sirslayer

Sirslayer's Chassis: Color the world with blacken

Well, till I clean up my Flicker account, I found some older pictures of the Lego set 8273 project when I  first started to design the super 8273 last year... I just like the scale that this set offers and the Off-road truck looks tough but yet small scale looks right!! The cab is actually built around the original design by using panels. It gives a fuller look and less holes to see thru and gives a less technic look but more todays standards on using panels. 

20190116_202810_HDR

This part of the frame is the turret gear works that uses a Lego M motor and the tan colored 20t gear manually slides in out between the skew left and right and raise up and down on the 8273 mechanical pallet lift .

IMG_20190119_155949

using a different frame

20190116_202557_HDR20190107_181944

This is the frame of the 8273 from Lego.com instructions (which they are for free!!) and you can see all the blue parts i can fit on this!!  Thats what I get for being in the dark ages for 30 years!! ouch.... The use of panels fits in perfect near the rear of the chassis!!!

Can you see they are almost twins !!

Lego Technic Sirslayer chassis

Edited by sirslayer

I love to order sets from Lego.com!!  It was a fair price of $49.99 USD and free shipping over $35 dollars on orders. Plus as always Lego likes to add more to your package.. I open up the box and Wow!! trading cards!!   Well before I build it. I need to weigh a few elements.  I wonder why orange as the color.. what properties does it bring to the table? Well lets see..  

IMG_20190219_173414IMG_20190219_223421IMG_20190219_223434Lego Technic 42093Lego Technic 42093Lego Technic 42093Lego Technic 42093

All the elements are from the Lego set 42093 and of course black is the victor..so I was curious on where the weight of the color orange fits in Lego Technic undocumented weight of the color elements.  So far Iv'e discovered from the lightest to the heaviest in weight black is the lightest to dark blue gray is the hefty weight winner.. so measuring the parts from this set and a few others elements to see where orange fits.

Lego Technic 42093

the lightest of the bunch..

Lego Technic 42093Lego Technic 42093Lego Technic 42093

well, it looks like orange is heavier then red (middle weight) white is heavier then orange..  orange is kind of a heavy color.. 

Edited by sirslayer
grammar

Interesting, I would have thought black to be heavier. You should clean your scales up a bit, that dust may skew your results. 

I picked that set up a couple of weeks ago as well, the weird thing is I don't see it on any shelves anymore. 

Edited by Johnny1360

Even touching the elements with our greasy fingers adds 0.001 to 0.003 of a gram!!!  that is not dust but scratches and dents.,.  the light and the post process of the pictures gives a dusty look.. its actually shiny clean pitted from years of use.. I do calibrate and use only new pieces when I post the results.. I wish there are others like me who is interested in weighing them out.. I like to know if my scale is still good.. i might buy a new scale in the future if my current is off.. if it is then difference in weight should still be there and black will always be the lightest!!  

Edited by sirslayer

@Mechbuilds I do agree!!! :)     I've blazed that trail and ended up with a fistful of elements.   The most important elements like the frame 5 x 11 and other parts that are dark blue grey color only are not available on are favorite cowboy, Lego technic color black.. the fastest technic color this side of the Mississippi !!  Design and build with the color black techniic parts could give you up to 10 percent in weight savings if you mixed in with other colors.. 

Just remember what Henry Ford once said: it does not matter what color are his cars as long as they are black :wink: and most trucks, tractors...have black chassis anyway

Today, I want to share some more color measurements of the colored weights from the Lego set 42093 Corvette elements.  This undocumented features from the Lego technic (Group?) has been decoded and to show the color black haves unique properties in weight saving designs for the future of Lego RC competition and with my research which led me to innovate weight saving designs by just using the color black elements and create an artwork to implement black with different colors . more on that later .. to provide proof of work, I have more pictures from the Lego set 42093 since its  has provided  new samples  to compare with..

Lego Technic 42093 mods

Calibrate to the nearest 0.001 of a gram .... pass

Lego Technic 42093 modsLego Technic 42093 mods

as I predicted, the bigger the element the bigger the weight differences compared to black. That is almost a 1/10 of a gram weight savings the color black has provided. Wow!!

and also there was some new parts in the 42093 set and for kicks here are a few samples..

IMG_20190219_223720

IMG_20190219_223614

Soon they will be in black!!   and I also have started a RC mod on the Lego set 42093 that uses 2 x L Lego Motors , rear independent suspension ,1 m motor for steering and the classic Lego battery pack!!  here is a sneak preview!! 

