Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-Royal Arsenal of Astrapi] The beginning of the works

Entering the port of the Royal Arsenal of Astrapi, it's hard to believe that only few months ago it was only a secluded bay, a safe place to shelter fishing boats from storms but not deep enough to host anything bigger than a corvette: the new military port, in fact, was built by the hard work of Oleander diggers and engeneers.

24667557607_1a50f308c4_z.jpg

39946574951_ba1424f36d_z.jpg

The first challenge was the laying of a double palisade across the entrance of the bay, about 400 metres wide; the barrier was strengthened with earth, sand and rocks coming from the foundation works of the Arsenal itself.

25075168557_0c1c1ed6a2_z.jpg

The poles forming the dam were deeply plunged into the sea bottom using a pile driver mounted on a boat: an heavy block of rock is lifted using a crane and then violently dropped on the pole,  hammering it in the sand; a ballast of stones, on the back, prevents the boat from capsizing.

39505561462_e1ab382af7_z.jpg

Meanwile, a group of "volounteers" is digging along the coastline in order to expose the solid rock below: soon a little fort will be built there that, with his twin on the other side of the bay, will welcome any unexpecte visitor with 36-pounder greetings.

38826357034_6f10767a5d_z.jpg

The "volounteers" are actually former pirates nicely host by Astrapi jail, who were given a chance to shorten their conviction or avoid the gallows; their work is hard, but they receive decent food, fresh water and can see the sunlight.

25664601018_1763b38f6c_z.jpg

A group of Astrapi inhabitants is removing some bush: a temporary road will be cut across the thicket in order to allow an easy arrival from Astrapi for the hundred of men that will be employed soon and for the building materials.

39048479235_1161881e67_z.jpg 

Spoiler

There is not a particular reason why they wear red clothes, I swear it! :pir-grin:

An overall view

24667539817_5e29ac6248_z.jpg

The pile driver again

24667551967_93edf8d44d_m.jpg

A coplue of volounteers

39914600292_8352e1aa7b_z.jpg

Some other pics of the building site

38826366244_ef1175b66e_z.jpg

39914606612_3b79c3cb4d_z.jpg

39505583692_7d950b1c52_z.jpg

This is the first of a series of three builds. I tried to depict the same area at the beginning (here), at about an half and at the end of the works. No pirate was badly hurt during the process.

Excellent build Keymonus. This is a convincing portrayal of the harbour works, I like the barrier and the pile driver mounted on boat. 

Great build, Keymonus. Your build and story really captures the construction process, and leaves me eagerly waiting to see the next build.

The pile driver is really well done, and you did a great job with the terrain. The water next to the rocks is nice, but the rest of the water seems lacking.  Perhaps you could use some more trans-clear pieces to show gentle waves in the open part of the water. 

Thank you @Bodi and @Captain Genaro! I posted the secon part right now, and the third will soon follow.

33 minutes ago, Captain Genaro said:

The water next to the rocks is nice, but the rest of the water seems lacking.  Perhaps you could use some more trans-clear pieces to show gentle waves in the open part of the water. 

Thank you for your piece of advice, but I realised that I do not own enough trans-clear pieces to add any other detail... since they are absolutely unexpensive I've planned to buy some more 2x1 trans-clear plate as soon as possible!

Edited by Keymonus

I read the Second part first, and let me say, this is a fantastic build even without all the cranes and in progress stuff. You are an excellent builder, and the idea is very creative! 

Thank you @Mesabi! Even if it is a quite simple build (basically minifig posing, landscape and a crane) I liked the idea of portraying the area at the very beginning of the works and show the changes :classic: