o0ger

[MOC] Cavity Corner

Hi everyone. I'd like to share my latest creation with you. It's called Cavity Corner. It's a 32x32 Modular Corner Building. 

Building this, I was trying to challenge myself to build with colors I wouldn't normally use. This is the result. My second modular. It was great fun (but frustrating) to build :)

Somewhere halfway into the designing process I got the idea to have two very contrasting buildings as next door neighbors. This resulted in the contrasting colors, the older house next to the newer and the dentist versus the candy shop. 

Cavity Corner - FrontCavity Corner - DetailsCavity Corner - Back

Please tell me what you think!

This house is built for a BriXtar contest. BriXtar is an app for iOS and Android where you can share LEGO creations with others. I have uploaded a 3D-version of this MOC to BriXtar, so you can view it in 3D and see how it's built. 

Edited by o0ger

Interesting choice of colors. Although to me they clash a lot somehow they work well also. Love the dentist vs candy shop idea. The back fire escape looks a bit dangerous though.

Saw this on Flickr this morning! I’m very happy to see another modular by you, such a great MOCer! I like how the buildings fit well together. The lime building looks like a canal house so if one has some MOCs, it would be a perfect transition of styles! Also saw two techniques you took from the DD which work in a more effective way in the reddish brown building! That three is amazing too! Absolute winner of the BriXtar contest!

Millions thanks for the instructions BTW, I’ll build it without thinking! I also saw that your Imperial Hotel has instructions, it’s one of my all time favorite modulars! 

Is it the Old Town Pub by @lookl which encouraged/inspired you to build another modular, the contest or both? Also do you have any interior shots? Just wondering.

Very nicely executed!  The contrasting styles and colors really do work well.  I'd agree that the fire escape/ladder on the back looks a bit scary, but it does add some needed visual interest to the back side of that building.  I like the chained-up back gate as well.

My only criticism is that the the outdoor display for the candy shop doesn't look quite sweet enough.  I think working in some of the printed 1x1 candy/cookie pieces to really drive home the sweet shop vibe would have been good.

The tree and planter is also lovely, and I like the scooter parked there.  Great little details.  This feels like a modern day setup for a Lego movie version of The Shop Around the Corner.  :laugh:

9 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

Interesting choice of colors. Although to me they clash a lot somehow they work well also. Love the dentist vs candy shop idea. The back fire escape looks a bit dangerous though.

Thanks @fordtruckin! I know, I never thought I'd build a lime green house :D But I think it works. Partly because of the mix with yellowish green. The fire escape will defensively not go unnoticed in the next security inspection.

8 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Saw this on Flickr this morning! I’m very happy to see another modular by you, such a great MOCer! I like how the buildings fit well together. The lime building looks like a canal house so if one has some MOCs, it would be a perfect transition of styles! Also saw two techniques you took from the DD which work in a more effective way in the reddish brown building! That three is amazing too! Absolute winner of the BriXtar contest!

Millions thanks for the instructions BTW, I’ll build it without thinking! I also saw that your Imperial Hotel has instructions, it’s one of my all time favorite modulars! 

Is it the Old Town Pub by @lookl which encouraged/inspired you to build another modular, the contest or both? Also do you have any interior shots? Just wondering.

Hey, thanks @LegoModularFan! Glad you like it! 

I wanted a spring theme in this MOC. I was thinking of people going outside on a warm spring day. Buying Ice cream and standing in the sun. I think I got the idea from the color Spring Yellowish Green as TLG calls it. But spring is also synonymous with allergies for me. It's a bitter sweet time of the year. That's why I built a birch, full of pollen generating catkins! 

Ok, great that you decided to build my houses. Let me know if you find something weird. I know right now that there are two parts missing in BriXtar 3D. It's the 32952 and the black 2x2x3 slope. It will be fixed soon I think but here is the list of parts missing from BriXtar 3D (that I've found):

Six 32952, Yellowish Green
Tweklve 32952, Reddish Brown
Two 32952, Red
13 98560, Black - This is the 2x2x3 slope. Any kind of 2x2x3 slope will work.

I was hugely inspired by Old Town Pub. I'm so impressed with how much color and intricate details are in there. This inspired me to have two separate buildings with a slight offset towards each other. And also, as I mentioned, to try to use more colors. The contest is what actually made me finish this MOC. I need contests or events to trigger me in that way.

I have only one room with interior. It's from the Candy Shop.

