Murdoch17

1920's Mad scientist lab, time machine, and vintage car - real world steampunk MOC's

This my version of the 2018 Marvel Comics 'infinity War" set 76108 (Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown) for a 1920's-flavored steampunk take on a mad scientist trying to open a time doorway into the beginning of the universe using a time machine modeled after set 76109. (Quantum Realm Explorers)

When the mad Scientist Dr. Floyd Hyde opened his doorway to the pre-big-bang time zone for the first time in 1914, he sent his wife Penny (wearing a makeshift gray pressure suit) into the open portal and waited for her quick return. Unfortunately, something happened and the portal itself destabilized and shut down as a safety precaution on it's own. Eleven years pass for the Scientist, who becomes obsessed with reuniting with his lost love, delving every dime and ounce of energy into creating the rescue craft and fixing the portal machine onto said flying time-craft. He finishes it in the middle of the year 1925.

An eternity passes for Penny, yet she does not age a day. She is taken in by the Brothers Three, whom she nicknames Alpha, Beta, and Omega. These strange alien beings are the sole inhabitants of the pre-big bang, being the sole survivors of a great war (they may have started it) and becoming almost omnipotent in the process of floating in the vast unending void of space. The Brothers Three ask only one thing of their kindness and helping keep her alive in the harsh environment: when rescue inevitably comes for Penny, let them come with her through the portal so they can help mankind achieve it's "destiny". Let her be their "herald", telling the governments of earth all about their amazing powers and how they can help serve man.

So, will Dr. Hyde get his wife back? Will Penny allow the Brothers to follow her through the portal? And just what is this destiny these three are talking about?

The choice is up to YOU!

47237717902_9bb3360cc6_z.jpg

L to R: Dr. Floyd Hyde, his wife Penny Hyde (in the gray pressure suit), and The Brothers Three (alien beings from before the big bang)

40325266703_cfe71aa353_z.jpg

The front of the building, with the conservatory to the rear. I replaced the center round window from the Sanctum Sanctorum with more regular windows to give the building a more average city building appearance instead of a superhero's one. The front of the building also features the year it was built: 1901.

47237717972_97c1821b85_z.jpg

The rear of the building has a ground-floor conservatory. The rearmost window on the bottom floor opens up 90 degrees to allow for figure placement in the conservatory.

As a side note, the original Marvel model's exploding walls and drop-floors have been removed. The means from getting from one floor to another is a spiral staircase, and a small skylight has been added to the roof.

47237718002_d048f80620_z.jpg

The inside feature's the following:

The lower floor has a fireplace with clock on mantle, table with chair, oven, and lamp on a side table.

The middle floor features a strange mask on a safe, curio cabinet and a bed, along with an ancient weapons display.

The upper floor features a desk with some sort of electricity storage machinery, several flasks, two bookcases, and microscope. The dark red thing in the greenish jar is a beating human heart.

40325266963_ea36f7d0e2_z.jpg

This model was inspired by @hachiroku's Indiana Jones Desert Chase car, but remade to have a different color scheme for use with my Adventurer's mad scientist character.

40325267003_4f56210459_z.jpg

The doors to the passenger compartment can also open, and there are taillights on the rear of the car. The vehicle can seat one figure in the drivers seat, and one figure (or a small cargo container) can be placed behind that.

40325267153_506afdab60_z.jpg

Here is Antman's vehicle from set 76109 (Quantum Realm Explorers) as a 1920's-period time machine, as seen above in steampunk form.

40325267533_82f3874d25_z.jpg

I fixed the rotating side engines, as these maddening objects are now (mostly) locked in the position shown but for the slight sideways (left / right) motion that I for the life of me can't seem to fix. Oh well, it just gets them closer to the main engine pod in the center, so no harm, no foul.

EDIT: 3/5/19: Added new real world pictures and deleted the rest of the ldd screenshots. This project is now done.

Edited by Murdoch17

I like this. But, I'd make it a modular type with removable levels as opposed to an opening building. But, that's just me.

Also, you should make the back wall of the top floor grey, sprinkling in Grey masonry bricks for texture. That would give it the old black & white Frankenstien lab feel. Maybe even go as far as to include Frankenstein's monster on the slab.

Edited by turk187
thought of more.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, turk187 said:

I like this. But, I'd make it a modular type with removable levels as opposed to an opening building. But, that's just me.

