Sign in to follow this  
richpantson

Lego APT with passive tilt MOC

Hi

Ive been following the forums for quite a while and wanted to show my latest finished project. I originally posted this on Lego Ideas about 2 years ago but since then made some improvements and also bought the parts to finish off the carriages and driving cars

I have been working on this for about 3 years on and off with a lot of changes happening in the bogies to limit the drag round corners.

Each carriage is on a rocker suspended between the bogies. The tilt is then provided by the bogie pushing the carriage underneath and titling it.

The driving bogie is in the front power car and is also on a rocker, clipped to a 2x4 technic plate. This allows movement in all directions.

IMG_20180216_093445.jpg
IMG_20180216_093559.jpg
IMG_20180216_093811.jpg
IMG_20180216_094035.jpg
IMG_20180216_094142.jpg
IMG_20180216_094337.jpg

i have uploaded some youtube videos of it in action

Theres some improvements needed (better bogie to carriage fixing) and I need to make some InterCity decals for the power car and noses. These need to white so any advice on making these would be grateful. 

Time to move onto another project now..

Rich

Welcome to EB Rich, and what an intro! Looks really great! I got a little dizzy while using the 3d feature I must say but very neat and also great job on the cam.

That's quite some entrance! I love the colours and shaping around the cab, it looks perfect. The working tilting just tips it off. Excellent work!

@richpantson  I really like what you've done here.   Despite the dizziness induced by watching this from a camera POV on the tilting train, the affect is significant!   Have you done testing as to how fast you can get this tilting train to go on the standard R40 curves, compared to the same train without tilt?   Does the tilting have a quantifiable impact on speed?

thanks for the kind words.

@icemoronsIve not done a speed test yet with and without the tilt. I should be able to easily disable the tilt and make the carriages static.

I'll see if I have time today.. not sure Lego fits in with Mothers Day in our house ;-) If not, sometime this week.

I'll upload a youtube clip. Who doesnt like Lego trains crashing?

@JopieK @icemorons I wonder if the dizziness of the VR cam is what the actual passengers felt ;-)

Nice train, especially the tilting.

I guess I have to take a closer look at your technique since I once tried a tilting mecanism which failed in switches and s-curves.

@Stefaneris in the above bogie pictures you can see that each carriage is only every controlled by 1 bogie. if 2 bogies try to push the same carriage it will buckle on points and s-bends.