Sign in to follow this  
SirBlake

Toys R Us prepping to liquidate US operations

I looked, but didn't see this posted anywhere else:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/toys-r-us-said-to-be-prepping-liquidation-of-u-s-operations

There's still a tiny chance this could be avoided, but it does seem like the most likely result. No more TRU in the US, and other markets are in danger too, but their fate isn't decided yet.

That would be a real bummer for exclusives and the like, though I won't miss the "TRU tax" that is higher prices than just about anywhere else.

The only silver lining is that there could be some great clearance deals to be found, for a little while anyway.

Well the UK physical stores have kept to 10% discounts. On prices that are normally above everyone else that brings them roughly down to retail. I don't see them selling a great deal based on that. Maybe the US will have some better offers if it goes pop.

2 hours ago, Robianco said:

Well the UK physical stores have kept to 10% discounts. On prices that are normally above everyone else that brings them roughly down to retail. I don't see them selling a great deal based on that. Maybe the US will have some better offers if it goes pop.

Well, liquidate means sell everything, so I expect that all items will be discounted at progressively greater intervals until it's all gone.

What will this mean for the future of Speed Champions, if Lego indeed has at least a sixth year planned for it?

Time to hit up my local TRU. :grin:

How deep do you think the discounts will be? I imagine that all of the Lego will be gone fairly early on in the process.

Even without the discounts, the closest TRU is pretty well cleaned out on sets that most people are after.  Eventually, they will have to offer some significant discounts to get rid of the rest.  Was hoping to buy Mos Eisley Cantina from them, but they never got a shipment of them in the first place.  

they would want to get rid of everything, every single thing at insane prices.  gaming, toys, everything, the tragic thing is that practically everything lego will go down the drain.  They usually do pretty good discounts but who knows how much they will get rid of. 

I checked mine today, no signs of clearances to be had. I should’ve asked, but didn’t... Going back in a day or so to check again. They did have all the Infinity War sets, so hopefully that clearance comes soon. As bad as that sounds...I love going into that store, even just to window shop. But, if I can get those sets for cheaper, I’ll be somewhat happy.