sirslayer

Sirslayer's Chassis: Color the world with blacken

What about beams/liftarms. Have checked if parts other than black are also heavier?

yes , i have and will soon be posting the results and here are a few beams 

IMG_20180304_014946

IMG_20180322_050127

IMG_20180322_050143

IMG_20180304_014926

I believe blue is the second heaviest of colors 

sirslayer lego technicsirslayer lego technic

If you click on my pictures you can browse my flicker inventory  I have lift arms and more..  I plan to measured system elements !! and the meantime im shelving all project  just temporary cause my current project is using all resources!!  

IMG_20180329_191507

Edited by sirslayer

Today has been a good day so far, Got my Lego PF motors and my next purchase will be a Lego Power Up system.. Got my collectible Lego stickers and they are for free when you order from Lego.com and now I got them all !!!! also for free from Lego.com I got a Lego set full of plants!!!  What makes these so special that they are a representative to Lego's new formula for all future bricks and they are made from real plants!!.. I wonder if this formula  will be passed down to Technics???

sirslayer lego technic

Edited by sirslayer

16 hours ago, sirslayer said:

I also for free from Lego.com I got a Lego set full of plants!!!  What makes these so special that they are a representative to Lego's new formula for all future bricks and they are made from real plants!!.. I wonder if this formula  will be passed down to Technics???

Following same idea I'd love to see new LEGO engine parts, gears, shafts, etc. to be done from other vehicle's engines, gearboxes and so on. :) 

From what I have inferred, the new sugar cane derived plastics are polyethylene based, thus being more flexible than ABS, also someone mentioned that axles are a nylon resin, thus I don't think they will replace the traditional abs parts with this. Though I think they are moving to a more sustainable means of producing abs or similar  material.

Well, I couldn't resist and did a few comparison between a 10 year old palm leaf?? vs the new sugar based synthetics palm leaf..  First of all the flexibility is different and the sugar base bends easy and springs back  but...  I do believe Lego ages quickly with the bricks becomes more exposed to our environment  and the sun dries it to a brittle.  So comparing the flexibility between the to pieces needs to be observed in time. Ok, the tedious task of weighing them out is interesting .. I wonder if there would be any sugar based Technics?? and would that be the end of the density of color technic world??   the last posted picture are two Lego's pieces , 1 is the sugar base and the other is a 10 year sample..  can you guess which of the two is the real slim shady (the sugar base) !! 

this is the weight from the 10 year old sample.. 

20180827_202605

and the virgin, which has never been out of its package till now. touching them with our filthy oils can alter the weight.. 

20180827_202939

,hummmm  .. what can I say???well good luck !! 

20180827_203150

Edited by sirslayer
Dang I need my glasses , I made a mess and now I feel better

Now I understand why I feel more satisfied with all black chassis on my mocs that to have some kind color vomit (or something that associate on gay pride...:wacko:)

Interesting wikipedia article.

@I_Igor lol, I see your point and I see why!!  After a 20 year break and ive been recently purchasing technic sets and they all seem to have very colorful axles,connectors and pins which it seems to be a bit chaotic then useful. Seems like the older technic sets that are 10 years or older haves the flavors I would prefer. I was surprise to see a black colored even and odd length axles and gears set all in black..  sometimes it is worth to bid on ebay on assorted bags of technic elements.. I won a bid and purchase a pound of random Technics elements for $7 usd and I got over a pound of black elements that can at least do two moc for all the gears and axles to be in black... lift arms and panels are usually cheaper when you buy a real set (store) vs buying panels and lift arms separately are most costly which averagely at double the price of a regular Lego set.. Mocing can be costly even wanting to build a set with one color only..  unless you have every lego technic model for the last 5 years, Mocing even a all black technic model is becoming a costly habit and its getting into my beer funds.. its worth it ... :) 

Well if you picked the  lego element on the right side of the picture then it is great you have manage to keep your eye sight in good shape.. The color, the shape and even the thickness are the same.. I would predict when all Lego elements are transformed to a sugar cane base formula , the cost of shipping will be reduce because of a average 0.040 of a gram reduction on every Lego element which I hope will make the Lego's more affordable .. Believe it or not!!!!! 

20180827_203213

Edited by sirslayer
grammar

That is why I mostly buy sets on discount when they reach end of life cycle (2 or 3 years after introduction). In that case I got (half s year ago) Xerion for some 85€, about  2 years ago 42043 for 115€ (it had a bit damaged box and missing some parts that I got from LEGO afterwards...), few years ago set 42000 for 52€... I usually buy sets as parts pack to make MOCs, but now back to topics; today I was trying to make (as much as possible) black Unimog chassis, only I'm missing some 4 5 X 7 frames for this, so during next week I have brainstorming...:laugh:

@I_Igor  lol!!! I purchase 2 Lego 42075 to do a side by side comparison and I have both 2 x 5x7 frame (as in the lego set 42075 comes with 1x black colored 5x7 frame element!! and @ ebay $2.99 a piece!! ) ..   I ran out of black panels!!  to finish an all black 42075..  A bigger model like Unimog would show a bigger savings in the overall weight vs an all black elements. made. I would request you do a weight out between an colored vs your all black model and there are other colors to experiment like light blue gray colored elements are also light but not as strong as black colored elements from my experience and experiments .. You would be building the world's second optimized weighted MOD or MOC in the Lego world!!  ,some black elements are hard to find and a big collection would be helpful on this adventure  in the pioneer of optimized weighted Lego Technic!! 

