Well done, your LGB scale lego train is awesome, like you I was inspired by some YouTube videos in 2014 which in my case were 16mm live steam locomotives running on 32mm track, because of the high price tag of 16mm scale live steam locomotives I decided to make a Lego version 16mm scale Lady Anne live steam locomotive which is manufactured in the UK by Roundhouse Engineering.

My Lego 16mm scale Lady Anne steam locomotive is 16 studs wide and 44 studs long and 20 studs long and is able to run on 32mm track, since building my steam locomotive I have made a 16 mm scale 4 wheel coach which the train pulls quite easily around my Peco SM32 track with no problems.

I am currently adding more details like piping and other items

13 hours ago, jamesed_1971 said:

Well done, your LGB scale lego train is awesome, like you I was inspired by some YouTube videos in 2014 which in my case were 16mm live steam locomotives running on 32mm track, because of the high price tag of 16mm scale live steam locomotives I decided to make a Lego version 16mm scale Lady Anne live steam locomotive which is manufactured in the UK by Roundhouse Engineering.

My Lego 16mm scale Lady Anne steam locomotive is 16 studs wide and 44 studs long and 20 studs long and is able to run on 32mm track, since building my steam locomotive I have made a 16 mm scale 4 wheel coach which the train pulls quite easily around my Peco SM32 track with no problems.

I am currently adding more details like piping and other items

Hi! Thank you! I'd love to see some pictures of your rendition of the Lady Anne :laugh: (and carriages too)! 

Edited by Paperinik77pk

@jamesed_1971

oh yes - now I remember this model!!! Actually it was one of the Mocs that inspired me to try the "Big Scale" - I remembered only the locomotive - not the wagon - it really is impressive!!! :wink:

Hi all, a little update!

The "Steamer" type chassis is ready and rolling:

WP_20180601_20_31_27_Pro

WP_20180601_20_31_58_Pro

WP_20180601_20_31_48_Pro

WP_20180601_20_31_38_Pro

It is very simple and quite sturdy, and obviously inspired by classic 12V red chassis from the 80s :classic:. Locomotive body is still waiting parts, but it's quite ready.

This chassis can be also replicated in black or dark stone gray without any problem. Rods slide inside the cylinders - no more no less. While the blue diesel "7720" is powered by a SBrick, this one will keep infrared PF receiver for the moment.

Hope you like it!

Ciao,

Davide

Hi Davide,

looks very promising! The only thing I'd propose: Wouldn't it look even better if the cylinders were curved at the bottom?

Best regards,
Sven

36 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi Davide,

looks very promising! The only thing I'd propose: Wouldn't it look even better if the cylinders were curved at the bottom?

Best regards,
Sven

Absolutely!!! I'll try this  evening to round them a bit !!! :wink: Nice suggestion!

On 6/22/2018 at 4:12 PM, Tenderlok said:

Hi Davide,

Best regards,
Sven

WP_20180623_18_33_44_Rich[812]

Hi Sven! You were right - it's a completely different story now! :laugh::wink:

11 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Indeed! :thumbup:

Seems as if you also added (at least parts of) the body?

Yes, you are right, in this photo the body is on...it is basically the one that can be seen on page 2 of this thread, a "doubled" 7810 with some modifications :laugh:

Hi all,

finally all parts arrived and I finished the XXL steamer locomotive. As usual I got inspiration by an old gray era model I really love because it's heavily linked to my childhood memories.:wub:

Here it is!

It is a big 7810, transformed in a narrow gauge locomotive that can cover all kind of services, from shunting to small passenger traffic. This time I wanted an interior, so I tried to imagine a small steamer cockpit.

Now I'm planning to build a real cockpit also for the blue 7720. It's ok to have small amount fo detail since these are big toys - but there's room for some experiments...currently a lot of room! For example, the original 7810 has not a steam dome, therefore I tried to build one. Front headlights seem a bit cross-eyed, since are mounted in an inner position than in the original 7810. I think it makes the locomotive a little less serious. :laugh:

The locomotive can produce steam from the main chimney thanks to a Seuthe 99 steam generator and I'm planning to make it also sound like a steamer, using a very economic Velleman MK134 kit. I still don't know if I will succeed in soldering the kit properly, but let's see.:excited: The real deal will be how to syncronize the sound to the speed.*huh*

Transmission was revisited, since the gear ratio was too long, and the old solution was too weak to support all the body weight.

From pictures is hard to tell how big it is - so I put the original 7810 Minifig and box tin some photos just to give an idea.*oh2*

I hope you like it! I will make a video as soon as I've some time to re-build the outdoor railroad!:excited:

WP_20180628_22_03_11_Rich

WP_20180628_22_00_19_Pro

WP_20180628_21_59_57_Pro

WP_20180628_22_00_45_Pro

WP_20180628_22_02_08_Rich

WP_20180628_22_02_27_Rich

WP_20180628_22_03_32_Rich

WP_20180622_22_14_31_Pro

WP_20180628_22_36_21_Rich

Edited by Paperinik77pk

@Paperinik77pk Holey Moley! That's looking sweet! I totally love those old sets and this is a wonderful rendition of that little steamer. I'm wondering how that Velleman sound generator works. There must be some input to get the speed of the train from? Looking forward to when you've integrated it into your build. :thumbup:

56 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

@Paperinik77pk Holey Moley! That's looking sweet! I totally love those old sets and this is a wonderful rendition of that little steamer. I'm wondering how that Velleman sound generator works. There must be some input to get the speed of the train from? Looking forward to when you've integrated it into your build. :thumbup:

Hi there! Thanks!!! :laugh:

The sound will be very "toyish" - there is an hack that can be done to make the sound a bit more deep (changing a resistor type). The speed of steam blows  and volume are regulated trough potentiometers. I am a real beginner on electronics - so once the kit is all soldered and working I will try to understand how to integrate it with PF motor.:sweet:

I searched also for a "diesel" sound generator but I did not find any kit like this one - pity.:hmpf_bad:

Hi Davide!

Lovely, as expected! :wub:

Like Capparezza, I'm very interested to see (and hear) the sound generator. For my own models, I've been a bit reluctant with sound as I feared that the noise from motors and gears would still be too dominant. Hopefully this will not be the case with your steamer!

The shovel seems a bit small IMHO. Did you consider using the Fabuland part?
Anyway, I think she needs a tender now... :wink:

Ciao,
Sven

14 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi Davide!

Lovely, as expected! :wub:

Like Capparezza, I'm very interested to see (and hear) the sound generator. For my own models, I've been a bit reluctant with sound as I feared that the noise from motors and gears would still be too dominant. Hopefully this will not be the case with your steamer!

The shovel seems a bit small IMHO. Did you consider using the Fabuland part?
Anyway, I think she needs a tender now... :wink:

Ciao,
Sven

Hi! Good point, showel is small - it seems a beach toy  - I have to find a gray showel in my wife's Fabuland box! A tender was something I did not even consider -  7810 has always been a locomotive without tender so I did not think about it. But given it has an open back - a small tender (2 axles) could fit nicely.

The sound generator seems loud on youtube videos - but also XXL motor is quite loud. I did not have time to solder the kit during this weekend, we're preparing for holidays so we had some things to do :laugh: 

Thanks for your suggestions - always kind and useful!!!

8 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

But given it has an open back - a small tender (2 axles) could fit nicely.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of.

Or you build a second one and couple the two engines back-to-back, like the German Heeresfeldbahn (military field railway) Zwilling... :grin:

DSWA_Zwillinge_73A_&_B.jpg

Edited by Tenderlok