29342585_10155728959726725_3975199871556909770_n.jpg

7 hours ago, deraven said:

Very nicely executed!  The contrasting styles and colors really do work well.  I'd agree that the fire escape/ladder on the back looks a bit scary, but it does add some needed visual interest to the back side of that building.  I like the chained-up back gate as well.

My only criticism is that the the outdoor display for the candy shop doesn't look quite sweet enough.  I think working in some of the printed 1x1 candy/cookie pieces to really drive home the sweet shop vibe would have been good.

The tree and planter is also lovely, and I like the scooter parked there.  Great little details.  This feels like a modern day setup for a Lego movie version of The Shop Around the Corner.  :laugh:

Thanks @deraven!

Yes, I agree, the fire escape could have been more detailed. I tried to build rings around it with hoses, but I couldn't get the rigid hose to bend into the shape I wanted. 

Also, I agree with the outdoor display. I just didn't find it plausible that you would have cookies laying around outside. A sticker on the flag would have been nice.

Wonderful creation, the lime green is certainly eye popping. But the brown building is the real hero with it's intricate detail. Also love the use of the printed modulex tiles.

Don't feel obligated to build an interior - it's fun and can really bring out some great creativity but for the most part it's never seen and will be a waste of bricks and money. That turret window will be impossibly small to work with too.

Wow, really like this MOC. The green is striking but the confidence and careful use of the bright color gives off an official set feel. The reddish-brown part of the building is especially beautiful as well and adds nice contrast. Fantastic top to bottom. :wub:

Anything with intricate corners is something I like! Has a nice flair floating around it. The roofs look particularly brilliant and the tower feels like a slimmer verison of AS's. The colours work nicely, but they're a little strange. I try never to criticise someone else's work (even less if it is nice!), but, while I like it, it seems lo lack a certain something.

On 2018-03-19 at 12:51 PM, peedeejay said:

Sweet build! The colors work very well here!

Thanks! Glad you like it!

20 hours ago, pinioncorp said:

Wonderful creation, the lime green is certainly eye popping. But the brown building is the real hero with it's intricate detail. Also love the use of the printed modulex tiles.

Don't feel obligated to build an interior - it's fun and can really bring out some great creativity but for the most part it's never seen and will be a waste of bricks and money. That turret window will be impossibly small to work with too.

Thank you. I feel the same way about the interior. I try to build something in the windows so there seems to be at least something in there. 

15 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Wow, really like this MOC. The green is striking but the confidence and careful use of the bright color gives off an official set feel. The reddish-brown part of the building is especially beautiful as well and adds nice contrast. Fantastic top to bottom. :wub:

Thanks!

14 hours ago, paupadros said:

Anything with intricate corners is something I like! Has a nice flair floating around it. The roofs look particularly brilliant and the tower feels like a slimmer verison of AS's. The colours work nicely, but they're a little strange. I try never to criticise someone else's work (even less if it is nice!), but, while I like it, it seems lo lack a certain something.

I appreciate criticism. I think it is needed to evolve as a MOCer. Please feel free to tell me what you don't like about my stuff. When you say "that it lacks a certain something", I interpret that as you like it but there are som parts that you don't like but you can't quite put a finger on it? Am I correct?

10 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

The contrasting styles loo great and I really like the colors.

Ok, thanks! 

I have been, and still am, a bit "afraid" of colors. :) I usually build sci-fi stuff with "safe" colors like white, black and gray. I usually focus more on shapes instead of colors.

1 minute ago, o0ger said:

I appreciate criticism. I think it is needed to evolve as a MOCer. Please feel free to tell me what you don't like about my stuff. When you say "that it lacks a certain something", I interpret that as you like it but there are som parts that you don't like but you can't quite put a finger on it? Am I correct?

Exactly, the shaping in the buildings is very nice, especially the green building's windows and the ground floors as well as the rooftops. Maybe it's the green that clashes a little too much with brown or the fact that the green building has the shape of a glamourous townhouse but not all the details about it (linings, carvings...) Maybe it's that, but this is great, I love it!

I don't think the colors clash at all. My number one complaint with LEGO community is they have a limited viewpoint. The amount of times I hear people complain that Friends doesn't have the CORRECT colors for real buildings is insane. Guess they have never seen a picture of Cuba.

I love it, I love the colors. The strip of the lighter color green really works well for me.

My only 'complaint' is I don't like the black and white tree trunk. I do like how you used those stud shooters through, just wish it were all black or all brown.