Edited by sirslayer
grammar

Despite the fact that is some 18 studs wide (much smaller than original LEGO set) overall savings on weight is always welcome, specially when steering causes headache... I'll send you chassis images when it will be finished and optimized...

Edited by I_Igor

The weight savings will benefit the Lego RC community  in competition ranging to top speed or endurance with strength for rock climbing. Join the black color technic challenge and turn your favorite speed demon or that 8x8 monster truck into a precise weighted all color black MOC or model and see if it made a difference in weight and or performance!!  Then later dont forget to give me a pat on my back and say thanks :)  

Edited by sirslayer

My Moc will not have entirely black chassis simply because there are no black frames 11 X 5, but what ever I can make in black it would be black (black is cool and since I make machinery inspired MOCs it is welcome fact that most of them have black chassis), cab would be orange and tilting bed would be light bluish gray. Currently I have few chassis versions, but most simple and most sturdy will be chosen...in my topic you can see how it looks like but need to be optimized for weight savings

yes @I_Igor using www.bricklink.com  (thank you  @Johnny1360j for the link) for reference for color availability and even the weights are listed and some of the weight posted are way off!!!  Not all Lego technic elements are available in black..  That's ok!!   Some elements that are in dark blue gray are the heaviest and maybe the strongest of the colors and the parts in that color only are the best parts to use.. like differentials and axles with stops  and the dark gray color gears seems not to slip a lot compared to a smaller black gear of the same part .. check out the pictures for a few examples   After all this the perfect Lego Technic model doesn't need to be all black (you can't make all black) The heavy duty elements in Dark Blue Gray color only adds strength where its needed (differential) and using black beams and lift arms for the frame and chassis is ideal and to build around the Dark Blue Gray elements with black or any color in fact would be optimal for weight saving and durability... I also believe the color Red is the new next black since i can find differentials cases and gears in the color red!!!  Actually  it seems there is more red then black technic elements of all shapes and the weight of red always falls in the center of between black the lightest and Dark blue gray the heaviest /.. Red is the middle weight champ !!  

Here is an example of the color black gear is a tad smaller then any other color 

sirslayer lego technic

@I_Igor You can use a 5x7 black frame as a 11 x5 !!! lol 

sirslayer lego technic

and does anyone knows how to use the grooves inside the 5x7 and 5x11 frames ????!!!

sirslayer lego technic

3 hours ago, sirslayer said:

and does anyone knows how to use the grooves inside the 5x7 and 5x11 frames ????!!!

I have contemplated the reasons for those grooves before and usually pay attention to their orientation when following set instructions. However I don't really see any reason why it's necessary to do so. I think the only reason they are there and this is just speculation on my part, is just so they can be released from the moulding process, otherwise they would just stick on the mould. 

Then if that where the frame slides out from its mold it also allows you to slip a gear in the same slot. Differential's with the 3 bevel gears also have the same grooves so you can slide the gears n or out with ease .  Does the differences if the grooves were facing up vs face down on a wheel axles would make a difference .. ??? Hummmmm.. When is my next day off??  

Lego technic

Got to have the red Lego collect them all sticker!!! You can get these stickers when you order from Lego.com shopping website ..  Here in California, The Lego website seems to be a lot cheaper to purchase any Lego sets.  I do live in the middle of the Mojave desert!!   Enjoy your weekend my fellow afol

Grooves are for easier differential placement inside...and it is often used to place them in direction to easier pull differential out :wink:

@sirslayer I do not know how to use black frame instead light bluish gray here (at the front because on last part that sticks is liftarms 1 X 9 - 6 X 4 bent connected to for triangle for stiffness)

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Btw it is challenging in Mojave desert, but at least there is not far away someone who can help you to make your dreams come true (with dream catcher) :wink:

Edited by I_Igor

When speaking about Mojave desert always this came to my mind

IMG_1803ARCHANGEL-vi.jpg

Sorry for offtopic

@I_Igor sorry for a late reply!!  Work been kicking my butt!!    This may be a bit silly but it will work !!!

Lego technic Sirslayer

if you have the room on your model ..  This way of making your own 11 x 5 frame you need to use a cross member to hold it together but it does work!!    

Lego technic Sirslayer

And when I think of the Mojave desert I imagine this 

f4f9187926e04251bbc953b0f2b0073d

These are the latest project i'm working on , Lego 42075 to the max!!!  Dual 2 x large motors, front suspension and it barely hangs together

when operating in RC mode due to the high torque of the dual 2 x large motors!!  

IMG_20180913_145910

IMG_20180912_022410

IMG_20180912_022436

IMG_20180912_064643

And my Lego 42075's have true geometry ackermann steering and frame .. Also I built a frame for the rear end and it works very good!!! 

IMG_20180914_000049IMG_20180914_211108

@I_Igor I was thinking of doing a technic version of this .. My mother in law (she past away last year) made this and its part of her black foot American Indian culture.. I was impress with her gift and I designed my kitchen floor to accommodate it 

Black foot Indian

Black foot Indian

That is nice...several years ago my wife bought original dreamcatcher (OK no spiderweb but rest is from natural materials)...

Thanks for idea :thumbup: