• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Poor

15624317003_e8eb01e330.jpg

38915777120_860c039ec2_c.jpg

INTRODUCTION

The smallest of the 2018 sets, is the Hook Loader.

A hook lift truck is a heavy duty truck that is fitted with a hydraulic hook lift hoist system. The hydraulic hook lift hoist system allows haulers to quickly change various types of roll off containers, generally designed for the transportation of materials in the waste, recycling, scrap and demolition industries.

Red_trash_can.jpg

Probably due to intricate loading mechanism, we have seen many instances of hook lift trucks being built as Lego models, both officially from Lego, in a form of LEGO Technic Container Truck (8052)

9tluvo.jpg

... and lots of nice models from mocers. My personal favorite, is a Hook Lift truck model, made by Jennifer Clark.

Note: Most images can be clicked for hi-res versions.

SET INFORMATION

Number: 42084
Title: Hook Loader
Theme: Technic
Released: 2018
Part Count: 176
Box Weight: 265 gr
Box Dimensions: 15,5 cm x 13,9 cm x 6,8 cm
Set Price (MSRP): € 12,95
Price per Part: € 0,073
Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX

Being a small set, it obviously comes in a small box. The box measures 15,5 cm x 13,9 cm x 6,8 cm which is obviously not very big. The weight of the box is approximately 265 grams.

38915782140_11ecba210d_c.jpg

FRONTSIDE

40683123152_9197731eb4_c.jpg

The front of the box shows our Hook Loader unloading its container, standing on rough dirt surface, with some blurred buildings in the background.

The box also states that this model is for the age of 7 till 14. More importantly, the 2-models in-1 logo is clearly visible, which means this set can be used to build two different models.

BACKSIDE

The backside shows a picture of the alternate model, which is the Airport Fire Truck. The conversion arrow and the 2-in-1 are printed to clarify that the main model can be converted into a secondary model.

40015758534_135cae35cd_c.jpg

One of the sides shows a picture of the main model, and one of the wheels in actual size.

38915779090_e4553ae15b_c.jpg

CONTENT OF THE BOX

The box contains:

• 2 Instructions Booklet
  • 2 Technic Panels
  • 3 Bags

INSTRUCTION BOOKLETS

The instruction booklet for the main model:
(both booklets came folded in the box)

40725978281_783da530f0_c.jpg

The instruction booklet for the alternate model:

40725977381_7d8f9332cc_c.jpg

EXAMPLE OF RANDOM INSTRUCTION STEP

39830976355_d3eeb4bb09_c.jpg

PANELS

Dark Bluish Gray Technic Panels haven't been sealed in plastic bags.

40725978631_f8d0096866_z.jpg

BAGS

Three bags containing the rest of the parts.

26854659518_eb1336e6cb_n.jpg

25854633007_86cda13363_n.jpg

38915782770_50d59d9284_n.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS

This section describes the new and/or otherwise interesting parts.

Axle Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and 1L Axle in RED

This 3L Axle Pin has never been released in red before for general public and easily obtainable. This year, it was released in 8 sets in this color, and it was also released in one set in 2017, The Nutcracker (Lego 2017 Employee Exclusive).

39830974805_10bc96db5e_n.jpg

Technic Panel Curved 3x11 in DARK BLUISH GRAY

This Technic Panel 3x11 has never been released in Dark Bluish Gray before. This year, it was released in 3 sets in this color: Hook Loader, Mack Anthem and Rally Car.

25854623767_bfa9509f91_z.jpg

TIRES

These 30.4 x 14 Tires aren't very rare. They appear in 79 other sets. We got four tires in this set.

jr2vqs.jpg

PART LIST

This set contains 176 parts, shown below.

39830974405_cbc3ef09fd_c.jpg

THE BUILD

The build is not very fun, and is pretty straightforward.

FINISHED MODEL

qU1h4ZJ.gif

Here is the finished Hook Loader!
Since it's a small model, i was on the fence about its look and functions. Seeing it's functions in real life takes every doubt away, they work flawlessly. More on functions later.

On the other side, look is not on par with functions. Given the fact that the model has small number of parts compared to average Technic set, visual aspect of the model had to be affected.
Overall, look is satisfactory if you keep in mind how basic the set is. It does look like a truck, and even has some amount of detailing like black parts to simulate windshield or grill.
I don't like low ground clearance in the front, due to the steering mechanism, and back tires could be placed a bit toward the front, it would look more balanced.

40015755544_04c0f594a9_c.jpg

The model does not have stickers, and as a simple truck/construction machine, it is probably better this way.

40683121202_13fc47c937_c.jpg

The chassis is pretty basic, with steering system and hook lift mechanism occupying central part of the chassis.

40725974821_dedc605c8f_c.jpg

LEFTOVER PARTS

A few common leftover parts.

40015755064_a9f7e2a03f_n.jpg

FUNCTIONS

Here's a short presentation showing the model's two functions.

STEERING

Steering is done via the 12 Tooth Double Bevel gear at the back of the cabin, it does not have steering wheel. The gear is easily accessible. The turning radius is quite big, which slightly reduces playability.

SAzmdjv.gif

HOOK LIFT

Hook Lift mechanism is operated by black 12T Double Bevel gear, marked on the animation. It turns three 8t gears, which in turn moves the hook and container.
Operation is smooth, it has some friction, but that helps the hook to stop in any position. Container has "rollers" at its end, so it can glide on flat surfaces.
It also has a nice trick to keep the container from sliding left-right when loaded onto the truck. Namely it has 2L liftarm at the back, which is secured on one point. When the container is loaded on the truck, the liftarm slides/drops between the chassis' main frame and keep the container stable.

Being the main function of the model, the hook lift part is done very well.

Dunjisd.gif

SUMMARY

I think this is one clever small set. Its target audience, kids, will love this set. It does look like a truck, and even better, it looks like a truck that is drawn and imagined by a kid, in a good way.

I have a luck that i have my young relative with me, and he is very excited about this set. His favorite part about it...the hook lift mechanism, ofc. He enjoyed filling the container with bricks and plates, and move them to other location, watching it unload etc... Be careful, though, 1x1 parts can slip through container's floor.
Side plus: I enjoyed being asked to explain many things on real life trucks to him...this set clearly boosted his curiosity.

SCORE

6 DESIGN

10963106835_25bcb8704d_m.jpg

Simple colors works nice. Looks like a truck, but very basic. Overall good given the amount of parts.

6 BUILDING EXPERIENCE

10963106835_25bcb8704d_m.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary.

9 FEATURES

16218294336_cc3a1c982b_m.jpg

For its size, it has two great functions.

9 PLAYABILITY

16218294336_cc3a1c982b_m.jpg

Kids love it!

7 PARTS

10963348123_21e427d778_m.jpg

Common parts and colors, two parts in new colors.

8 VALUE FOR MONEY

10963348093_7485fc0cc2_m.jpg

I would buy this set for my young relative in no time.

7,5  Hook on!

Thank you for reading. Hope you will find it useful.

Got this set back in January from my local Smyth's. Very cool tiny set, with a function we don't see much. I like the looks; they're quite intricate considering the small part count. The chunky steering is somewhat of a trade-off, but it works too well to be something to complain about.

I also like that TLG is scattering newer parts around a bit, i.e. the curved DBG panels from the Mack and rally car. Good to see that they aren't making too many unique parts.

Wow Milan! Awesome review! I especially like your GIF-things for the functions, very informative. I was going to get this set, but decided on some SW Brickheadz instead. This one simply doesn't attract me. 

Bought this set mainly to get the two dbg curved panels, so wasn't expecting much from this set and I was not disappointed. Not much to this set, good for parts though. 

The weird thing, bought it at the Lego store for $14.99 mrsp, yet when I decided to buy a second set at Target, they had it for $19.99. Needless to say I'll go back to Lego for that second set. 

Awesome review! I have had this set for a while and it is a nice smallest. Did you mention the return of the DBG perpendicular axle connector?

Very good review and as former IT systems developer BIG THUMBS UP for animated images for functions and to display how this small set looks from every side. Once again very original idea with animations :thumbup:

Nice work mate! I also love the animations. Really captures the set.

Looking forward to your other reviews!

Thanks guys!

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Nice work mate! I also love the animations. Really captures the set.

Looking forward to your other reviews!

In about 30 minutes, (pullback) motors are gonna roar in a new topic!

14 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Power functions in a €10 set? :grin: 

Unless PF 2.0 includes some seriously small motors, I don't see that happening. :laugh:

10 hours ago, abrahamandentity said:

It’s missing a drivetrain, power functions and a differential :sceptic:. Other than that, a great set and review. Keep it up Milan!

A great review for a not so great set :P but it looks cool... however it also looks somewhat unfinished, it lacks some stickers and what is the lone gear on the other side doing there? (under lifting bed) and btw, the straight through rear axle could be done different so easily, to improve the steering

:tongue: I normaly hate stickers... but for this small truck it would had give it some life, like a grill sticker and a couple at the sides of the bed 

6 minutes ago, GoldVillage said:

:tongue: I normaly hate stickers... but for this small truck it would had give it some life, like a grill sticker and a couple at the sides of the bed 

I think it carries the look well without. But maybe you can find stickers for it in another set.

13 hours ago, GoldVillage said:

A great review for a not so great set :P but it looks cool... however it also looks somewhat unfinished, it lacks some stickers and what is the lone gear on the other side doing there? (under lifting bed) and btw, the straight through rear axle could be done different so easily, to improve the steering

The gear on the other side keeps the container level, as the gears protrude slightly above chassis lift arms. The container thus rests on the gears, not the chassis.

Personally i think its a cool little set, and while it does have some issues, i have no problems seeing past them because of the pricetag.

I gave one to my 7 year old as an intro to technic, but i think technic might be a small step too far for her right now, she has been halfway through building the B-model for two months now, and just doesnt seem to care much, even though the big coast guard helicopter she got for her birthday was built in no time at all :)