I've decided it's about time I continue developing my naval character's story, and I'm very pleased with how the build turned out. As always, comments and criticism are welcome.

40677208532_14df76a5c7_c.jpgThe Inn by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Captain Anthony Genaro walked down the road distressed. Once again, the only letter waiting for him at the port admiral's office was from his brother. Nothing from the admiralty, no news of a command, and to make matters worse there was still no word on when the payroll would arrive. At this point, he just wanted to return to his room without any further disappointment, but as he turned one last corner before reaching his inn, he saw that wouldn't be the case. 

40008988364_7d360be1c1_c.jpgThe Inn by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

“Captain Genaro!” Abigale Fisher shrieked, her bulky frame filling most of the door, when the young officer was a few steps away. “Do you have any idea what day it is?” 

“And a most good and holy day it is, no doubt,” the Captain replied, knowing full well what Abigale was after, but doing his best to avoid it.  

“Today marks six months, Captain, six months,” she continued, hands firmly planted on her hips, her stone-cold gaze unyielding. “Six months since I’ve seen a penny of rent out of you.” 

39824726445_972e6d7339_c.jpgThe Inn by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

“Good lord, has it really been that long? Well, I for one will be sure to write to the port admiral and complain about his inability to maintain a steady schedule for the payroll ship.”  

“Don’t you dare give me any of that today, Captain, I don’t want your jokes.” 

Anthony gulped as he began racking his brain for the right response. He could stare down a Ship of the Line in not more than a brig or be the first to board a galley of bloodthirsty corsairs, but none of that mattered now.  

“Well?” Abigale asked.  

“It’s just… well, you see times are tough for a poor officer on half pay,” Anthony meekly replied. “I’m barely scrapping by as is. But on my honor, as soon as the payroll arrives,” but Abigale interrupted him before he could finish. 

“Oh, good. I’m sure my creditors will be happy to take your good will and honor in lieu of gold. Oh, sure, I’m certain that’ll keep me out of debtors’ prison.” 

“But what would you have me do?” Anthony cried out, desperate for some way to pacify his landlady and get back to his room. 

“Surely your sword or medals would be worth a few month’s rent,” replied Abigale, her cold stare unchanged.  

“Why, an excellent idea, Mrs. Fisher. Let me just take a look in my trunk...”  

“Oh, no you don’t, Captain! I know you haven’t got anything in there!” Abigale exclaimed. “You’ve got a perfectly good medal on your hat and a perfectly good sword in your belt.” 

“Well, surely this can wait until tomorrow,” Anthony pleaded.  

“No!”  

“But it’s late! Surely you don’t intend to let me spend the night in the streets!” 

Abigale just stood in the doorway and stared at the captain. Then, without another word, she turned, entered the inn, and slammed the door shut, leaving Anthony alone, cursing his current situation. 

“Gen?” a familiar voice asked. “Anthony Genaro? By Zeus it is!”  

40675843982_5da4af0e3a_c.jpgThe Inn by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Anthony turned to the voice and immediately cheered up. “Paul Laforge, you old devil!” he exclaimed upon seeing his old shipmate. They served together as midshipmen in the peace and both were commissioned as lieutenants on the Mars during the Juniper War, but Anthony hadn't seen Paul for years. He immediately ran over and kissed each cheek in the proper Olean greeting. “How have you been? How’s Marie?” 

“Fine, both of us just fine, thank you,” Paul replied. “But it appears that you’ve seen better.” 

"Ah, it's nothing, just waiting for my next assignment," Anthony said. "But what's this? Don't tell me you've sold out?"

"Alas, I'm afraid I have" Paul chuckled. "Half pay simply didn't suit Marie, but I was able to get one of the company's ships. Nothing like serving the Crown, but by Zeus do they pay well."

"And it appears you ate most of it" Anthony said with a playful jab at his friend's increasing gut. 

"Well, Marie is quite a cook. Speaking of which, perhaps you could join us for dinner?"

"I'd hate to impose..." 

"Come, come! I won't take no for an answer!" 

"Well, if you insist," Anthony replied, not requiring much encouragement to enjoy a free meal with his old friend. 

40008522294_d9543bf764_c.jpgThe Inn by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Marvellous wall texturing and the addition of the plants makes it look even more beautiful. Great work on the cobbled street and the roof with the small oriels. The dirty small windows work amazingly. Fantastic work all around!

Great writing, I really enjoyed the reading, I just hope Capt. Antony could find a more comprehensible hostess. 

And as Elos said, cool wall technique!

Excellnt build and story Genaro! The detailing on the outside is absolutely fantastic, the use of all the pieces to make the small details pop is suburb. 

I must comment on the lack of an interior however. :sceptic:

This is an super beautifull Inn you made!

The windows work out very well.

Nice! :)

That building has amazing details that were simply not shown in the stories ... But it was a great read ... Im glad you included the final picture.  I have taken note of several detail elements for future use.

I love your build, the stone wall, the wood beams filled with brick and plaster (what is the English name for that?) walls, the fine, the street. All works great together. 

And I can't understand why I never thought of building a door like that our of 1x# plates. 

I must say that I'm a little surprised by just how well received (relative to my other builds) this MOC is both here and on Flickr.  

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, Elostirion said:

Marvellous wall texturing and the addition of the plants makes it look even more beautiful. Great work on the cobbled street and the roof with the small oriels. The dirty small windows work amazingly. Fantastic work all around!

Thank you, sir. I'm still trying to improve my skills with greenery, but I'm glad it's well received so far. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Great story and wow, that building is awesome! Great details all around!

I'm glad you like it. 

23 hours ago, Bodi said:

Great writing, I really enjoyed the reading, I just hope Capt. Antony could find a more comprehensible hostess. 

And as Elos said, cool wall technique!

Thank you. I'm glad you like it. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "comprehensible." Is part of the story hard to follow? 

22 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Excellnt build and story Genaro! The detailing on the outside is absolutely fantastic, the use of all the pieces to make the small details pop is suburb. 

I must comment on the lack of an interior however. :sceptic:

That's very kind of you to say, thank you. 

Unfortunately an interior isn't possible. From the outside it may appear that I used 1 stud wide bricks and plates, but in reality most of the plates are at least 2 studs wide and many of the bricks are, too. 

21 hours ago, Maxim I said:

This is an super beautifull Inn you made!

The windows work out very well.

Nice! :)

Thank you for the compliment. 

20 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

That building has amazing details that were simply not shown in the stories ... But it was a great read ... Im glad you included the final picture.  I have taken note of several detail elements for future use.

For the stories I like to have pictures from the minifigs' views, but that does overlook much of the build. 

I look forward to seeing you improve upon the elements in your future builds.

16 hours ago, Bart said:

I love your build, the stone wall, the wood beams filled with brick and plaster (what is the English name for that?) walls, the fine, the street. All works great together. 

And I can't understand why I never thought of building a door like that our of 1x# plates. 

I'm glad you love it. I believe the English term is plaster. 

As for the door, I'm sure that I copied the design from somewhere else. 

7 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

'm not sure what you mean by "comprehensible." Is part of the story hard to follow? 

Sorry, your story is perfectly understanble, it was me who has used a wrong adjective, I wanted to say "a more compassionate hostess", after all, life has never been easy for subaltern officers.