sed6

Small layout on a door - now completely custom!

6 hours ago, sed6 said:

@Roadmonkeytj Glad you like! Indeed my signature line has a link to my bricksafe page. But since sigs don't show up on a mobile device, here you go. https://bricksafe.com/pages/sed6

Thanks ... Yea im primarily on mobile lol rarely on a computer ... First time I logged in to the laptop on EB I was like what are these awesome build links for people I had been interacting with for months lol

On 7/14/2018 at 1:39 AM, LegoDW said:

Like what you have done.  My only suggestion to you would be to start thinking about a multilevel layout...Think you could easily add a elevated loop or two to this layout.  

Fantastic idea! About the time you made this comment I started thinking about an elevated monorail. Below are the results of a couple months of thinking and planning.

2018-10-27_05-12-09

I did a lot of research in the Lego Monorails thread where I got ideas for how to make the track and power it. 

2018-10-27_05-19-41

Above, my design was influenced heavily by the Disney Monorails of the '70's and 80's. While their length is limited by the curve of the track I think I nailed the look of the windows and side skirts. 

2018-10-27_05-31-34

Above you can the very minimal 1.5 plate clearance between the cab and the rail. The battery sits that low as well to keep the CG down and increase stability. I'm going to extend the stripes onto the cab shortly with some stickers.

2018-10-27_05-38-01

Above is a shot from the other end. If you look closely you'll see my controller has grown to accommodate my layout growth also. First two, then four, now six trains in total on my layout. Look carefully and you'll find my 5th engine, a Tiny Green Switcher to help out in my yard. 

2018-10-27_05-35-55

Thanks for looking. Hope you like!

I just came across this thread.  Love the huge track layout on such a small space.  I'm struggling with space and Lego trains and thinking of going back to N Gauge - but maybe not!

@sed6 Really great update to the small layout!  How did you assemble the monorail track?   It's the curves I'm most interested in.   Can you enlighten us, please?

1 hour ago, icemorons said:

@sed6 Really great update to the small layout!  How did you assemble the monorail track?   It's the curves I'm most interested in.   Can you enlighten us, please?

Thanks! The video below shows a similar design. I made mine taller and replaced the 1x1's and 2x2's with 1x2's.

I'm craving a monorail, but too tied up with my Xmas train at the moment. (ME models tracks for R72 loop, on a wood base around the tree - it's complicated.).

Maybe next year a Christmas monorail....

@sed6

I love all the movement in such a small space of your last video!  Do you have plans for an elevated station for the monorail...  Any other scenery?

9 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

@sed6

I love all the movement in such a small space of your last video!  Do you have plans for an elevated station for the monorail...  Any other scenery?

Thanks! Perhaps. Scenery is tough because there's so little room left and some of my stock has large overhangs. 

11 minutes ago, sed6 said:

Thanks! Perhaps. Scenery is tough because there's so little room left and some of my stock has large overhangs. 

Perhaps just a series of facades to give the perception of depth? 

On 11/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Perhaps just a series of facades to give the perception of depth? 

I did try to add a few interesting things to look at. Some workers, bumpers on each siding, a hand cart and some signal lights. The end of line bumpers work pretty well and I'm quite happy with how they turned out. The signal lights I just ideas from others I saw online. While they look good, they get in the way and knocked over frequently so usually they just stay on a sliding. Speaking of sidings, they could be a good place for additional scenery...

2018-11-21_12-21-20

Had the family over for Thanksgiving today and the kids had lots of fun running and wrecking my trains! Head on collisions, side on collisions, knocking the monorail off the rail, you name it! They were flipping switches everytime I took my eyes off them.

Once everyone left I got them all put back together and lined up for a family picture. 

2018-11-22_10-50-19

Time for another update. I recently got the bug to make a container crane to handle the containers on my Well Cars. Of course then I'd need a semi to haul them around. The semi driver and crane operator are not thrilled to be working while their coworkers slack off back at the office. 

20190305_22081320190305_21452120190305_22175720190305_221700

As always my LDD files are on my bricksafe page for you to view. 

Hope you like!

Edited by sed6

My layout was getting a little crowded so I boxed up my 10020, 60051 and 60052 sets and took down my monorail. Lots more space now to run my trains and add some scenery. Below is a quick video of how it looks today with a couple of in video links to my videos on my engines and rolling stock. Enjoy!

15 hours ago, sed6 said:

Lots more space now to run my trains and add some scenery.

Even though I enjoyed seeing that many trains in such a small space I do think this is more pleasing to the eye and less sensory overload.  Im sure you could add the monorail back if youmade a point to point on the back of the layout.

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Even though I enjoyed seeing that many trains in such a small space I do think this is more pleasing to the eye and less sensory overload. 

Agreed!

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Im sure you could add the monorail back if youmade a point to point on the back of the layout.

I did not think of that!  Great idea!  I wonder if I can automate a point to point system using the PF motor and battery?

4 hours ago, sed6 said:

Agreed!

I did not think of that!  Great idea!  I wonder if I can automate a point to point system using the PF motor and battery?

Perhaps pu would be better with color sensors?

On 8/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, sed6 said:

Agreed!

A simple way is to use a PF switch.  Bump into something and it reverses direction like the old school monorail.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, sed6 said:

I have a standard 36 inch by 80 inch hollow core interior door on folding legs that serves many purposes in my hobby room. It constantly gets repurposed for any number of different hobbies I enjoy. Currently I have it set up for my trains and I've tried to cram as much track and functionality into it as possible. Right now my layout has: two complete loops, a crossover between the two loops, a reversing leg, five sidings, nine switches, a passenger platform with crossing, a cargo or maintenance terminal and room to park all my trains. My blue cargo train (60052) and white passenger train (60051) can run at the same time despite the zero clearance between the loops. The BNSF loco can navigate the entire layout but cannot pass another train on the curves because of it overhang. I know it might look a little jam packed to some but it provides me with endless switching and running possibilities. Hope you like!

2018-03-18_04-37-58

2018-03-18_04-38-17

2018-03-18_04-38-28

Newest update-

Here's a video of my layout today with only my custom trains running. 

I really like this design.  I like how you made up your controllers with the tires and 2x2 rounds:-)

On 8/18/2019 at 7:21 AM, legobanker said:

I really like this design.  I like how you made up your controllers with the tires and 2x2 rounds:-)

Thanks! I appreciate everyone's kind words. I have made a couple of changes since my video above. I've added an Interlocking Tower and some trees. A small campsite and a cell phone tower. I also have a small train depot in the works.

20190823_174057

20190823_173952

20190823_174030

20190805_222438

train station 11 w bnsf

Google Small Train Depot Images to get an idea of where I'm getting my inspiration from. The depot is going where the first batch of trees is, so you can see it's a small space. It's still a work in progress, I have a few more hours of work in LDD before I'm ready to order parts for it. That's if I like it enough to build it, which I probably will...

Thanks for looking!

Edited by sed6
Added pics

On 8/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I have several pictures of a restored depo this size pm me your email if your interested.

Thanks, PM sent. And parts ordered! I'll post up pics once it's built.