sirslayer

Sirslayer's Chassis: Color the world with blacken

How much difference does it actually make to use colours other than black? Is it actually worth it to take the colour into consideration?

yes, get a scale that does 0.001 of a thousands and the same piece/element of another color and compare it to black of the same element. you'll be amaze  

On 3/10/2018 at 7:31 PM, sirslayer said:

I discovered beams and lift arms also weight differently, For example:

This dark gray weighs 1.726 grams and

IMG_20180304_014910

Red of the same shape weighs 1.68 grams!!!

IMG_20180304_014943

That is a difference 0.114 grams!!  

Isn't that actually a difference of only, 0.04?

I can't imagine the very slight weight difference would be enough to significantly increase the strength of the heavier one either. Although it does seem some colors have a higher failure rate. 

It's good to see various theorys proved and disproved still. Keep up the experiments.

oops!! you're correct @Johnny1360That was a poor example of a picture I uploaded, I was excited when I made the discovery and search the forums and no one seem to be aware and wanted to post the weights and color on the other part of this forum but i to hear from others , first .  there are friction and non friction axles and pins vs color  and it seems that got carried over to the beams and liftarms ? Black pins and axles are unusual, there are friction pins but the axles are friction-less with a light gray element but friction to other colors  and while light gray pins are friction-less and so are the axles are friction-less and the rest of the colors seem to follow that pattern. When you feel and bend the longer axles, light gray feels smooth while black haves feels rough but no as rough as dark gray. Dark gray pins and axles seems to have the a better friction slide (more resistance) that makes them favorable for axles so the wheels doesn't slip off to easy for an example  on them and maybe its the best in the friction world? But it doesn't seem as strong and have broken a few dark gray and light gray pieces . I haven't broken any black axles since my discovery and lift arms and beam can vary weight and yes  0.04 of a gram is small but measure the longer beams and the weight difference should be a bigger difference and I have push my Lego's elements to the limits.  I just don't have a big collection and I ask of any AFOL to please share you result. I;m convinced that the difference in color have different attributes and even though weight do vary , some colors are immune to weight and have different strength !! the smallest pieces all weigh the same regardless of color @ 0.1 or 0.099 of a gram . So weight is only important on larger scales is the out come. Strength and tensile seems to varies on beams and lift arms in color.  weight was a clue but maybe each color could been process differently for a reason??  

Note, not all elements/pieces have all the colors, Understanding Lego technic market, Black frames and red differentials and gears are also appearing in red..   maybe red is the next black???  

update, ive have noticed some of my black axles have cuts and gouges on them. that would affect my friction test and it seems the black color shafts are thinner overall?? Ive manage to gather a few good condition black axles and that the reason it would weigh a bit lesser and the do slide with easy making them friction-less . Im afraid i do abuse my Lego's pieces !!! on another note ,last month i did receive an order from Lego's and just now I did weigh a few perfect brand new black color 5l beams and i got a letter that says that each brick were hand picked , to me that sounds like im getting the best bricks from Lego's own stash.. the results .. they all weight exactly the same 1.200 grams !!!! wow!!!  Even a handful of the same beam and color are in good condition and only 4 moths old same tend to vary in weight , 0.001 to 0.004 grams which is very small to notice a difference so age and just touching them can affect the weight and condition. I wonder if Lego have different grade of elements and they offer a higher quality bricks if you go straight to them?? I need to do more observations.. How did that songs goes?? my milkshake is better than yours... 

Edited by sirslayer
to be more precise

There is very little info when I google about the weight of Lego elements and bricks and color then I found this,.. its just adds more question then answers!! Well for now on only brand new Lego parts will be weighed to get more of an accurate weight and to see if weight does varies on the same parts and same color and to figure out some way to measure quality.. Maybe my axles could of snap from not building  my model correctly and recently it got better on my builds and therefore parts ain't breaking anymore . why should I give the color black any credit!!!!  

https://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/1305/how-much-does-a-lego-brick-weigh

@Johnny1360 these are rough measurements of a couple 15 l beams but the parts a clean and at excellent condition, i would feel safe to say in this order from lightest to heaviest. black,light gray, red,white, dark gray. even though its only a 0.065 gram difference ,between red and white and  i dont have black in a 15 l beam, and i have a hunch that the weight difference between black and white would be 0.1 and maybe with dark gray would be greater then .1.. so then color beams does follow a pattern with weight.   this is where 10 pieces of the 15 l beams can affect the weight compared from the lightest to the heaviest  color could add a gram of weight for every 10 pieces of the l 15 beams of different color, this is just a estimate till i get more 15 l beams of different color .. but i do think im on the right track. 

IMG_20180322_134250

IMG_20180322_134326

and is this Lego Technic lightest piece?? a half size bushing with the grip teeth on one side?? its at 0.075 grams!!

IMG_20180322_140213

i sure do need to dust my table off!!!  i live in the desert so sand can get everywhere!!! 

COLOR MY WORLD 

The secrets of color in the Lego Technic world.    Today, I receive my ebay order that consist of new elements in black color and did an experiment with weight. I was curious if the shapes and color had any special attributes beside friction. I wanted to design a light weight RC based Lego model and color was important to me a few months ago and somehow I ended decoding Lego Technic color code.. I heard and read about  using color codes to specify certain functions on your model and some hardcore designers may know about.   Well this is what I gather for data and their is a color pecking order.. Its not 100% percent but I did make a prediction on the weight of my new black elements and I almost nailed it but a few pieces that stood out and why? The color with the lower weight seems to point at black and dark gray should be the heaviest.. Red is in the middleweight!!  well I received 10 T shape in black color. part no 60484 .. and i predicted that it would be lighter in weight compared to the dark gray t shape lift arm of the same part.  well my results were kind of surprising!! 

