Bart

[SR-Ship-LDD] DMDR 6

(believe it or not, but this is the first finished ship I am presenten on EB)

I present to you the DMDR 6, a small cutter rigged ship, used as a dispatch runner:

DMDR 6 (1.2)DMDR 6 (2.2)DMDR 6 (3)DMDR 6 (4)DMDR6 (5)

I used MSPaint to show some stays as that isn't really feasible in LDD. For pictures with (or without) you can check my Flickr (link in the signature), also some WIP pictures there, if you are curious about the hull shape. (Not a full hull but it continuous a bit below the water.

Principle dimensions:
LOA 58 studs
BOA 14 studs
Hull length 41 studs
Waterline 35 studs
Mast height above deck (not counting the spar for the gaff tops'l) 42 studs

If you have questions like, what is she doing here, where is she going, who owns her, what does  DMDR stand for. They will be answered when she docks :) 

All C & C most welcome. 

Bart

Great build ... I really like your solution for the companionway ... Also I think the sails look quite full of wind ... Its just ashame your having trans clear rendering issues as clear blue water would have showed off that lovely hull shape.

I've been following your progress in the shipwright's guild and I must say, you did a fantastic job! Great work on the sails, and I just like everything about it!

Wow - that's fantastic!  Really lovely hull shape, and the dynamic posing in those renders is very well done.  But the sails are my favorite - those really stand out and bring the whole thing up another notch!  :sweet:

Wow!  I love the dynamic posing of it, and the billowing sails well executed.

Thank you all

The sails are different shades of white.
Gaff tops'l and Jib are "white". Main, staysail and flying jib are "white glow"
The render makes white creme in this case :/ also the render had ALOT of thinking to do on those sails, the hull and water rendered in a quarter of the time it took to render the sails. 

The companionway idea came to me when I was looking over the build I'm doing of the Hydrograaf(the big steamer in the signature), where I used some similar technique for the skylights. Yes clear water would, but that would've required me to build a full hull, which I didn't intended, I wanted a waterline model. The 'easy' light blue was a move that I liked myself very much. 

I'm really happy with how the sails turned out. Especially the mainsail, as that was hard to do, because the boom and the gaff aren't in the same plane, so I had to twist while making the bellowing. I doubted about the studs, but I think they add to the effect. 

--------

I've got a question about licencing. 
As I'm a Sea Rat, does that mean this automatically becomes a Sea Rat ship? And I do have to license it as an SR.

Because the story I build this for, (I'll start an AMCRA with it) has this being a ship from Eslandola 
Although that might change to SR later in to it (depending how it develops)
or does it not matter, just license it as SR,

Bart

Edited by Bart
question add.

Lovely little cutter, Bart. I can only echo what others have said about posing, shape, and rig.

As to your question, you can only license it for an entity you control, as the cost will come out of the pockets of the owner, and we don't want Corlanders licensing Eslandian ships and setting them to attack Oleon to push them into war! :P

But maybe you don't need to license her? You only need to do that if you are using her in the mrca. If she is just a story element so far, you need not license her. You can then license her once the story makes her yours. Hope that helps.

PS. Read it again and you are using her for the AMRCA. For an AMRCA you will need some sort of ressource committed. It can be a vessel or troops.

4 hours ago, Bart said:

Thank you @Bregir 
Then I'll just license her as my own. 

Bart

If Im understanding correctly if you licence her as yours ... You can still claim the original story as part of your amrca but if you were to attack anyone it would show as you not ESL so the backlash falls on you to avoid the example @Bregir gave.  Im sure if im wrong I'll be quickly corrected but that was my interpretation of that

Lovely ship! As others have noted, the posing really makes the scene. I love the billowing sails and the water effects (even with the render issues). Lots of nice details. Well done! :thumbup:

No attacking to be done from my side (yet) :P but more from the other side towards a SR vessel, anyway that will be worked out later. And as I understood the Adventure is run by people, instead of an algorithm like the Trade, so it should be good.

As a clarification, the render issues on the water are not about this moc, that's another one, which is currently a bit side tracked :sadnew: because I really wanted to build a boat. 
This water is just made of light blue plates with white rounds at the bow, not really an issue for the render.

Thanks for all the positiveness about the sails. :pir-blush: 

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Lovely ship! As others have noted, the posing really makes the scene. I love the billowing sails and the water effects (even with the render issues). Lots of nice details. Well done! :thumbup:

Maybe you have seen it in the Shipwright thread, but I decided really early in the build on the posing. Which gave me some headages along the way, at one point I put it straight up to see if the rake of the mast was correct, as she is bow down a bit, so the mast looks vertical while it is raked backwards (braintwister while building)
I personally feel that I should do that extra step on the posing because I'm using LDD, as a trade for the unlimited supply of bricks in every colour. And the compleet lack of gravity, which made those sails possible. The hull and masts should be possible in real bricks though, might need some reinforcements here and there under the deck, and the rigging in actual string to keep the boom and gaff up. 

Bart

Wow, that's a proper cutter! I like all the stud techniques you used here, especially the bow, I may steal it someday, and the dynamic posture is really cool.:thumbup:

Thank you @Bodi
Stud technique at the bow? Do you mean the water? Or the snotted bow? 
Steal away! I can't say I'm not inspired by everything I've seen on EB/in bobs either.