Wineyard

Grand Lodge

Hi!

Here is my entry to Brixtar's  Modular Building Challenge! This build was quite a challenge! I often build larger buildings, but this time I was restricted to a 32 x 32 stud footprint. Another challenge was to design a sturdy dome.

Anyway, I hope you like it! Comments and criticism are welcomed! 

27026435198_26042eb9e3_z.jpg

27026433998_6682624d3f_z.jpg

40855103862_c410a8971d_z.jpg

40855103582_38a4c9c421_z.jpg

27026433378_b6f41fecc3_z.jpg

40003437345_331a2e3bbc_z.jpg

That is fantastic, and captures some grandeur even on a 32x32 footprint!  I think your dome came out great; the flex axle really pulls that together while still matching the rest of the design/color scheme.  I especially like the stonework on the foundation.  The bars/ingots work so well for that, and then the little bit of detail with the smattering of masonry bricks higher up adds just the right amount of visual interest to that area without it getting too busy with all the window and column work.  Great build!  :sweet:

Fantastic build! The architectural details are very well done and perfectly balanced. I especiay like the large windows with the decoration and the base with the brick wall.

No Critic only a lot of Praise!!!!

the pilars are looking amazing!!!!

Great Great Work!!!!

Goodluck with the contest

Greetings

Absolutely gorgeous building. The combination of various build directions, interesting connections, color and parts usage combines for perfection. Love everything about it. :wub_drool:

I can only repeat what everyone above me said - absolutely georgeous building. It's very hard to recreate a classicistic building on a standard modular footprint, but you pulled it off with ease!

Everything about this design is stunning. The pillars, window and roof details are all amazing. The icing on the cake in my opinion is the dome, I'd love to see lego include something like this in an official modular. Brilliant! :classic:

Baroque MOC! Incredible modular! The dome, the architectural details, the color scheme, angles, techniques etc. Everything!!! You design beautiful Art Nouveau and Baroque buildings (my two of three favorite architectures)! 

5 hours ago, Wineyard said:

Another challenge was to design a sturdy dome.

But it’s definitely worth it! Looks so realistic! 

5 hours ago, Wineyard said:

criticism are welcomed! 

If someone can criticize this modular, he would better go find another hobby! 

The summary of my comment is :wub_drool:

Chapeau.

Edited by LegoModularFan

8 hours ago, Wineyard said:

Comments and criticism are welcomed! 

OK, I'll give it a try... but more of a question.  :wink:  Looking at the portico where its roof meets the main roofline of the building, how did you do that part?  Is there a bit of a gap there, or did you find a way to close up or connect that space?

Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, Gongoro73 said:

Perfect as it is, I still feel this needs a second floor.

Anyway, beautiful building. Congrats.

I kind of agree. I'm not really pleased with the proportions of the building. But a second floor would make the builing ridiculously tall, in comparison with the 32x32 baseplate.

13 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Baroque MOC! Incredible modular! The dome, the architectural details, the color scheme, angles, techniques etc. Everything!!! You design beautiful Art Nouveau and Baroque buildings (my two of three favorite architectures)! 

But it’s definitely worth it! Looks so realistic! 

If someone can criticize this modular, he would better go find another hobby! 

The summary of my comment is :wub_drool:

Chapeau.

What is the third one? (Looking for a hat trick ;) )

10 hours ago, deraven said:

OK, I'll give it a try... but more of a question.  :wink:  Looking at the portico where its roof meets the main roofline of the building, how did you do that part?  Is there a bit of a gap there, or did you find a way to close up or connect that space?

Do you mean the top of the niche? The semi-round shape is created with 6005s (Brick, Arch 1 x 3 x 2 Curved Top) and 87620s (Brick, Modified Facet 2 x 2). Does that make sense?

Truly amazing!  Great techniques that will be "borrowed" from this builder...real sweet details!

1 hour ago, Wineyard said:

I kind of agree. I'm not really pleased with the proportions of the building. But a second floor would make the builing ridiculously tall, in comparison with the 32x32 baseplate.

Agree. That's why you'll have to do a second version of this beauty with no 32x32 restrictions. ;)

Incredible modular MOC!  It would not surprise me if the Lego designers were inspired by some of the designs on the structure.  

15 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Everything about this design is stunning. The pillars, window and roof details are all amazing. The icing on the cake in my opinion is the dome, I'd love to see lego include something like this in an official modular. Brilliant! :classic:

A domed modular would be great.  They are always looking for new building techniques and details.   It might go best with a public structure such as a library or museum among others.  

38 minutes ago, Wineyard said:

What is the third one? (Looking for a hat trick ;) )

It’s medieval! I’m also a big fan of the Novelty and Gothic :classic: Anyway, I need to say again, this MOC is really inspiring :wub:

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, Gongoro73 said:

Agree. That's why you'll have to do a second version of this beauty with no 32x32 restrictions. ;)

Well, the future will tell ;)

5 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

A domed modular would be great.  They are always looking for new building techniques and details.   It might go best with a public structure such as a library or museum among others.  

I totally agree! Especially since it's such a typical element for 19th century architecture.

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

It’s medieval! I’m also a big fan of the Novelty and Gothic :classic: Anyway, I need to say again, this MOC is really inspiring :wub:

I might got you covered ;)

Great build. It seems like you also got inspiration from some of the previous modular buildings. Every detail has been perfected, and I especially like the addition of the minifigure!