WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71021 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 18

LEGO COLLECTABLE MINIFIGURES SERIES 18  

165 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 18?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 18?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Will you like to see traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series?

• 1 - Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 2 - No, I prefer licensed LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 3 - No, I prefer singular theme on LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series

Thanks for the pic, Whitefang. Certainly looks good  with the short legs, that car. I had already planned to buy a box, and this review cemented it. so many useful parts.

@WhiteFang, thanks for another fantastic review. I've kept reading your reviews since 2010. You really put an exceptional amount of effort in the pictures you take. My favorite part of your reviews is all of the extra pictures with other figures that you take. It makes me realize how much this theme has enriched Lego's minifigure selection!

Thanks for the amazing, comprehensive review Fangy! Funny enough your favourites are ones I'm interested in the least, since I've never cared too much for the costume minifigures. Or perhaps I made sure not to get into them from the beginning because I knew I'd then be tempted to collect them all...

I get where a lot of people are coming from with dislike for this series, and especially disappointment that the non-Licensed series spot isn't a totally "normal" one this time, but to me this one still has enough to offer and for people looking for normal minifigures it fares a lot better than the Batman series plural, Simpsons, or even the Monsters series really. I'm primarily into CMF for parts to mix and match, and only occasionally for whole minifigures that are too cute as a whole to pass up. There are lots of good parts and usable prints here. Not the whole series, sure, but still some good picks.

The two birthday kids have amazing parts all around from the minifigure prints to the hair to the accessories. I'm also into the horse-riding guy for good prints and the costume which will look hilarious in a variety of settings. Can't pass on the brick people just for those brick bodies (and the hair pieces in new colours are a plus). And I wouldn't be interested in the elephant, but that mouse is too cute... LEGO's got me shoving the mouse into that one.

My favourites are Flower Pot and Cactus girls, Dragon costume and the Clown. The birthday kids are adorable with great accessories. I like the Unicorn's shield but otherwise it does nothing for me.

Interesting to see they went with Orange stands. I guess I have enough black ones now so this is no big deal. I wonder if after adding the Batman Logo to the stands in the series 2 figures a variety of stands is going to be the new norm.

How is the big Spider attached to the kid - is there a bracket attached to it?

Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts. It was wonderful to know what you think about this series and the review itself. :sweet: 

On 3/14/2018 at 4:23 PM, Steampunk Sheriff said:

Could I trouble you for a group shot of all the western minifigures released so far?

Sure and I hope you like it, 

CMFs Wild Wild West
26972286168_d66128e709_o_d.jpg

On 3/14/2018 at 5:32 PM, alex54 said:

Thanks for this detailed review!

This series is not my favourite one, even if there are some nice figs.

I don't find a general cfeeling about those figs, some are in the costume theme, when some other are not really.

By the way, I really like the new mouse, which looks really cute!

Alex, glad to see you around. How can any of the CMFs Series 18 not able to interest you? They could fit well in your Modular tabletop towns and having some form of mascot parade. Seriously, you ought to reconsider it closely. Maybe there are a few more which may interest you further to expand into this CMFs. :wink: 

On 3/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, BrickHat said:

@WhiteFang, thanks for another fantastic review. I've kept reading your reviews since 2010. You really put an exceptional amount of effort in the pictures you take. My favorite part of your reviews is all of the extra pictures with other figures that you take. It makes me realize how much this theme has enriched Lego's minifigure selection!

Thanks BrickHat. I didn't know that you had been reading them since Series 1 (which was not quite up to mark), but I am so glad you had followed through on my reviewing works, dedicated to LEGO Minifigures aka CMFs. It was a great pleasure for me to integrate many past minifigures in current context. 

On 3/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, Clone OPatra said:

Thanks for the amazing, comprehensive review Fangy! Funny enough your favourites are ones I'm interested in the least, since I've never cared too much for the costume minifigures. Or perhaps I made sure not to get into them from the beginning because I knew I'd then be tempted to collect them all...

