Hoth Rebel

The Hulkbuster UCS MOD Topic

This topic is made for everybody who wants to modify their UCS Hulkbuster Ultron Edition (setnumber 76105). I will update the OP when new mods are posted in the topic. 
There are a few points people would like to see modded, which are (credit to @Scarilian):

On 4-3-2018 at 6:06 PM, Scarilian said:

The negative viewpoints stem mostly from the following;

• The inaccuracies regarding the colour scheme (A lot of silver/dark grey)
  • Lack of articulation (no knee, no forward/backward leg articulation, only forward/backwards elbow movement)
  • The shoulder pads which people feel could have been better handled
  • Exposed blue pins which easily could have been replaced with black to standout less and fit with the colour scheme more.
  • Exposed technic pieces including holes which could have been covered
  • Allocation of pieces/budget

yVKkR.jpgHot-Toys-Hulkbuster-Iron-Man-Scale-Size-LEGO-Marvel-Hulkbuster-Ultron-Edition-76
The Mark 43 suit is 6 feet 5 inches.The Hulkbuster is 11 feet exactly. As demonstrated via the official image (left) and the most accurate scaled Hot Toys version (middle), this means the legs are a minimum of  6 feet 5 inches tall, meaning the height of the body and head is no taller than 4 feet 5 inches (and that's including the dome of the head). If they were going for similar scaling in terms of proportions then the body should be shorter than what we got in Lego form. The head is also larger and more dome shaped in the Lego version - while it's more flatter and elongated for the official head, though that's somewhat excusable as it would have required Lego to create a new dome piece solely for this set.

Here are a few mods I've spotted recently:

MOD by NYESSbOss on Reddit

Spoiler

cRsX-W1QAhXYThUtvT1c2zJ4FuLyHqWbLPCoWPD9

Quick recap: Couple of extra pieces that were inserted inside, especially in his crotch, throughout the figure to give it a sturdier and heavier feel. Nothing noticeable beside that arm cannon. I'm on my way to fix his handicapped knees right now by replacing the 2 rods with 4 2x2 joints.

LXF: No

MOD by CX52J on Reddit

Spoiler

0k5z3eowv6k01.png

Quick recap: Keep in mind my one was a five minute attempt and plan on improving it later. (its only a shell so i don't know if it will work without modification to the arms yet) (It also looks better when angled).

LXF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/90edmbv3upxdurb/hulk%20buster%20shoulder.lxf?dl=0

Potential moving leg solution MOD by @Leewan

Spoiler

Frontside

40322166691_76580473ec_z.jpg

Backside

26450224788_b7c00274d1_z.jpg

LXF: No. 

MOD by Chezzymann on Reddit

Spoiler

_3baw6mH6ARadSSTWiwVkkSy5PFNna49sIQ_UDk8

MOD: Lowered the height by one stud. Got rid of the black cylinder piece on the inside and moved all the lower torso armor up one stud.

LXF: No. 

Mod by @Warbinator

Spoiler

Mod by @chubbybots2

If you have a modification you want to share, post it here so everyone can enjoy it. :classic:

Edited by Kevii23

Leewan posted this in regards to a potential moving leg solution;
40322166691_76580473ec_z.jpg
(back view)

Will be sure to use this thread more when my set arrives and i can actually mod it

Edited by Scarilian

Has anyone tried switching out the head on the UCS Hulkbuster with one of the smaller Hulkbuster heads ?

I'm not planning to get this myself (not in the budget), but wouldn't the easiest solution to the question of moving the legs forwards and backwards be something similar to the technique used in the legs of the Garma Mecha Man from the Ninjago Movie? Except reversed so that the hinge is on the waist, not the leg?

Gonna be keeping an eye on this thread, just built my set and I still think it looks great as-is but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

I didn`t order the Hulkbuster (went for the Sanctum Sanctorum set instead)..because of the annoying exposed blue pins and lack of articulation ...but I`ve come across the sticker sheet for "Rey`s Speeder" Star Wars set . It has solid stickers (not the transparent type ) in the right color that could be trimmed and "Frankensteined" to cover those annoying blue technic pins, so that has now got me questioning  whether I should have gone for the Mk 44 instead. 

Regards

Kenny

CX52J updated his shoulder build with an LXF file so I added that and all the other contributions to the OP. 

Here you can see the shoulder mod:

0k5z3eowv6k01.png

Here are my modifications. First, I made some modifications to the chest, torso, thighs and rear of the model. You can see those pictures here.

I then modified the shoulders and upper arms, which you can see here. This was inspired by CX52J's initial design, although I went in a bit of a different direction.

Here's a shot of where I'm at now. I need to order some 1x2 technic bricks in dark red in order to replace the blue pins with black ones, and I need a few extra parts to complete the pauldrons. 

KvkU34I-3.jpg.acd9a611dc3ba5089634871b87c88c7c.jpg

19 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

Has anyone tried switching out the head on the UCS Hulkbuster with one of the smaller Hulkbuster heads ?

I tried that last night, although I didn't take any pictures of it. The head that is 4 studs wide is way too small. The one that is included is six studs wide and is only a little bit too big. I think that a head that was 5 studs wide would be great, but unfortunately this doesn't actually exist.

