit to better resemble the characters.

But what would be the point sales wise? As long as Ninjago sticks around The two themes would just cannibalize each other. The reception of the movie may put it's longevity in question but I have serious doubts "the men in suits" would see slapping Bionicle's name on Ninjago as the best option if it starts waning. I have disagreements with TTV's project, but if anything "Brickionicle" shows why the idea would just not work in the current situation, it is way, way too similar to a standard Lego action theme.

10 hours ago, Mesonak said:

Mixel Joint system could be a good companion piece to preserve the legacy of Constraction in a new and distinct way.

It ain't a crazy idea, it might just work, but it likely would still have way too much weight on the minifigs making it indistinguishable from a standard Lego action theme.We may only speculate but While Nexo probably, or almost hit it's mark it was less than what was likely excepted. There ain't much room for other original action themes than Ninjago.

I'd see Lego doing technic animals (with the occasional mixel/system or ccbs piece here and there) as more likely thing to happen than system Bionicle. Seriously, somebody needs to pitch that idea. I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be room for more cheap-medium priced sets in technic, no worries of the extra licensing costs either.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:55 AM, ToaSerwain said:

Holy crap.

Are you alright, dude? Yes, it's not a sign or a promise; yes, we won't see anything like G1 for a long, long, time - if we ever do. But man, there's no need to be so intense about it; we're just speculating, dude. We may still have SW constraction kits to look forward to, which is pretty fantastic, and there's no indication that TLG is getting rid of CCBS 100%. I mean, TLG doesn't really work like that.

Anyways, you're not anonymous on here like you'd be over on 4chan, so we can see who's behind all the silly things that you're saying. Just a heads-up.

Quick thought on this:

23 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

...Bionicle but built with bricks wouldn't be Bionicle. It happened during G1 and more than 10 years later MISB sets are selling at a lower price than when they came out.

(looks like it didn't merge the posts, @ VBBN I need your help here)

Sure, but here's the thing. You've got some good points, irrespective of the fact that I'm in agreement with @Mesonak on this one. If it makes you feel any better, it took a lot to convince me. However, dude, you had to add this:

23 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

Not understanding this mean you don't understand the foundations of Bionicle.

Haha, so, yeah... that's not true. Even if someone disagrees sharply on a subject that you feel strongly about, you don't get to decide that they just "don't understand" the topic as well as you do. C'mon.

Am I the only one who likes the Bionicle 05-07 system sets? Sure, they could’ve been better. Many of them were vehicles and the only playsets that were there were mostly structures and no landscapes. Even then, the 2006 buildings were evocative of the feel of that year and the use of large scale Bionicle pieces and masks in conjunction with the ‘minifigures’ were consistent with the large statues and sculptures usually seen in the worlds of Bionicle. Most of the 06 sets were canon, the 05 sets felt like Metru Nui for the most part and the top of the Tower of Toa even looked like the balcony of the spire on the Coliseum. 07 consisted of only vehicles unfortunately, and no underwater scenery, but the Toa terrain crawler is great. Overall the different scale was a great way to get some more of the worlds and locations instead of just the figures.

That being said, they did lack the environments and the sets were mostly big but empty and lacking in details in some places. The brickonicle sets look very lush and it would indeed be great to see the world of 01 translated to brick form. However, while I like the visual style a lot and think it is unique enough, I don’t think the playsets would really stand out all that much to new Lego customers when compared with other action themes. I probably wouldn’t buy them if they didn’t have the Bionicle logo slapped on them, but that’s also because I don’t collect original Lego themes (Star Wars takes up too much of my budget).

I believe this rumor is absolutely false, although I would like updated versions of characters from the Mata-Nui timeline called "Bionicle Classics".

Oh you sweet summer children.

4 hours ago, JekPorkchops said:

Am I the only one who likes the Bionicle 05-07 system sets? Sure, they could’ve been better. Many of them were vehicles and the only playsets that were there were mostly structures and no landscapes. Even then, the 2006 buildings were evocative of the feel of that year and the use of large scale Bionicle pieces and masks in conjunction with the ‘minifigures’ were consistent with the large statues and sculptures usually seen in the worlds of Bionicle. Most of the 06 sets were canon, the 05 sets felt like Metru Nui for the most part and the top of the Tower of Toa even looked like the balcony of the spire on the Coliseum. 07 consisted of only vehicles unfortunately, and no underwater scenery, but the Toa terrain crawler is great. Overall the different scale was a great way to get some more of the worlds and locations instead of just the figures.

That being said, they did lack the environments and the sets were mostly big but empty and lacking in details in some places. The brickonicle sets look very lush and it would indeed be great to see the world of 01 translated to brick form. However, while I like the visual style a lot and think it is unique enough, I don’t think the playsets would really stand out all that much to new Lego customers when compared with other action themes. I probably wouldn’t buy them if they didn’t have the Bionicle logo slapped on them, but that’s also because I don’t collect original Lego themes (Star Wars takes up too much of my budget).