I get where a lot of people are coming from with dislike for this series, and especially disappointment that the non-Licensed series spot isn't a totally "normal" one this time, but to me this one still has enough to offer and for people looking for normal minifigures it fares a lot better than the Batman series plural, Simpsons, or even the Monsters series really. I'm primarily into CMF for parts to mix and match, and only occasionally for whole minifigures that are too cute as a whole to pass up. There are lots of good parts and usable prints here. Not the whole series, sure, but still some good picks.

The two birthday kids have amazing parts all around from the minifigure prints to the hair to the accessories. I'm also into the horse-riding guy for good prints and the costume which will look hilarious in a variety of settings. Can't pass on the brick people just for those brick bodies (and the hair pieces in new colours are a plus). And I wouldn't be interested in the elephant, but that mouse is too cute... LEGO's got me shoving the mouse into that one.

Thanks Clonie. I knew you are never a costume fan or perhaps this is not much of a licensed taste. However, I am glad there are some minifigures in this series which serve useful parts. Either just merely serving the purpose of useful parts/accessories or just minifigures design, I am sure there is something out there for everyone. 

11 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

My favourites are Flower Pot and Cactus girls, Dragon costume and the Clown. The birthday kids are adorable with great accessories. I like the Unicorn's shield but otherwise it does nothing for me.

Interesting to see they went with Orange stands. I guess I have enough black ones now so this is no big deal. I wonder if after adding the Batman Logo to the stands in the series 2 figures a variety of stands is going to be the new norm.

How is the big Spider attached to the kid - is there a bracket attached to it?

Thanks TeufelHund. I am also wondering if this minifigure baseplate will start becoming a new norm to design the plate further (not just restricting to possible licensed series). The big spider is unable to attach to the kid and remain standing. It will fall down because the spider butt is too big. Yes, there's a bracket holder which allow the minifigure neck to hold onto it. 

Thank you very much for this great review, WhiteFang! :classic:

I would have prefered a regular (and not themed) series. Since we get only one non-licensed series this year any - which is really a shame. Apart from this, I find this series outstanding. Of course the price per minifig is hurting. But in contrast to the last non-licensed series, in this series 4 Euros for a minifig is imo justified since there are really so many new moulds (nearly min. one for every fig).

I find this review very helpful and useful.

To me, the distribution allocation number made no diefference.

I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series. As long as a series is an "in-house-license" like TLM or TLNM (not TLBM!), it's ok with me since you don't have to pay for the license and therefore get many different and useful minifigs. But "normal" licensed series are absolutely not my taste. I wish back the beginning of the CMS, when there were two, sometimes even three regular series a year. (And when the minifigs were sold for a reasonable price.)

This is a great looking set imo and I'am very excited to get my hands on them. We are still debating but I think this will be the first series that we buy a whole box instead of just feeling the packs up. I can't miss out on the police figure! Now I just have to do the research on where the best place to buy a case in the US is.

@WhiteFang Thank you so much for yet another fun and outstanding review. I enjoy these a lot and find myself returning to them just because you put the new minifigures in such enjoyable contexts. I appreciate the effort you invest in these reviews.

Thanks for the review!  As always, you've provided a good, in depth analysis of the minifigures and pieces in relation to past LEGO.  The pictures are also great.

Much appreciated!

I'm confused with the Cowboy Suit Guy. Does he have orange or yellow arms? 

By the way, it seems someone lost his "15" brick @WhiteFang :laugh:

34 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I'm confused with the Cowboy Suit Guy. Does he have orange or yellow arms? 

I don't have that minifigure yet, but I'm pretty sure the colour is what BrickLink calls bright light orange.

I know this sounds stupid, but how do I buy a box?

Let's focus on lego.com.

If I order a count equal to a box, do I automatically get a box shipped?  Is there going to be a check box to order a whole box?  Do I need to include a note?

Any advice/help/tips will be appreciated.

edit:  I know they aren't available until 01April

Edited by Juxtapoisson
additions

I noticed the underside of the horse front has what looks like the minifigure torso connection holes. Can it be attached directly to minifigure legs?

On 27/03/2018 at 10:16 PM, AmperZand said:

I don't have that minifigure yet, but I'm pretty sure the colour is what BrickLink calls bright light orange.

Update: I have that minifigure now and I was right: the arms are bright light orange.

