JasonL

Digital P-5-A locomotive

The P-5-A (Not to be confused with a PRR P5) was a type of 4-6-2 Pacific used by the Atlantic Coast Railroad. They were fast in the passenger service, and once retired to fast freight service, still performed very well; they were capable of pulling 60-70 car loads at the maximum speeds the railroad allowed. This particular one is modeled after #1504, which currently is on static display in Jacksonville, FL. I chose the P-5-A because it not only kicked butt, but it's also a "native" locomotive for me. The driving wheels are missing because I will be getting 3-d printed ones, so they aren't in the program I use.

26898965618_ccfbb25ee5_b.jpgP-5-A by Jason_train, on Flickr

26898966628_9012081bf5_b.jpgP5A #16 by Jason_train, on Flickr

38959233590_cb2eb0a917_b.jpgP5A #15 by Jason_train, on Flickr

26898966298_838a85fa75_b.jpgP5A #14 by Jason_train, on Flickr

Edited by JasonL
I boo-bood the pictures

1 hour ago, supertruper1988 said:

Looks great! what size drivers are you getting?

Was this designed in Stud.io?

Thanks! The P-5-A has 73 inch drivers, so in the scale I want they would be 48.795mm. (I'll have to get them 3d-printed) And yes, I use Stud.io. :)

5 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

That is cool what scale are you building at?

Hypothetically it's 1:38, but I probably screwed it up somewhere

5 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful steam engine ...I like the bell! :wub:

I'm curious to see the pistons rods :thumbup:

Thank you! The bell was a must-have ;)

The rods'll just be some from Trained Bricks. I'll see if I can get a valve gear on there too.

I'm a big ACL fan, and saw the real 1504 in Jacksonville not too long ago---very happy to see it in (digital) bricks.   Will any Big Ben Bricks drivers work "close enough" or are the 3D printed ones exactly in the middle of two of the Big Ben sizes

::edit::  actually it seems they're far larger than any BBB drivers, they'd be XXXL or so I think.  

Edited by steele

10 hours ago, steele said:

I'm a big ACL fan, and saw the real 1504 in Jacksonville not too long ago---very happy to see it in (digital) bricks.   Will any Big Ben Bricks drivers work "close enough" or are the 3D printed ones exactly in the middle of two of the Big Ben sizes

::edit::  actually it seems they're far larger than any BBB drivers, they'd be XXXL or so I think.  

Well, that depends on the scale you build it at. I'm building in 1:38 (I think) and so I need larger wheels. (48.795 mm) But at say, 1:48, (generally understood as minifigure scale) the wheels need to be only 38.629 mm in diameter, which is only 2 mm off from a BBB XL wheel.

14 hours ago, steele said:

Is that based on an M3 caboose?

Good question, actually. I googled "acl caboose" and just went from there. I think the one in the picture I used is an M3, though.

Edited by JasonL

I just noticed that the caboose walls are all snotted plates, bet it will look amazing in brick and weigh a ton. The internal details are fantastic too, not to mention the locomotive at the top of the thread.

52 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

I just noticed that the caboose walls are all snotted plates, bet it will look amazing in brick and weigh a ton. The internal details are fantastic too, not to mention the locomotive at the top of the thread.

You're too kind!
I just checked, and stud.io calculated it to be around 19 oz, so it's certainly not a lightweight. I'll have to get some of those fancy ball bearings. Pretty much the only thing left for the caboose is some lighting, and maybe making the beds into bunks. And then actual assembly, of course. Thanks again!