Paperinik77pk

MOC - Three axle passenger wagon for 12v / 4,5v trains (Umbauwagen 3yg)

Hi all, 

this evening I prepared a wagon which was in my mind for some time, but I've never built. @jtlan mentioned it in the "castering effect" thread, showing us his two very nice Umbauwagen 3YG, which are built with new parts.

Since these wagons are the perfect partners for DB BR78 locomotives, I tried to replicate it in gray era style. It is very simple and straight:

• the narrow part where the doors should be was not replicated
  • interiors are similar to the 7725
  • undercarriage is quite simple - since it must leave space to the passive steering system

I added a toilet, since it was a nice challenge. It does not have a door in the photos, so the toilet is visible. After some passengers complained, I closed the door. :laugh:

Steering system is very basic, and it leaves space for interiors (I just noted that the two red parts have "Pat Pend" markings - my 60s collection will be happy) :devil:.

The only part not used in the gray era is the 6x24 train base. It can be made of plates, but I have a lot of them - and this is a good use. I cannot use the green color, but I saw the Umbauwagen was also made in blue as a wagon-lit.

WP_20180307_22_29_54_RichWP_20180307_22_29_38_RichWP_20180307_22_31_17_RichWP_20180307_22_30_24_RichWP_20180307_22_34_26_RichWP_20180307_22_28_40_Rich

Here it is with my 12v BR78 and 7820 :sweet:. Hope you like it!

Ciao!

Davide

Really nice design and it totally fits the 12V era. I always wondered how people can make wonderful MOC trains with simple building techniques and such good match with the chosen train era, however I build and design a lot, I could never replicate they style of original LEGO sets.

Wonderful. As simple as that.

I believe this is what LEGO is about. Use bricks available and "Pimp the Eras". Grey, Blue ... you name it.

What a nice and truly LEGO build!

Best
Thorsten 

On 3/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Really nice design and it totally fits the 12V era. I always wondered how people can make wonderful MOC trains with simple building techniques and such good match with the chosen train era, however I build and design a lot, I could never replicate they style of original LEGO sets.

Thanks!

Well, it is all a matter of using the right parts and color combination. The only thing I can suggest for gray era is spending a lot of time reading Lego catalogues, instructions and the "bible" for 12v/4,5v, which is the 7777 Idea Book.

The parts are always the same - normal bricks and plates, wheels, 12v/4,5v motors, windows, doors, oldgray roof, light bricks - and some Technic and special parts (ladders, magnets, buffers, cylinders). 6-wide all the way. And stickers too!:sweet:

The bigger problem in gray era MOCs is they are pretty expensive (steam trains in particular), since made of vintage parts, in some cases really rare.:hmpf_bad:.

Yesterday I looked again at the Umbauwagen - I do not like the doors at all :angry: after all they are a distinctive detail of the real model - I have to find out a way to narrow the platform to 5 studs.

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Amazing solution! :wub:

I've never seen it before but I think is a very clever idea! :thumbup:

Nice shot!

Thanks!!!

Here it is in "reality" , normally these were seen in green, in some cases DB changed the paint scheme. These exist also in four axle/two-bogies version  (4yg).

umbauwagenrot

This evening I modified the wagon, making it a bit more detailed.

WP_20180309_21_37_15_Rich

Now doors are narrower than the rest of the body, and better resemble the original wagon.

WP_20180309_21_37_26_Rich

I made a custom base, keeping the total lenght of 24 studs, so it is longer than normal two axles and shorter than 4 axles 12V original wagons. It still is way shorter than it should be, but making it longer would have caused some proportions issues comparing to the other 12V rolling stock. I had to change a bit the steering link, but it works the same way and I did not made updated photos.:wink:

WP_20180309_21_38_26_Rich

Now I personally like it more than yesterday's version :laugh:

Looks fantastic! Very authentic vintage look. It looks so much better on the 4.5 track too, the PF track is offensive to my eyes. :laugh:

On 3/13/2018 at 4:32 AM, Jetflap said:

Looks fantastic! Very authentic vintage look. It looks so much better on the 4.5 track too, the PF track is offensive to my eyes. :laugh:

I absolutely have to remediate to your "eye-ache" :laugh::laugh::laugh: 

WP_20180311_21_47_16_Rich

Ahhh yes, it really does look better! There is something about the new gray with the old, they just don't go well together!.

Hi all! I reworked a bit the model of the Umbauwagen 3YG to make it more simple, so I can build a second one and maybe buy some parts on Bricklink for the third copy.

Since I was already working on the Y3G, I revived an old project of a 12v Diesel locomotive (far resembling the V100 in blue color) to create a local train :classic:.

You can see it sitting in the backround (behind the 7760) in the above pictures

V100 and 3 Umbauwagen

It is simple and straight like the 7755. It is probably one of the rare cases of a 12V motor used  without central wheel. Bricklink does not have a 12v motor in its library, so I replicated the dummy bogie. There are some parts of the 70s, used as doors. The two top headlichts have a 12v light brick behind them.

I think the third car could be always an Umbauwagen 3YG, but in its baggage car version. This would complete the set! :laugh:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

That's a great design and fits perfectly with the 12V era. Quite clever and simple actually.

And you are making me jealous with that 7750 converted BR78 which I could never afford as a kid.

7 minutes ago, Man with a hat said:

That's a great design and fits perfectly with the 12V era. Quite clever and simple actually.

And you are making me jealous with that 7750 converted BR78 which I could never afford as a kid.

Thanks!!! The 78 It's an old locomotive I made some years ago, which probably would now need some updates, since there are some details no more convincing me :laugh:.

It started from a spare 7730, then I designed it in 7777-ish style , adding the big wheels. The 7750 decal was only used to give her an ID number:wub:.

Ciao! Davide