sirslayer

Sirslayer's Chassis: Color the world with blacken

@I_Igor

that why I made a mini engine that fits between the seats..  I wish I have an original Lego set 8273 and I only have a few blue lift arms and beams..  well I ended uo creating a new MOC based on the scale of the 8273.. its a WIP and its a semi- tractor based from an older Mercedes truck..  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23813430@N07/33082812678/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23813430@N07/46044214465/in/photostream/

Lego Technic 8273 projectLego Technic 8273 project

my cab can seat 5 Lego men 

Lego Technic 8273 project

with seat belts for safety and a tape player (optional) 

Lego Technic 8273 project

and an optional sleeper model 

20190116_202727_HDR

Lego Technic 8273 project20190111_152744

turbo charged 4 banger 

independent rear suspension , dual L motor for drive train and 12 volt operation (body reinforce) 

Edited by sirslayer
spelling

It looks good with 49.5 tires and you made best of parts you have in your inventory

At first I didn't like the mini engines Lego was introducing since the are bushings and axles!! then I  built my first mini engine and it uses a small 2 L axle and a half L bushings and I need an engine head to keep the pistons from flying out.. I made a quick video of my current semi chassis model running under 12.4 volts using a cheap but very light weight li-po battery.. I got it on ebay for $8 USD and it comes with a charger. Please be aware on using third party batteries that Lego don't support and you can hurt and destroy your Lego or anyone and yourself if used improperly.   !!!!  

I see that you managed to optimize your piston travel to prevent engine blow :laugh:

It is nice to see that you have fun with it, I personally use all LEGO parts and my battery box costs some 20$ or so...but I need two of smaller (train BB) and few Technic BB dir my mocs. I will not complain about red color because my next tractor will be dark bluish gray / red...:wink:

Yes, I think my mini engine is more accurate and I only have mostly black and red technic parts.  Got into the black craze since I discover its weight saving advantages. I don't believe Lego's sells batteries and they only sell battery boxes and a lipo option. I assume you're using third party batteries in your Lego battery box?  Part of the optimizations for Lego's RC racing is to eliminate weight and the Lego battery boxes weighs to much and are to big. Using a third Lipo battery weighs around 1/8 of the Lego battery box and I believe in the future that Lego based RC ventures will take off!!   Have you ever created a MOC by accident???   my 8273 chassis transform to a silly robot and i discovered this by accident!!!     here are the before after pictures and a short video to show his head legs and arms move when you pull down his arm!! 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23813430@N07/46241712694/in/photostream/

I don't know why my links are not working

lego technic sirslayer legotron

lego technic sirslayer legotron

lego technic sirslayer chassis

His name is Legotron 

its a WIP and its only a few hours old.. Ill improve his looks and its transform to a semi truck!! 

Edited by sirslayer

Is it an angle, or tires look a bit to small for the rest of it?

I also agree, they do look small!!! The 49.5mm tires can only stretch so far and I went ahead and try on the Lego 68.7mm tire. I like this size and it haves very good outdoor performance and even on shiny surfaces!! The only issue that I don't like about this tire, that they weigh over 30 grams a piece and only 10 grams more you could be sporting 81.6mm tires but your model would loose its scale!!! I don't have any 62?mm tires and I would believe that would scale fairly. My MOC is using my Legotron chassis (evolution from the 8273 )  and soon i'll have video of its performance. The weather been odd and I can say its tooooooooo fast to record in the house.. but thats using 12.4 volts!!  

Lego Technic Sirslayer moc

Edited by sirslayer

68.7 look better, but I'm not a big fan on this tread on Baloon tires (I have 12 Power pullers in box and some 20 94,8x44 and who knows how much 81,6x38 and 10-12 68.7x34), so perhaps 68.8 x 38 or typical 62,4 truck tire will be more appropriate?

Perhaps one friendly advice to very good friend; I always start from tire options of real vehicle and then I see what LEGO tire / wheel combo is optimal compromise and then I scale to wheel/tire combo the rest of my build (that is why I build very slow because I have always several variants until I find best solution) 

Regard Vic

Good advice @I_Igor...   I'm into the RC part of Lego technics and my designs starts with motor and frame at first because the fact of being under power is what I believe most builders in Lego RC world will first soon discovered..   A friend of mine father once told me that when you first design a car you must start at the wheels!!  Im into the balloon tires due to over all outdoor usages.. I do plan to do models with no motors in the near future..  Showing off my Lego Technic 4x4 remote control outside  gives me popularity and people's attention and that cool factor that all ready emitting from me.. :) 

Edited by sirslayer

I do not use RC parts much, just for some functions because I have cat that is very sensitive (he was few months small orphan when we found him in 20+cm of snow) and my terrier (who you can see on my Avatar) does not like that sound and makes noises that are going on nerves of my wife, so I have very interesting situation :laugh: and have only for 2 fully RC mocs enough PF elements

I had a M.A.S.H unit of baby chicks last week in my living room and I love cats!!  I have some pictures of a few of my pets on this thread if you look into its history.  Here are a few pictures of my MOC steering using Lego part 15461 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15461&idColor=11#T=C&C=11 as a wheel hub !! I optimized the size and it pivot point is at par with CV joint!!  