Lego Technic 42093 2 x Lego L motors

Edited by sirslayer

Been a busy week and I was able to purchase the Lego set 42076 Hovercraft for $57 USD on E-bay!!  For over 1000 pcs and usable colors , this set is perfect for parts with numbers of large panels and long beams. I believe this set is one of the worst  Lego Technics models ever and I don't plan to build the set as I'm all ready got into the parts!! Propellers, jet intakes and linear actuators  and even one spring shock and small rubber tires was a surprise to find in this set..  

I also have done a mod on the Lego set 42093 Corvette and I really like it .. Its a 4x4 mod and it turns the ever low rider into a 4x4 beast.  Its on WIP status and I was thinking if a XL Lego motor could fit in this tiny body ..   Well here is a few pictures of my  42093 4x4 mod..

Lego Technic 42093 4x4 mod

Lego Technic 42093 4x4 modLego Technic 42093 4x4 modLego Technic 42093 4x4 mod Lego Technic 42093 4x4 modLego Technic 42093 4x4 mod

Lego Technic 42093 4x4 mod

Well, I finally done it!! Some say its not possible and I knew it can be done!!  I've installed 2 x Lego XL motors in my Lego set 42093!!  Yes this small model was able to fit in my battery case and 1 m motor and 2 xl  motor inside the small shell of a car. The acceleration is neck wrenching and the speed is record breaking, mater of fact I believe I have the fastest Lego set 42093 on this planet!!!  The only issue I have is the default steering setup that i used on this model, the turning radius is like 20 ft !! which is not good so my next mod will address that issue.. coming soon, more of the 4x4 mod of 42093 set !! 

Lego Technic 42093 2 x XL motor

The battery pack barely fits in the truck !!

Now the best part !!  

yup!! the 2 x xl motors !!  what a wonderful view!!  I can sit here and stare at this for hours !!

I changed the rear tires and used 49.5mm tires since the default pizza cutters just had to much slippage due to high torque!!!  

You have very unusual set of luggage in your Vette :laugh:

@I_Igor that reminds me of this song !!  

and tonite I have the Lego set 42093 in a slam dance video!! It was to test the steerimg and it got to fast for my kitchen.. Can't wait for the weather to clear up ! 

Edited by sirslayer

honestly I'm not such big fan of that kind of music, but other video is more interesting. It looks like the off-road Vette is remarkably fast 

@I_Igor  this is a version 2, 4x4 mod and the improvments includes 2 x L Lego motors instead of 2 x XL motors. Overall, using Sariel.pl calculator to give me this 

The total final gear ratio is 1:2.143
The speed is increased 2.143 times.
The torque is decreased 2.143 times.
The follower gear rotates 2.143 times per each revolution of the driver gear.

The gearing I used with The Xl motors were the same and hands down, 2 large motors coupled together is the best  for speed. The Xl motors would be great in a bigger model thats needs the extra troque vs weight scenarios and the large motors takes less space and less stress on your axles and gears. Using the Xl motor setup did break a few axles and gears. version 3 pf my 4x4 mod is coming up in a few days.

Lego 42093 mod

and a cutaway to see the insides 

lego technic 42093 4x4 ver 2 mod

I'm almost finished with my Lego set 42076 hovercraft mod and this one I would think any 42076 owners would like.. if you were looking through the parts of this set and you swear to god this set is an airpalne!!!  it comes with propellers and jet air intakes and a few number of must need panels.   I was looking at the Lego set 42025 

and Im thinking , wow!! the B model is a hovercraft and I wondered if I can mod the lego 42076 hovercraft into a copy of the lego set 42025!! well im almost down and wow!! I swear to god that the 42076 is the 42025 in sheep clothing!!  this set dont come with any 16t gears or any clutches but beside that , the lego set 42076 haves the parts and the panels to do the plane.. It kinda looks like a space shuttle but the black, light gray , red and orange will be the color instead.. the 42025 set does come with many white colors elements which 42076 lacks but beside the color .. im convinced!!! 

