xxix5

Simpsons sets that NEED to be made

1 hour ago, snoozle said:

I would give my right arm for LEGO Futurama minifigs. Or perhaps rather my left arm.:sweet:

With sculpted heads like the Simpsons. Yes please. S.up and take my money!! :grin:

Too bad Mega Construx has already gotten Futurama.

Yeah, hopefully their license isn't long-lasting. As hopefully that makes LEGO versions possible of the Futurama characters. As far as I know Mega Construx has just made 2 figures. 

Back to the Simpsons - I didn't even realise that they didn't make Moe or Barney, and I've been collecting them all. But now that I realise that...

I think Homer's green car would be cool to see in LEGO :-)

On 6/25/2018 at 10:05 AM, Lucarex said:

Extremely unlikely given the high cost of making individual moulded heads. That Lego actually produced a second CMF series was a surprise, and let's be honest it didn't sell very well.

Sorry but I think the theme is done, over etc.

LEGO does now have a Brickheadz set of Homer Simpson and Krusty the Clown, so the theme persists, at least in that minute degree.

Whether they’ll ever do anything else beyond this last set, I really don’t know; it doesn’t seem particularly likely to me that they’d return to minifigure-based sets, but if nothing else, it is still an active license, for the moment.

On 6/26/2018 at 5:09 AM, MAB said:

I think they look better as molded heads rather than regular. The noses and ears on regular heads don't look right to me, but look fine on the molded ones.

If they are going to go down the route of doing it as cheaply as possible, it is probably best they don't do it at all. It wouldn't fit in with previous Simpsons sets, so it would possibly alienate people that bought in first time around and they would still need to mold specific hair pieces anyway.

I agree. I also don’t see LEGO going from special molds to standard minifigure heads. They’ve gone the opposite direction on various occasions - with Squidward in the SpongeBob Squarepants theme, for example, and with Tusken Raiders in Star Wars - but AFAIK, they’ve never done the reverse. I don’t really see them doing it when they already have so many special molds at hand.

47 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

LEGO does now have a Brickheadz set of Homer Simpson and Krusty the Clown, so the theme persists, at least in that minute degree.

Whether they’ll ever do anything else beyond this last set, I really don’t know; it doesn’t seem particularly likely to me that they’d return to minifigure-based sets, but if nothing else, it is still an active license, for the moment.

I agree. I also don’t see LEGO going from special molds to standard minifigure heads. They’ve gone the opposite direction on various occasions - with Squidward in the SpongeBob Squarepants theme, for example, and with Tusken Raiders in Star Wars - but AFAIK, they’ve never done the reverse. I don’t really see them doing it when they already have so many special molds at hand.

Buzz Lightyear originally had a new-mold head in 2010, but later switched to a standard head in the Disney CMF in 2016. So that’s an exception.

3 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Buzz Lightyear originally had a new-mold head in 2010, but later switched to a standard head in the Disney CMF in 2016. So that’s an exception.

That’s true! I stand corrected - but that was also a unique case, in that the Disney Minifigures were clearly adhering to a design logic different from how other cartoon-based minifigures have been handled in the past (i.e., all human characters, or characters with distinctly human faces in-universe, are depicted with standard minifigure heads even if their cartoon stylings were significantly different from most realistic human proportions à la Captain Hook, while specially molded heads are reserved for characters with distinctly nonhuman features such as Mickey & Minnie, Donald & Daisy, Stitch, etc.), regardless of whether or not those characters had previously been portrayed as minifigures with special heads that accurately reflected their cartoon stylization. In-universe, Buzz Lightyear is a stylized action figure, but still one essentially depicting a human being in a spacesuit. As such, he gets a human head, and that meant a standard LEGO minifigure head.

I don’t know for certain why they went with this particular approach to the Disney line when they’ve handled other licensed animated characters differently, but I think it may have simply been a way to apply a consistent design aesthetic rule to a disparate group of characters from different franchises that have a variety of different design sensibilities. Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin (for example) both depict human or near-human characters pretty differently.

This would almost certainly never be an issue with a Minifigures line based entirely upon a single franchise, such as The Simpsons. I think it likely came up in the Disney series only because that series isn’t really just a single franchise, but nine different franchises - Mickey & Friends, Alice in Wonderland, Peter PanSleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Toy Story, Lilo & Stitch, and The Incredibles.