Lego Technic Sirslayer Better then the CV joint!!

the simple build , im giving up my secret!! parts from Lego set 42029 truck and Lego part no 15461 from Lego set 42068 ..includes x 12 

Lego Technic Sirslayer Better then the CV joint!!Lego Technic Sirslayer Better then the CV joint!!

U= U-joints CV= CV joints 

sitting on 49.5mm and 56mm tires!!

Edited by sirslayer
update

I'm afraid that side that has 49.5 tire mounted with that solution will be to much bending under weight.

I wouldn't post anything on here unless its been field tested , I tend to post after the fact..  I have one Lego Battery case with Duracell batteries (the best batteries for the battery pack) 1 M motor and a fake engine weighing down the front end.. I think I pass!!!   

Lego Technic Sirslayer chassis

Edited by sirslayer

and here is a youtube video of my model and how the steering maintains a forward motion after hitting a bump ..

Edited by sirslayer

Yes, there is a slight inward bend near the top of the wheel and that's inherent due to a single axle and u-joint holding the weight of the vehicle . Using Lego part 15461 as a wheel hub tightens the axle and u-joint and provides the wheel tighter feel of the wheel and having a real 3 pin wheel hub is your best solution but the size 49.5mm tires rims don't support the 3 pin wheel hub !!! I believe this design is a good solution for the 49.5mm tires if you want drive,suspension and steering!!    

Edited by sirslayer
grammar

I had a bit different solution twp years ago, but took it apart; perhaps I should take photo of it to help you a bit...it is similar to this one, but uses U frame with ball joint from Unimog U400 official set (set nr 8110)

Edited by I_Igor

oh, the 56mm tire, i was referring about the 49.5mm tyres :)... I also have a 56mm tire design which uses a narrow hub and on your 56mm setup.. are you using the older steering elements ..??   Buying the C-frame's last month was my best investments and I only have 5 sets total .....6 sets when my ZR-1 ships in !! Thanks for the  link...  There is a lot to browse in your folder!!   its 2:15 am and I need to sleep.. I have a job site  to attend at 12pm....  Have a good building day!!   

I have used 49.5 tire on that kind of setup, but do not have images of it. I'm using older gear rack on this setup(I have one half narrow beam here between differential and CV-joints), but with C-frame from Unimog U400 you can use new 7 studs long gear rack... Go take a rest; I 'll have interesting day with rain that is frosting on cold surfaces and have to drive some 100 miles to pick up results of ultrasound for my mother, after that I have to fix boiler :laugh:

so LEGO today is (most likely) only in mind...

Regards

Well, I hope @I_Igor was successful on the boiler and today I've done my first RC run on my Legotron chassis (project 8273) and recorded to youtube. This is the Super Legotron chassis and this version is an upgrade that includes 6x6 AWD with fake engine,49.5mm tires on rear independent suspension being powered by 2 Lego large motors direct coupled to a center differential operation on Lego's 9 volt battery box. A Hot Power 2.4ghz RC controller is the only non Lego item beside my duracells in the battery case. !2.4 volt operation experiments coming soon. I don't think its need a 12 volt update since performance on 9 volts is impressive. Using my building skills is like adding BuWizz to your MOC (just joking)  I was very impress with my first run and it shows off my Lego technic skills on building reliable, strong Lego Rc models. Here are a few pictures and a video of the chassis first run!! Sorry for the quality on the video, youtube seems to be more picky on what you can upload using HD and youtube won't let me fix the HD anymore!!  More features this MOC features , Anti-Ackermann steering, cab over or cab behind engine setup is possible and you can modified this MOC to use the functions and hardware from the Lego set 8273 since its a evolution from it. Double Gears for maximum traction and less gears skipping from drive train especially under 12 volts operation. Small scale and using a generic semi-tractor chassis that can be altered to fits your model needs. Axles with wheels on 5 x 7 frames acts like modules to add more axles or even a steering modules can be created and used.  If I get enough request then I might even do instructions ..( more like if I  have the time :) ) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AD6SE5cwsU&t=78s

Lego Technic Sirslayer chassisLego Technic Sirslayer chassisLego Technic Sirslayer chassisLego Technic Sirslayer chassis

Double gears output to ensure no gears slippage 

Edited by sirslayer

@sirslayer, honestly I needed 4 hours to clean heater...but now I can not get used to (to) hot water... I see that you made few adjustments and improvements in right direction...

27 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

Yes , I have!  I would post more pictures but Flicker says 1000 pictures are my limit!!  

That is what concerns me on my bricksafe account...if you open another account in moc pages or bricksafe will add more concerned and obligations in your life