sed6

Small layout on a door - now completely custom!

On 4/4/2018 at 1:25 AM, sed6 said:

I'll admit the sidings are a little crowded with all the trains parked, but I'm happy I CAN park them all! Once I pull a train onto the outer loop to run, the inner loop is free for all the switching and reversing my heart desires.

Lots of great options in that design, the custom switches really help cut down on the wasted space and awkward wiggles of normal lego track. But enjoy being able to have all of your trains down at one time while you can...

On 4/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, supertruper1988 said:

@sed6 I love it! 

Now its time to add another door! hahaha 

... grin. I'm sure you will need either another door or storage boxes soon enough, but that's a good thing.

Thanks everyone! I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to expand my table to 4 x 8 foot. Then I decided to make it 4.5 x 8 foot. This additional size allows me to have three complete loops plus an additional siding on the backside. I'm up to a total of 20 switches now! I would add more on the back but I can't reach them with the extra width of the table, oh well. With the additional room comes room for more cars. I made two new middle cars for my 60051 and plan to make some additional rolling stock soon. Hope you like!

2018-05-13_08-31-19

2018-05-13_08-20-12

Edited by sed6
cnat spele

Aah, trains rolling, always beautiful, nice space usage, and btw that steam train is a beauty :)

On 5/13/2018 at 9:29 PM, rahziel said:

Aah, trains rolling, always beautiful, nice space usage, and btw that steam train is a beauty :)

25 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Your BNSF is beautiful! I'd love to see more pictures of it. I also love your layout! 

Thanks! I have a thread for both engines. Here's a link to the BNSF

Here's an updated video with all four trains running at the same time. 

I’m considering something similar- I really want an indoor test loop. I’m thinking two doors, hinges in the middle for storage. Should fit across the double bed in the spare room, but fold away for storage.

18 hours ago, cptkent said:

I’m considering something similar- I really want an indoor test loop. I’m thinking two doors, hinges in the middle for storage. Should fit across the double bed in the spare room, but fold away for storage.

That's a pretty great idea!

On 4/4/2018 at 7:25 AM, sed6 said:

My layout continues to grow; larger table, more track and more cars!

2018-04-03_11-42-49

Looks great with optimal use of space. 

Like what you have done.  My only suggestion to you would be to start thinking about a multilevel layout. Ever think about adding a elevated rail(s).  This would allow the benefit of extra track of a multilevel layout without sacrificing accessibility to the lower level.  Wouldn't suggest trying to connect the rails of these two levels as you don't have the room.  Think you could easily add a elevated loop or two to this layout.  

As promised.

My door layout in progress.

Album here

• I may paint it - I haven't decided yet. I'll play with it for a bit first.
  • Handles may need to be bigger...
  • I plan to glue down some 2x4 plates, and fix the track to these. I can't do it yet as the track I need is in use elsewhere.

Having a folding door obviously limits the height of the structures you can erect, but it will serve it's purpose for me.

That's an interesting approach. I presume you plan to lay track, run your trains and then fold it up when not in use? Will you leave it out and use it closed as a work surface or store it away? Either way you might consider some folding legs for the underside, that way it can stand on it's own. Another suggestion, that cleat running down the middle is going to limit your track options something terrible. Perhaps eliminate it and use a piano hinge or two along the adjoining edges instead, leaving the top smooth and free for track. Keep us posted!

Thanks,

A different design for a different purpose, I guess. I don't intend a full layout like yours, just a loop I can use to run occasionally (I have another layout out the 'shed'). I'll open it up on the double bed in the spare bedroom when I want to use it to test a train or let the nephews play.

When I want to use it as a table, it will sit across a couch in the study, where I can build on it. So it doesn't really need legs.

The cleat that runs down the middle 'seals' the box when its folded, to keep the dust out.

I'll post another pic one day when I have a loop laid out.

18 hours ago, sed6 said:

Perhaps eliminate it and use a piano hinge or two along the adjoining edges instead, leaving the top smooth and free for track.

The outer edge cleats would also have to be eliminated, or the hinge will have to stick up at least as high as the cleats.

Instead of gluing plates on it, why not stick down baseplates with double-stick tape?

When not in use for trains, it can be used as a room divider.

Why do you need to glue anything in order to attach tracks to table? These have holes and I always thought these have been designed with intention to screw tracks to the base. Or am I missing something?

59 minutes ago, zux said:

Why do you need to glue anything in order to attach tracks to table? These have holes and I always thought these have been designed with intention to screw tracks to the base. Or am I missing something?

Yeah I thought of screwing, after ‘splatman’ mentioned double sided tape.

Gluing is less flexible (the route would be somewhat permanent), but you could easily detach the tracks.

Screwing is a little more permanent (if I need to use the tracks elsewhere for a while it’s harder to do so) and puts holes in the boards (not that glue is much better).

There may be merit in the tape option, but I’ve usually found it doesn’t stick well enough.

Decisions, decisions....

@sed6 Is there a link to your american and cars ? Would love to see more.

Loving the door layout.

@cptkent 

I like the folding approach 

You could always just do building facades that fold flat when stored ... Sorta like a popup book