I also liked the 05-07 playsets, even if I didn't collect many of them (after 05 they were too much of a budget breaker); they were this really fun, quirky way of fusing a bit of System and Technic/CCBS to interesting results. When you compare them to certain architecture and building sets that LEGO has done I can see why people might not be as amazed, but they definitely felt like BIONICLE sets, and a three year run is actually pretty impressive. Not to mention that LEGO also does plenty of sets at that price point to this day with the same amount of depth or features.

50 minutes ago, Dorek said:

Oh you sweet summer children.

I also liked the 05-07 playsets, even if I didn't collect many of them (after 05 they were too much of a budget breaker); they were this really fun, quirky way of fusing a bit of System and Technic/CCBS to interesting results. When you compare them to certain architecture and building sets that LEGO has done I can see why people might not be as amazed, but they definitely felt like BIONICLE sets, and a three year run is actually pretty impressive. Not to mention that LEGO also does plenty of sets at that price point to this day with the same amount of depth or features.

I would've loved to see sets like this for G2, especially if they used more articulated sorts of figures like the Hero-figs from Invasion From Below. One drawback of Bionicle's and focus on large-scale action figures is that the rich settings created for the characters to inhabit usually have gone completely unrepresented in the toys themselves, with the exception of that brief run of playsets from 2005 to 2007. Unfortunately, it wasn't really in the cards for G2—not when the constraction figures themselves struggled to find an audience.

And I don't really see a Bionicle revival based solely around System sets (without a constraction component), either. Invasion From Below probably wouldn't have impressed me nearly as much if not for converting established characters into minifigure form, and knowing the Bionicle fandom at large they'd probably react even more negatively to a primarily System-based revival than they did to a CCBS one. At best, perhaps a theme like Knights Kingdom II with fewer Constraction sets (mainly focused on the main heroes and a handful of villains) and more scaled down System playsets would work better... but I wouldn't put money on that happening.

23 hours ago, Azani said:

Even if someone disagrees sharply on a subject that you feel strongly about, you don't get to decide that they just "don't understand" the topic as well as you do.

There's not much to understand or debate. A huge part of what made BIONICLE a hit was due its nature of being a buildable action figure toy, with all that came with it: masks, functions, mocing in a way it had never been possibile before (or before 1999 if you wanna be pedantic). You take away the buildable action figure part, you take away at least a good 50% of what made BIONICLE special and different. Full stop.

While the fan project of BIONICLE with bricks is cute, it should remain just that: a fan project. There's really not much in those sets that would make this iteration of BIONICLE different from your average Ninjago or Chima, especially since LEGO would have no interest in realeasing such a similar theme to what they already produce (or have produced, in case this supposed Bio-brick would be replacing a declining Ninjago in the far-off future).

To stay on topic, if this 2019 reboot is real -and it's not- it will be constraction-based. There's only one system that needs BIONICLE, and it's constraction: System does already have its own, and it's called Ninjago.

1 minute ago, TwistLaw said:

There's not much to understand or debate.

There is.

If you decided to write anything else past that point for whatever reason, I didn't read it.

Besides System, what about Technic, as in an constraction theme that utilizes typical Technic parts instead of a specialized system? Such a theme could still introduce new parts, but they have to be more easily compatible with both Technic and System, and it should more focus on mechanical complexities instead of mere static posablility.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Besides System, what about Technic, as in an constraction theme that utilizes typical Technic parts instead of a specialized system? Such a theme could still introduce new parts, but they have to be more easily compatible with both Technic and System, and it should more focus on mechanical complexities instead of mere static posablility.

More or less the 2001 Rahi, right? I loved those, but even in today's Technic landscape, it would be hard to nail down the scale, since a lot of constraction's marketability (broadly speaking) came from impulse buys; I'd love to see an attempt though.

Mostly I just want something original and colorful. Star Wars was awfully drab and dull.

I’m hoping they bring back Hero Factory. While they should stay away from those unresolved cliffhangers, it really is mostly a mission of the week (in this case year) type of thing that offers good new parts and cheap sets. They don’t need a reboot, they can just start a new adventure in G1. They just need to introduce more Hero teams and more parts packs to build your own heroes.

11 hours ago, Dorek said:

I loved those, but even in today's Technic landscape, it would be hard to nail down the scale, since a lot of constraction's marketability (broadly speaking) came from impulse buys; I'd love to see an attempt though.

Personally, I think a line of Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em like constraction builds would be cool, a theme focused less upon a storyline and more upon competition and mechanical ingenuity. 

Like the 1997-1998 Competition subtheme of Technic and the 2001 line of Rahi in Bionicle, then.  I don't go for CCBS, but I just might get something like that.

We have an established thread to discuss future constraction line ideas, let's keep the discussion there.

Anyway, I'll be closing this as I don't see anything productive happening here.