3 hours ago, chubbybots2 said:

Ah just finished mine ^^ 

40717864621_5be817ace3_b.jpghb completed by Kelvin Low, on Flickr

Did you increase the length of legs? They still look a little bit short. But I would love to know how to add leg and knee articulations!

Has anyone figured out an easy leg movement solution? I just finished my Hulkbuster and it’s an incredible build, but the legs not moving forwards or backwards is really annoying me. 

Would be nice if someone could make a LXF file with all the modifications (parts) needed for the build. I would do it myself but I have limited time.. 

Chubbybot2's solution with the wider legs works great with additional posability - though would need some work if we are going for accuracy. Bodies are divided generally into varying stereotypical types; Triangle Shape, Inverted Triangle, Rectangle and Hourglass. By modifying the hips it has made the hips much wider than the Hulkbuster body, giving the Hulkbuster an Hourglass figure. If you want to improve accuracy your best option is to enlarge the body to make the hips and lower torso more seamless, this also gives you a bigger interior and would in theory make the Hulkbuster head seem less overtly large and give even more options for building the shoulder pads and detailing. In general the legs and hips can be worked into the build, though currently it gives the impression of an even longer body. Still an awesome modification, drawing inspiration from his solution for the Lego Ninjago Fire Mech i believe - but I'm more accuracy focused :P

Edited by Scarilian

I've completed my mods to the shoulders, torso and legs. You can view the pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/JcXR9

Every change was designed to make it more screen accurate. The changes are mostly cosmetic, not structural. I did not add articulation or change the internal structure of anything. 

I modified the upper arms to add a new connection point for the shoulder pauldrons. I built the pauldrons to be a lot more screen accurate and to remove the need for the blue pins. The pauldrons lift up in order to make room to raise the arms all the way horizontal.

I modified the upper legs to be a little bit thicker and to add the greebles on the outside of the legs in place of the grey curved plate. Additionally, the reference photos show a smooth inner thigh, so I replaced the inner thigh pieces with a small car hood piece.

The most extensive modifications are to the torso. I moved the hips to the lower part of the torso that connects to the legs, and made them slimmer. I added an extra "robot arm" to the belly to be more screen accurate. I flattened out the concave portion of the chest and added a circular arc reactor to be more screen accurate. I used an extra glow-in-the-dark piece as the arc reactor, but I used a technic plate so that the light brick can still illuminate it. I made small modifications to the lower back and sides to fill in gaps in those areas. I modified the thrusters on the back to place them slightly further apart.

You can view breakdowns of all of the mods here.

https://imgur.com/a/xNngm

https://imgur.com/a/34xWH

https://imgur.com/a/gPqXR

https://imgur.com/a/BvYhh

15 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

Our lord and saviour @chubbybots2 has posted a video on Youtube with his modifications (and 'instructions'):

Haha not really instructions per se ^^ just a guide. I reused the mod i used on the ninjago fire mech legs

9 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Chubbybot2's solution with the wider legs works great with additional posability - though would need some work if we are going for accuracy. Bodies are divided generally into varying stereotypical types; Triangle Shape, Inverted Triangle, Rectangle and Hourglass. By modifying the hips it has made the hips much wider than the Hulkbuster body, giving the Hulkbuster an Hourglass figure. If you want to improve accuracy your best option is to enlarge the body to make the hips and lower torso more seamless, this also gives you a bigger interior and would in theory make the Hulkbuster head seem less overtly large and give even more options for building the shoulder pads and detailing. In general the legs and hips can be worked into the build, though currently it gives the impression of an even longer body. Still an awesome modification, drawing inspiration from his solution for the Lego Ninjago Fire Mech i believe - but I'm more accuracy focused :P

When i did the mod my intention was to go for minimal changes to the torso so that those attempting it at home can just mod the legs. in fact i did little to no changes to the arms and feet.  And you are right that mod is a refinement from the Ninjago Fire Mech haha. At least they could have port over the hips of the ninjago firemech :D 

11 hours ago, chubbybots2 said:

wow wee thanks!!! Very surprised i thought they are more of a news site :D

For the most part, yes, but he will share MOCs there on occasion, sometimes in the advent of a holiday or a tentpole film's release (usually MCU movies for the most part).

P.S. The site's author is here on Eurobricks, under the username @tormentalous:wink:

Hey @chubbybots2,like @Digger of Bricks stated, I usually do mostly news but there are some things that catches my eye, like your mod, that I had to do a post on because I know it will help others as well. I'll definitely try it out when I decide to build mines but great job on it. There's been a ton of great feedback on it.

9 hours ago, tormentalous said:

Hey @chubbybots2,like @Digger of Bricks stated, I usually do mostly news but there are some things that catches my eye, like your mod, that I had to do a post on because I know it will help others as well. I'll definitely try it out when I decide to build mines but great job on it. There's been a ton of great feedback on it.

Thank you very much!!

I put together a parts list for my mods and posted it on reddit. It comes in at about 150 additional pieces needed to make these changes.