Edited by Maple

11 minutes ago, Maple said:

My only 'complaint' is I don't like the black and white tree trunk.

I thought the tree looks as if it is a birch or one of those trees that have stripey black and white bark. A bit like the sample below.

Spoiler

Silverbirch.jpg

Great work with this MOC by the way, I really like that lime green colour and it contrasts well with the brown I reckon.

46 minutes ago, Maple said:

My only 'complaint' is I don't like the black and white tree trunk. I do like how you used those stud shooters through, just wish it were all black or all brown.

30 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I thought the tree looks as if it is a birch or one of those trees that have stripey black and white bark. A bit like the sample below.

Yes! :) It is supposed to be a birch. They are quite common in Sweden and a constant source of runny nose and itchy eyes for me every spring. 

22 hours ago, pinioncorp said:

1 hour ago, o0ger said:

I feel the same way about the interior.

I agree. An interior is fun to look, at, see and play but if you put a modular in a layout, no one will really see its interior.

1 hour ago, o0ger said:

I try to build something in the windows so there seems to be at least something in there. 

That idea/solution is amazing! Never thought about that!

BTW, do you have any photos with the third floor removed? That's what I'm thinking about doing when I'll build it in future. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Maple said:

My only 'complaint' is I don't like the black and white tree trunk.

Very interesting critism IMO because it looks very realistic as @Bricked1980 mentioned above and is definitely my favorite thing! Of course I respect your criticism.

Saw in on instagram and thought it was amazing, bigger pictures make it look even more impressive! The contrast is brilliant, and I never would have thought of combining those two colours. Great job. Building techniques are superb as is the attention to detail. 

The only point I would change, I wouldn't include the tree. Maybe a small fountain instead. The colour and the tree distracts rather than complements (in my humble opinion) - Small point because overall it's brilliant

We have birch trees around here, and I figured that it's probably what it's supposed to be, I just don't like it how it looks. 

Also maple trees are better, they give you syrup. ;)

(Yes I know you can get syrup from birch trees too.)

42 minutes ago, dylanfarrow said:

The only point I would change, I wouldn't include the tree. Maybe a small fountain instead. The colour and the tree distracts rather than complements (in my humble opinion) - Small point because overall it's brilliant

I think you said it better than I have. The tree is distracting. Instead of talking about the beautiful buildings and (to me) great colors, we are talking about a tree. I do love how the build is different than what I normally see. Great use for those (bleh) stud shooters.

Edited by Maple

Oh cool, didn't see you had a topic here aswell!

As I already commented on flickr, this is amazing work. I never would've thought that a building could use the bright green colors and still look good!

Edited by RogerSmith

2 hours ago, dylanfarrow said:

Saw in on instagram and thought it was amazing, bigger pictures make it look even more impressive! The contrast is brilliant, and I never would have thought of combining those two colours. Great job. Building techniques are superb as is the attention to detail. 

Thanks @dylanfarrow, ok, I totally see what you and @Maple mean about the tree. 

43 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Oh cool, didn't see you had a topic here aswell!

As I already commented on flickr, this is amazing work. I never would've thought that a building could use the bright green colors and still look good!

Thanks a lot @RogerSmith! Me neither :D

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

BTW, do you have any photos with the third floor removed? That's what I'm thinking about doing when I'll build it in future. Thanks!

So you want me to remove the third floor and take a photo of the house without it? Is there anything in particular you want to see?

1 hour ago, o0ger said:

So you want me to remove the third floor and take a photo of the house without it? Is there anything in particular you want to see?

Yes, I’d like to see if it looks better without it. Just wondering/want to have an idea of how it could possibly work. If you’re going to rephotograph it, I would also be greatful if you can take a photo with the third floor removed from the reddish brown building and remained on the other one. Many thanks for your consideration :classic:

Finally featured! I was thinking it was really deserving that since Sunday! Congrats!

Keep up your great work :thumbup:

Edited by LegoModularFan

I do favour the traditional, brown building. But, it's an interesting juxtaposition and one that is pretty common to see in many buildings where modern designs sit alongside older buildings.

It's very well done! And I like the subtle "dentist and candy shop" story.

15 hours ago, Maple said:

The tree is distracting. Instead of talking about the beautiful buildings and (to me) great colors, we are talking about a tree. 

I like the tree personally. I wish more of the official modulars would include trees, they add a bit of life and organic shaping to the models which contrasts nicely with the squareness of the buildings.

Edited by Bricked1980