Also, you should make the back wall of the top floor grey, sprinkling in Grey masonry bricks for texture. That would give it the old black & white Frankenstien lab feel. Maybe even go as far as to include Frankenstein's monster on the slab.

Thanks for the advice @turk187, but I like the yellow as it give a splash of color to my rather drab-looking town. If you want to modify it, be my guest as I just uploaded the updated LDD file (with new furniture!) to the first post.

Enjoy!

Edited by Murdoch17

I think the back wall would still have plenty of yellow if you changed the top floor. But, it's your building.

I like the yellow, I like being able to lift off layers, but this will work as well if you have the space 

3 hours ago, kieran said:

I like the yellow, I like being able to lift off layers, but this will work as well if you have the space 

Thanks! I usually reserve lift-away levels for corner buildings like my saloon and Johnny Thunder office. (To be honest, I keep my town mostly boxed up: no room on the layout yet for it all!)

Nice expansion of the set. :thumbup:

I think that yellow is to bright, perhaps bright yellow or (dark) tan as alternative.

21 hours ago, sander1992 said:

Nice expansion of the set. :thumbup:

I think that yellow is to bright, perhaps bright yellow or (dark) tan as alternative.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, turk187 said:

On 3/13/2018 at 3:30 PM, kieran said:

Just messing around with different color options for the Mad Scientist building.

40786434052_47544901ae_z.jpg

Right now I'm considering medium blue and white as a possible choice.. does this look better @kieran @turk187 @sander1992? I can't do another dull building, as a bunch of my buildings are reddish brown or tan or dark bluish gray.

Edited by Murdoch17

A less brighter color. :thumbup:

Looks better to me, as a nice alternative (and more expensive one) is using Sand blue.

4 hours ago, sander1992 said:

A less brighter color. :thumbup:

Looks better to me, as a nice alternative (and more expensive one) is using Sand blue.

Sands blue is just too expensive for my taste, though I did look into sand green at one point.

Just finished adding a car and chimney flue to the revised building's file which is with the updated photos all in the first post!

Edited by Murdoch17

I like the blue better than the yellow. Looks more like a real building. I get what you mean about cost, sand blue bricks tend to be more expensive. I still think the back of the top floor should be grey brick for the real "mad scientist" lab feeling. But, do what makes YOU happy. Don't try and please all of us. 

Replacing the window from the original with a non-printed one is definitely the way to go as the printed one is very iconic and related to Dr Strange.

Is this going to be a stand-alone building, or stacked next to other modulars?  The chimney will make it set apart if you're planning on setting it with some others.

I'm looking at building 2 modulars from mine, one will be Dr Strange's house based on the 10218 Brownstone, and the other will be peters building based on the pet store with the pizza parlor on the ground floor. But I'm going to give the second building a different facade with the tan brick and fire escapes being the back of the building. Now, I just have to find the time to start building this. Need to scrap some of my half-finished buildings for parts.

16 minutes ago, turk187 said:

I like the blue better than the yellow. Looks more like a real building. I get what you mean about cost, sand blue bricks tend to be more expensive. I still think the back of the top floor should be grey brick for the real "mad scientist" lab feeling. But, do what makes YOU happy. Don't try and please all of us. 

Replacing the window from the original with a non-printed one is definitely the way to go as the printed one is very iconic and related to Dr Strange.

Is this going to be a stand-alone building, or stacked next to other modulars?  The chimney will make it set apart if you're planning on setting it with some others.

I'm looking at building 2 modulars from mine, one will be Dr Strange's house based on the 10218 Brownstone, and the other will be peters building based on the pet store with the pizza parlor on the ground floor. But I'm going to give the second building a different facade with the tan brick and fire escapes being the back of the building. Now, I just have to find the time to start building this. Need to scrap some of my half-finished buildings for parts.

Thank you for your kind words @turk187!

18675pb12.jpg

I am printing the window though, with the Star Wars print seen above.

39933604735_5079619095_z.jpg

Also, I just revisited the rear of the building and added a (opening!) conservatory to spice it up a bit. And to answer your question: all my buildings stand semi-close, with only a couple studs between them. (maybe 10 studs maximum due to driveways)

On 3/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, turk187 said:

The conservatory really adds to the Victorian steam-punky vibe of a good mad scientist lab. The window printing works, but these two https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18675pb09#T=S&C=13&O={"color":13,"iconly":0} or, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18675pb03#T=S&C=13&O={"color":13,"iconly":0} might be better.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll consider them in the future.

On 3/16/2018 at 3:11 PM, kieran said:

I still like the yellow 

On 3/16/2018 at 8:05 PM, Dr.Cogg said:

I like the blue and the conservatory. 

10 hours ago, sander1992 said:

:laugh:

There is a blue vs. yellow discussion going on. :laugh:

I just can't win no matter what I do... :wacko: I guess I will stick with blue, as to me it looks best.

slight Bump:

39335996520_cf71e2f56d_z.jpg

I have revised the color scheme to it's original medium nougat and put new pictures in the first post. I hope this satisfies the blue vs. yellow debaters  @kieran @turk187 @sander1992 @Dr.Cogg. That way, nobody gets what they want! :tongue:

Oh, and for those curious few, the giant robot's topic can be found in a separate thread here.

Edited by Murdoch17

If it's already bumped, does that mean I have a second chance to say that I liked that car? :wub: See it's the thing uniting the Blues and the Yellows since, you know, blue and yellow make green?

Speaking of bumping, I wonder if those pre-universe, er, things, just consider the scientist an old-post bumper? Ah well. If they had minded their manners, they could have knocked first when they came through that space door.

Keep it up!

MAC

Major Bump: 

43283194690_9b9b0cf878_z.jpg

I am back to work on the mad scientist's building (which is actually Sanctum Sanctorum Shownshown, set 76108), which now includes a upgraded version of set 76109 (Quantum Realm Explorers) turned into a time machine. To honor the truce between blue and yellow factions of how I should color this building, the green car stays where it is in the post! (Thanks to @iammac for the suggestion on that! :tongue: )

45688877422_0176764082_z.jpg

This time machine is mostly a slight MOD of set 76109, (Quantum Realm Explorers) with two of this part for the side windscreens (un-printed in LDD, of course). The quite eccentric doctor is at the controls of the machine at the moment, but seems to have lost his large top hat due to lack of room for it in the cockpit.

EDIT:  and I am a Duke now too! :classic:

Edited by Murdoch17

44843646105_3416423753_z.jpg

When the mad Scientist Dr. Floyd Parsons opened his doorway to the pre-big-bang time zone for the first time in 1914, he sent his wife Penny (wearing a makeshift gray pressure suit) into the portal  and waited for her quick return. Unfortunately, something happened and the portal itself destabilized and shut down as a safety precaution on it's own.

Eleven years pass for the Scientist, who becomes obsessed with reuniting with his lost love, delving every dime and ounce of energy into creating the rescue hover craft and fixing the portal machine onto said flying time-craft. He finishes it in the middle of the year 1925.

An eternity passes for Penny, yet she does not age a day. She is taken in by the Brothers Three, whom she nicknames Alpha, Beta, and Omega. These strange alien beings are the sole inhabitants of the pre-big bang, being the sole survivors of a great war (they may have started it) and becoming almost omnipotent in the process of floating in the vast unending void of space. 

The Brothers Three ask only one thing of their kindness and helping keep her alive in the harsh environment: when rescue inevitably comes for Penny, let them come with her through the portal so they can help mankind achieve it's "destiny". Let her be their "herald", telling the governments of earth all about their amazing powers and how they can help serve man.

So, will Dr. Parsons get his wife back? Will Penny allow the Brothers to follow her through the portal? And just what is this destiny these three are talking about?

TO BE CONTINUED?

slight BUMP:

46922719211_f76e28ee4c_z.jpg

I just added new pictures of the time machine (a steampunk Quantum Realm Explorers) to the first post. Parts *should* be ordered soon to build the models (besides the car, which has been already built for some time) in real life.

Edited by Murdoch17

This thread has a date with destiny, for the real-world building has begun!

46113458215_ae89e8b03b_z.jpg

"There are three normal dimensions in our everyday lives that we can interact with and one we can not: the fourth dimension of time. But what if we could? Would you want to go back and see things no mini-figure has seen before? The end of the dinosaurs? The beginning of time itself? The questions are endless, and I, Dr. Floyd Hyde, aim to solve them with my MK II Time Machine. My maiden voyage is tomorrow night, whereupon I am off to see who or what created our universe."

- October 30th, 1926 (photo by Pippin Reed for the Adventurer Times)

40085631543_69965f984a_z.jpg

This model is a Work In Progress, as it is missing three parts. Once these three parts are added, the model will be done. I've uploaded the inside and rear pictures, plus the time machine photos, though, so you can see the rest of the setup in the first post. (The car pictures will be uploaded in due time.)

Edited by Murdoch17