sirslayer

Sirslayer's Chassis: Color the world with blacken

6 hours ago, Ankoku said:

I like the amount of testing and research that is going into this.

Indeed, much improvement, thanks for sharing your results. As I am relatively new to Technic, I feel as though I am learning as well. 

@Ankoku & @johnny1360 Thank you for your comments and even myself just started working with Lego just 4 months ago after a 20 year absent. All your feed back is important and together we can build anything!!!   

Here is a video of the steering and power 

Today, Im introducing ver 4.0 chassis. I will always go back to an older chassis version if need to, I ended up liking this build and it falls in under my chassis wip... This chassis based off from Lego Technic 40th anniversary chassis 8860!! I use to have this set when I was a child back in 1983 and I remember my parents paid $250 dollars for it!!!  prices sure haven't changed since then and last year 2017 Lego release the 40th anniversary chassis based from the original 8860 set and I have managed to build the chassis and a few mods i was able to create. well here is ver 4.0 chassis and a list of mods I added to it  

4.0 chassis

4 wheel drive all time 

2 way ackermann steering 

4 wheel suspension, front perpendicular suspension and default generic rear McPherson suspension 

Flat 6 Rear engine and decorations with hoses and pipes and fan 

1 link steering system (wow the default steering from the 40th anniversary model is simple and I believe one of the best to operate)

2 speed transmission with neutral ( simple axle slides with knob and 3 x 12t gears to fake engine) 

HOG on steering wheel!!

67.8 mm Lego tires

Built with weighted bricks to ensure balance 

IMG_20180505_143149

IMG_20180505_143316

IMG_20180506_061528

IMG_20180506_060904 IMG_20180506_061618IMG_20180505_154027 (1)IMG_20180506_061019

IMG_20180505_154309

Today was a good day!!!   Lego Pneumatic and Actuators was shipped today, I can play with the big boys!!!  I even seen an all red differential set and all this was under $50 usd!!  I even got a sticker from Lego.com!!!  has anyone collected all the stickers??

IMG_20180512_152953

Nice !

I love the pneumatic stuff, what's in the top left bag ?

lego technic 6x6

Panther 6x6 Dragster

I finally got my favorite Lego set 42068 with suspension and Hydro operations coming soon !!!    

WIP Ver 1.9 chassis 

Fire tanker/Rescue

Based off from the 42068 chassis!!!

1 XL Lego pf motor (default) 2 x XL is recommend. ( im not getting good results from 2 x L motors!!) 

output 1: 1.66 for 1 Xl motor , 1:2 for 2 XL motor 

Lego 40th anniversary chassis McPherson Suspension on 2 axles (How could I ignored Lego best chassis!!)

Lego 42068 based steering (yup, I kept it)

Various derivatives will follow in the future 

My very first technic set was the Lego set 8847 and a small tribute to dragify a fire truck!! 

Coming soon 

I hit the cat by accident  :wacko:

Edited by sirslayer

AMS2 Dragster theme

This is my entry for the AMS2 contest and I haven't gotten any notice so ill just present my entry!!

Lego 42068 ARV dragster !!

This lego moc/mod ended up turning the default set into a dragster and an upgrade to any 42068 fans if you want to have suspension on your fire truck!!  it still retains its boom functions and the dragster model is finished, the non-dragster version is still a WIP!! 

The dragster features includes

56mm default tires on front and 68.7mm tires on the rear to give it the "dragster" look

Flat 6 fake engine with blower and exhaust pipes that extends out like a dragster

2 Xl motors for power to the drive train. (this model weighs over 7 lb with add on's!!!) it still need more power !!

Retains all the fire truck functions 
1 Brave lego man driver based from red frog man

Dragster panels from real dragster set!!

Now a few pictures of my moc , the lego 42068 dragster!!!!!

20180602_164037_HDR

its actually covers a bit of ground on weight and size!!

20180601_193218

the inners..

20180601_193748 (1)

its still a fire truck!!

20180601_193909

the brave soul

20180601_193641

turned the cockpit into a 3 seater with driver in front/center

20180601_193422

and more to come!! please feel free to ask or post a comment or even a picture relating to this post.. thank you!!!  

Color coded compartment 

Use colors to the max!!! Don't be shy to use more then 4 colors on your moc!! The blue compartment is for future hydro function!! 

20180528_193414

Looks like a chupacabra??

20180528_192912

Suspension 

I thought the subject about Lego designed suspensions vs my Lego designed was a nightmare!!  I went to the fields and watch my builds based from Lego and even yours .. yes i said it.  own creations and admire your talents.  Designing a suspension on non suspended models is a good start to even understand the principles of simulated comfort!!   Efferman stated on his suspension design of his latest build was for traction and Wow!! he is correct!!  I went ahead and started on my suspension build with the focus on traction.  here is a short video the demonstrate on how you can uses the springs to always push out on the axles and how it gave my dragster some more tire thread at launch !!