Lego technic 42076 cargo/shuttle modLego technic 42076

@sirslayer it looks like (over)stuffed with e-motors and BB...but it is important that you have fun with it...

of course and always I have fun!!!  !!!   Today,  I,ve got new pictures of the Lego set 42093 4x4 mod version 3 and this time I have included 81.6 mm tires and a center Differential  to my build!!  If you own the 42093 set, you'll noticed that the model is a unibody type construction and the frame is part of the body!!!   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_frame and building mods for it is a bit of a challange and  adding a center differential, I believe the add on made the AWD and 4 x 4 modes excel in most areas of performance versus with out using a center diff...  So, im a believer in use of a cemter diff on any RC Lego models as long you don't have a complex transmission that can cause friction and any way , why even make a transmission with 4 speeds for a DC electric motor, when most of your available powerband is at start when you first turn on the DC motors. I don't believe you can design a fast enough shifter to use a on lego based  4 speed transmission in order to take advantage of the available powerband at start up of the DC motor. . Most electric cars in America only have a high and low speed transmissons and even the new Tesla 3 electric car only have single-speed transmission!!!!    

Here are some pictures of my latest mod 4 x4 for the 42093 and coming soon my Lego 42076 Cargo Airplane mod!!!  

Lego technic 42093 4x4 mod w 81.6mm tires

Edited by sirslayer

Here is a quick video of the 4x4 mod of the Lego set 42093 using the Lego 81.6mm tires and on the second video the 4x4 vette is riding on 68.7mm tires .. I think the 68.7mm are smaller but then seem to perform a bit quicker on acceleration then the 81.6mm !! If im going to ise the 81.6mm tires i got to use the 3 pin wheel hub!! without the wheel hub , I've noticed a slight sag and bow on the axles where the wheels are mounted on..  Im suprise the wheels never came offf since i was  on the field with them for almost most of the afternoon ans NO, i'm not using a buwizz or any mods on the motors. Im using a Hot power 2.4ghz transmitter and thats not giving me any advantage!! Just good old trial and error till I figure out the weight vs motors output formula and I dang near maxed out on performace just using Lego's own motors and battery pack. The motors are brand new and recently the shop.lego site got the new Power up elements and im thinking of getting a used batman power up bat car from lasr year. I see them for &50 to $60 dollars (used on ebay) and it inclused a power up hub and two med. motors.!!!

I forget how windy it gets at the high desert!! 

Edited by sirslayer

Wow!! I love this model!!!! it is based off from the Lego set 42025 Cargo airplane and having a hunch that the Lego set 42076 is the cargo plane in disguise!! Well I can say yes but its not 42025  correct. First of all I finally made an account at bricklink.com and ordered and purchase some of the important parts that the Lego set 42076 like for an example only 2 La are only in the 42076 and the 42025 requires 5 of them !!  and yet the 42076 comes with enough tires,panels and connectors and or i was off by 1 piece to do the plane mod!! You can find the parts so cheap and the most it took  was just 4 days to be delivered..  Ill never order from Ebay again after I figured out on getting the killer deals with just a few bucks at bricklink.com well here is my mod and I know , its not color accurate since the 42076 set comes in the primary color red , black , white and orange!!  Some parts that were on the 42076 like the jet air intake were incorprated to my mod and it gives  the turboprop engine a more realistic since the fan blade spins (rotates) and powered the Pf Lego elements. All the 42025 functions do work and I also added a rudder(??!!) ,jet fans and bigger elevators and a more realistic cockpit.  

Lego Technic 42076 modLego Technic 42076 modLego Technic 42076 mod

Edited by sirslayer

Wow, this is nice. Making the cargo plane from hovercraft parts ... Great idea and great execution. Apart from the extra LAs, which other parts did you need ?

@iLego The first issue that came up was the lack of any 16 tooth gray and red gears!!  there are none on the Lego set 42076 and 12 gray gears, 2 red and 5 gray clutch gears are required!!! I took parts from the set 42068 and 42029 and then I ordred the rest at bricklink..   and the long wing type panels like on the front wing tips were needed ,13 to 15 long beams and axles 12+ long axles needed to be dugged up but for spending $57 on the 42076 and maybe a total of 40 dollars ( i also bough other parts for another project the space shuttle!!!)  in parts and PF motors I got a killer deal on a 42025 in sheep clothing!!  

Edited by sirslayer

Did I mention that this model is huge!!! its like 2 feet by 2 feet and its does look like its delicate but its actually feel soild and not to heavy!! I will still not pick it up by its wing!!! Here are a few more pictures and a building technique using a unknown lego element and maybe some body might know where it came from.. I was able to slide a gear on to it and it fit in to the fan blade shaft!!  its like a round axle ?? here the pics !

Lego technic 42076 modLego technic 42076 mod

Edited by sirslayer
grammar