8 hours ago, Juxtapoisson said:

Let's focus on lego.com.

If I order a count equal to a box, do I automatically get a box shipped?  Is there going to be a check box to order a whole box?  Do I need to include a note?

Any advice/help/tips will be appreciated.

edit:  I know they aren't available until 01April

They're available from some bricks and mortar stores. I don't know about lego.com, but if you ask the manager at a WHS if they will reserve an unshelved box for you, they usually will. However, they may insist that the box be opened so they can count the packets as they won't necessarily trust TLG with the count. They will open the box in front of you so you can see that nothing has been swapped.

3 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

I noticed the underside of the horse front has what looks like the minifigure torso connection holes. Can it be attached directly to minifigure legs?

No. The gap is much too small to fit minifigure leg pins.

14 hours ago, AmperZand said:

They're available from some bricks and mortar stores. I don't know about lego.com, but if you ask the manager at a WHS if they will reserve an unshelved box for you, they usually will.

Thank you very much.  What is a WHS?  Is that an anagram for a chain?  Or for Warehouse-store? Any advice for specific national chain stores?

1 hour ago, AmperZand said:

By the way, you have a cool username!

Thank you, that's why I chose it.

I was hoping to get the box from lego.com and the minifig factory.  Looks like lego.com doesn't do that.  Maybe I'll talk to some store managers in person (ugh).

That's Rocket Racer, isn't it?

Does it say "R. Racer" down below, am I reading that right? That plus the logo would mean that he is, essentially, a modern version of RR.

7 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

Yes, but what I am curious about is whether it actually says "R. Racer". There's a little bit of text on the bottom of the torso, which would support the logo even more.

8 hours ago, General Magma said:

Yes, but what I am curious about is whether it actually says "R. Racer". There's a little bit of text on the bottom of the torso, which would support the logo even more.

It does. He is :laugh: His face is like a slightly more mature (and modern LEGO design) of Rocket Racer. I have a LEGO racers poster stuck to a cabinet and indeed they compare. (The figures popped up early locally). 

Finally after all these years we get a Rocket Racer!

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

It does. He is :laugh: His face is like a slightly more mature (and modern LEGO design) of Rocket Racer. I have a LEGO racers poster stuck to a cabinet and indeed they compare. (The figures popped up early locally). 

Finally after all these years we get a Rocket Racer!

That's amazing. So he gets some acknowledgment - I seriously hope the "Billion Brick Race" movie will involve actual race cars and will have Rocket Racer in it as well.
Honestly, it would be a huge missed opportunity if they didn't have him in there - he's a beloved character among AFOLs and even just people who were into LEGO as kids during the late 90s or early 2000s would go
"Hey! Isn't that the guy from LEGO Racers?". But I'm happy to finally see a Rocket Racer figure, and will be adding this guy to my collection. Perhaps we should have a contest here on EB where all contestants must design
a car in the same vein as those from the original 'Racers' game, choosing any theme they want... that would bring a good bit of fun.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. I am glad you had enjoyed the review. More importantly, the minifigures are now officially released on 1 Apr 18 and is no April Fool Joke. Have you got any luck getting your favourite minifigures? 

On 3/19/2018 at 12:18 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

I would have prefered a regular (and not themed) series. Since we get only one non-licensed series this year any - which is really a shame. Apart from this, I find this series outstanding. Of course the price per minifig is hurting. But in contrast to the last non-licensed series, in this series 4 Euros for a minifig is imo justified since there are really so many new moulds (nearly min. one for every fig).

Wow, K.D. It's hard for you to rate a series as outstanding. I am glad you like this series despite many past licensed CMFs release lately. 

On 3/28/2018 at 4:40 AM, Robert8 said:

By the way, it seems someone lost his "15" brick @WhiteFang :laugh:

Yes, I had somehow misplaced it. :laugh: 

On 3/30/2018 at 4:09 AM, Takanuinuva said:

Nope it cannot be done. 

On 3/29/2018 at 11:12 PM, Juxtapoisson said:

Let's focus on lego.com.

I had not ordered CMFs via LEGO.com. I always get my mint boxes via store front. In Singapore's case, it will be the LEGO Certified Stores and these stores do sell in cartons.