Also on that video, I was experimenting on different ways to mount the PF motors for drive and more to come on my Lego technic adventures 

Motor mounts

Taking the next step into out of the box thinking I been testing varies ways to mount a couple Lego pf XL motors to the Lego 42068 drive train.  Before just mounting them to the rear of the frame was easy but I've noticed an off balance on weight and it didn't seem the coupled motor was giving its full potential . So  I un-coupled them and now im experimenting on separate axles..

lego technic 42068

added pto for future usages 

lego technic 42068

lego technic 42068

and I can repair any Lego PF motors, most of the time its the wiring to the PF case is where the connection can causes problem.. It can be from a couple of your gears that the cable gets chewed up from or it pulls from the motor end due to weight.. what ever causes it , a simple splice of a thicker gauge wire i use to fix a non operating motor into a well breathing motor.  If you have a dead Lego pf motor and want a quick fix.. hit me up and ill show some examples!!!

lego technic 42068

IMG_20180210_205839

Edited by sirslayer

yes, the pto are just there for testing and only one axle will drive it. the over all performance and the non clicking from going forward and reverse is solved and if you seen the last video Ive posted. The rear wheels got tangled up over a H frame and the rear section didn't fall apart. thats my milestone !!!  My motor mounts worked and yes Ive included a before pto picture .   The pto is for a pump and to fake motor and soon it will be connected and secured.  I will soon post an updated pto that also drives the front axles and a 5 min run unedited video to show durability and strength. I just wish I can just quit my job and just play with my Legos all day !!!!   

Edited by sirslayer

Hands of God boom control.  

this is my Boom, hands of god mod to your 42068 set.  its an older video and I might stay with this format..  I will see soon .. please enjoy and use my mod freely!!  

Color the world with blacken 

Today I would like to present my MOC color demonstrator.

Using SirSlayer weight reduction technic optimizations, You can design a light weight model to use and teach the concepts of RC/ IR  out door operations. I discovered a technique to save weight on Technic elements . I will present my proof of work and ideas of this exciting discovery. If you have follow my thread before well hold on to your seats!!  

The concept is to converted the Lego set 42075 to an all black version plus with my mods added to it since its all ready modded. In the process of converting red into black i weight out the elements .  All aspect of each element is determined of color availability. For example the Lego 42075 has a 2 cylinder engine and the engine block is LGB in color. I have green and transparent engine block to add on to the set . if my model id for display then any color can be used ..  If you plan to use your Lego Technic in RC outdoor operations then maybe you should look at the pictures ..   

First of all , you need to calibrate the scale.. 

sirslayer lego technic

10 grams exact and now your good to weigh out the lego 42075 LGB engine block 

sirslayer lego technicsirslayer lego technic

Both Lego 42075 engine blocks have an average weight of 2.7 and remember that parts do worn out and even touching with dirty hands can add or reduce weight !!  When I buy elements at Lego website , their elements almost always have exact weights on each different colored elements 

Now lets mod the Lego 42075 with a different colored engine block, there are green and transparent in my collection so lets weigh them out!! 

sirslayer lego technic

sirslayer lego technic

I would expect the transparent cylinder to be different, since it is not ABS but poly carbonate.

As you noticed that the transparent elements weigh more then the colored parts..  Transparent looks great in a display model and I like it personally. If i was designing my model for a RC model then LGB would be recommended since it weighs as the lightest of my bunch. yeah its only 0.1 of as gram is the difference but in my mod I would like to use a V-6 and that is 0.1 of a gram  x 6 times for a total of 0.6 of a gram of weight added if i used the green colored engine blocks..  So this is now my v-6 .Note black is the lightest weighed and the more black colored elements i used the more weight reductions occurs 

sirslayer lego technic

Some builders are now designing micro engines for smaller scales and weight reduction 

check out my micro engine !!

sirslayer lego technic

well after the conversion to black , i saved a total of 0.3 oz !!!   thats not bad after all !! 

sirslayer lego technic

This is my latest color demonstrator, built with RC in mind

sirslayer lego technic

Edited by sirslayer

@Bublehead Thanks for the info!!

Colored Gears

After many months of recording the weights of Lego Technic elements, I discovered a scale from the lightest to the heaviest in weight/color and the color scale I believe goes Black being light in weight vs Dark Gray Blue being heavy in weight.. Technic gears also follow the rules and on the Lego set 42075 there are some gears weight reduction if need be., for example 20t double  bevel gear,

sirslayer lego technic

the black color weights is lesser then tan. 

sirslayer lego technic

kinda dark?!!

and also lets compare a few more other gears 

sirslayer lego technic

sirslayer lego technicsirslayer lego technic

The last two picture gives you an idea

sirslayer lego technic

on the weight range/scale from lowest to highest in grams is indirect with the scale of colors, so far i have figured out black, lbg, yellow, red is the middle weight!!! , white and the heaviest color dbg!!! and thats the order of have figured out and i still haven't have enough of blue, green ect,ect, to add into the Lego rainbow  

Interesting concept, but why is such a small weight difference so important? If you want to save 0.3oz, just remove 5 parts, instead of building your entire MOC black?

the picture of the 8 oz model was a checkpoint, i estimate around 1.5 oz would be saved @ 10 oz  which is 15 percent reduction in weight and a goal to use a single 1 L motor would see a increase with acceleration . It is for RC outdoor operation and every oz of weigh you can shed would help.. like a race car having the brake pads drilled with holes to lose a few pounds!!  its a small gain but with all aspects covered I think it would be beneficial. Ive been working on this for a while and I would not do an announcement unless it was worthy and if your into Lego RC and competition , i would highly recommend it 

Edited by sirslayer
grammar

I am not sure about the 8T gears because the DBG one has extra plastic next to each tooth to reinforce it. Try using an old light gray one instead and compare it to the black.