6 out of 10 weighted the same 1.185 grams to be exact !!!

IMG_20180322_180356

and of course the dark gray t shape weight 

IMG_20180322_181945 (1)

and its only 0.015 grams heavier which is not that much but it does scale proportional as the beam gets longer

the surprise!! 

why did 4 out of 10 have a different weight ??and they all are the same shape color and 6 of them were spot on. Its about quality!! 

IMG_20180322_181316

so what does that mean????

IMG_20180322_182215

they are real Lego!!!!

Edited by sirslayer

Got the frame more Ackermann compliant 

IMG_20180322_173406

Edited by sirslayer
Ill do it better next time

And a preview of the cab and 6x6. Im almost finish with this 6x6 MOC. I want to add more functions..   any ideas anyone??

lego technic 6x6lego technic 6x6

8 hours ago, sirslayer said:

Wouldn't this piss you off????  It was shoved in my mail box!!!!  Urrggghhh!!!

I would really hate anyone doing such acts !

@arijitdas

and I can tell its not from shipping that damage it. the box was long and skinny. my mail box is big enough if you slide it in like a letter!!!  

:thumbup: :classic:

Mini Chassis 3.0 "Chief Fire Ranger 4x4" (tm)  

Well I went ahead and put Ver. 2.1 chassis on the shelf and get back to it later. Its has a major suspension upgrade and Im still learning on how to use the shock absorber correctly and I just got myself a Lego set 42075 which ver. 3.0 chassis is based from .. It follows the same scale as the Lego set 42068 which ver. 1 and 2 chassis is derived which I favor due to its smaller scale and just enough performance under 9 volts to be satisfied.

3,0 mini chassis

Based off the Chevrolet  4x4 1500 Suburban

4 door Body with interior and all Lego PF devices are hidden and full cosmetic California based Ranger's themed

1 XL Pf motor and 1 M Pf motor with receiver and battery inside cargo area of model. Compatible to all types of controllers.

67.8 mm Lego balloon tires

All time 4 wheel drive with limited slip differential

Generic A frame front end suspension with 2 links and generic "baja" buggy style rear suspension 

This is my first release and updates will be plenty:)

IMG_20180420_062625

IMG_20180420_062646IMG_20180420_024147IMG_20180420_024402 (1)IMG_20180420_062056IMG_20180420_062121IMG_20180420_062307IMG_20180419_232845

Suspension

its like McPherson struts with 2 links for stability, for a small scale model, finding that right setup to do suspension can be a challenge. Its small enough to use the balloon tire as its cushion so therefor a simple A-arm style with out independent is nice to have.. testing of this is still WIP and a few days Ill determined if i need to change. 

IMG_20180419_205214

Interesting concept for sure but to be honest, I can't see that suspension working very well, the drive shaft would push the axle forward as the suspension compresses, that's where CV joints come in handy. Also at the very least you should rotate one of the U joints 90 degrees, so the slots are on the same side of the axle. Looks like it could use a couple of links for stabilization as well. Anyway good luck and brick on. 

thank you @Johnny1360 I did change the front suspension by allowing the steering bar to slide up and down on two long vertical rods that was connected to the steering rack and made the suspension perpendicular to allow the ease of the rods to slide up and down which work very good (see picture) and no more pushing like you said, I took off perpendicular limiter and the only issue is now when i take a deep turn left or right its popping up the steering rack but it will center out and the rack is connected again , i didnt see that when the perpendicular limits was on....    .. On ver. 3.2 chassis im changing back to posi-traction. im not to impress with using unlock diff !!!

this is with the limiter on

IMG_20180420_180239

the blue 2l lift beam prevents the rack to slide off

IMG_20180420_180213 (1)

and @Johnny1360 you have eagles eyes!!!! yes your correct about my 90 degree u joint rotation!!!!  

IMG_20180420_182731

Edited by sirslayer

Yes, that looks better, although I still think it needs some links or torsion bars to strengthen it up a little and help keep everything in place while Baja'n. 

That is an interesting steering solution you have there, I might have to "borrow" that idea. The way it slides instead of pivoting. 

Edit; 

Are those red shocks hard or soft? 

Edited by Johnny1360

16 hours ago, sirslayer said:

Mini Chassis 3.0 "Chief Fire Ranger 4x4" (tm)  

Well I went ahead and put Ver. 2.1 chassis on the shelf and get back to it later. Its has a major suspension upgrade and Im still learning on how to use the shock absorber correctly and I just got myself a Lego set 42075 which ver. 3.0 chassis is based from .. It follows the same scale as the Lego set 42068 which ver. 1 and 2 chassis is derived which I favor due to its smaller scale and just enough performance under 9 volts to be satisfied.

Starting to look great! Keep it up!

Version 3.3 Chassis 

Airport Rescue support truck

This release based from 3.0 includes the following or changes 

Dually Rear end

A-frame style front end suspension with Ackermann steering 

Posi-traction differentials

The perpendicular suspension and steering on ver 3.2 chassis work good but using sliding rods to the steering rack get stuck when operating outdoors. Not apparent indoors, I needed my chassis to be used in all types of environment. I modified ver 3.0 a-frame style suspension and now I able to operate outdoors and not even using any links to support it. The video is the first test run and its just the suspension with the steering locked to observed my design before i make it permanent. It even beat Lego own design on the rear suspension and the only issue is that the rear wheels tend to pop off either from being a dually and its bulky with weight. The rear suspensions is based from the lego 42075 design and the front suspension is my design.. On the end of the video, the true victor emerges!!  

The video recording came out side ways so just till your head to view it!!

Edited by sirslayer