Sign in to follow this  
SpaceJoey86

Investing - A carrot farm

Jonah had done well on his last trading run, so before he set off on another he invested in some real estate. The previous owner had a terrible harvest, but Jonah was convinced the gods would favour him over a heretic.

39718681495_121ba227c8_z.jpgDSCN8389

26742363898_85b068f6d7_z.jpgDSCN8395

38804171910_594ff203da_z.jpgDSCN8398

Looks horrible from the other sides but if you really want them...

Please tell me what you think.

Without knowing what bricks you have available, I normally worry about critiquing.  It can easily devolve into ‘buy bricks’ which is never helpful.  But here goes anyway.

i) I like the fact you made the effort to break up the wall with textured bricks.  It shows you’ve learned a technique.

ii) The carrot rows are bang on and a good representation.

Potential improvement for next time:

iii) Everything is aligned squarely - this is a “trap” I fall into to.  For rural/natural settings, if you can build parts of out of alignment, they look more convincing.  In this case, if you had built the house on a plate floor, then set it down on top of your ground at a slight angle (using 2x1 jumper plates for example), the scene would look more natural.  This would  likely mean your ground would be 2 plates thick. 

iv) If you have the bricks, try and experiment with a non-rectangular ground base.  If gives things a more organic look.  Prof Thaum’s recent grog shop is a great example for this.

v) The roof was the low point for me.  Once again, I don’t know what you have on hand, but I would have gone with a different colour: black or red (ceramic tile).  Ideally you’d want it textured, if you can.  A great rule of thumb is natural surface is stud showing while manufactured surface is tiled or textured.

vi) Last thing: why no windows?

I still like the moc.  It’s a cute little carrot farm.  And I hope I don’t come across too critical; I’m just passing the same advice I got when I started.

Edited by Kwatchi
Damn autocorrect

A quite simple build, but not bad. I think Kwatchi has made all relevant points. :thumbup:

19 hours ago, Drunknok said:

A quite simple build, but not bad. I think Kwatchi has made all relevant points. :thumbup:

Thanks.

22 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Without knowing what bricks you have available, I normally worry about critiquing.  It can easily devolve into ‘buy bricks’ which is never helpful.  But here goes anyway.

i) I like the fact you made the effort to break up the wall with textured bricks.  It shows you’ve learned a technique.

ii) The carrot rows are bang on and a good representation.

Potential improvement for next time:

iii) Everything is aligned squarely - this is a “trap” I fall into to.  For rural/natural settings, if you can build parts of out of alignment, they look more convincing.  In this case, if you had built the house on a plate floor, then set it down on top of your ground at a slight angle (using 2x1 jumper plates for example), the scene would look more natural.  This would  likely mean your ground would be 2 plates thick. 

iv) If you have the bricks, try and experiment with a non-rectangular ground base.  If gives things a more organic look.  Prof Thaum’s recent grog shop is a great example for this.

v) The roof was the low point for me.  Once again, I don’t know what you have on hand, but I would have gone with a different colour: black or red (ceramic tile).  Ideally you’d want it textured, if you can.  A great rule of thumb is natural surface is stud showing while manufactured surface is tiled or textured.

vi) Last thing: why no windows?

I still like the moc.  It’s a cute little carrot farm.  And I hope I don’t come across too critical; I’m just passing the same advice I got when I started.

Don't worry about critiquing, if no one said anything I would never improve much.

1) wow techniques...

2)Great.

3) I did a slightly less aligned build previously (not much) and it was hard to do with my bricks BUT i will try again with jumper plates in the future.

4) This is what i meant in 3.

5) I would have liked to do a shade of red (not the normal one) but lacked the parts. I liked the roof personally.

Maybe some detailing like this would improve it?

6) What windows would you/anyone else recommend. I couldn't find any that were 'right'

Critical is good. Thanks for being so honest and helpful.

I think it portrayed the farm well.  I am glad you chose to keep the carrots underground as that is something that has bothered me with other carrot builds ... 

I do agree an irregular base and the building slightly askew would do wonders.