xxix5

When Should City be Cancelled?

8 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I always just thougt City referred to the scale basically, meaning that City sets kind of fit together with each other making for a better play experience. So I would think City would never end, of course I am probably totally off base and it is only my perception that no one else shares with me. 

I see City , Creator 3-in-1 and Friends mostly as the same scale, and even somewhat connected.

City only really had 1 family house set in 2010.

Creator used to make those large houses, then eventually added minifigs in 2011, 2011 also saw a 3-in-1 Lighthouse and Log Cabin which were the first different style of minifig buildings sets.

Then Friends appeared in 2012 with many buildings/shops that are certainly mostly compatible with minifigs still, minifigs are wider then dolls so sometimes there's some width issues.

I still see those 3 themes at a very similar scale to eachother.

3-in-1 vehicles can be a bit oversized ,  but most sets that included minifigs aren't that crazy scaled. 

Edited by TeriXeri

@TeriXeri The houses from 3in1 are definately connected to City. Heartlake City is basically Lego City from a girl's perspective because in reality, city life for girls means things like shopping, hanging out, entertainment and things like that. To boys, city life is about danger and adrenaline. Creator is from the point of view of adults, thus why everything seems normal. I think that's why Lego does what they do with these three. I think City, Creator and Friends are tied for first place when it comes to the most popular Lego themes. That's just pure speculation. You'll have to research that for yourself. 

On 6/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, The Brick Boss said:

I am a die hard City fan and I have to agree with xxix5 on this. Classic Police is the only police theme I buy sets from because I think that should be the only police themefor City. But I'm adding something else. Not only do I think too much emphasis is on police, but also on subthemes that have absolutely nothing to do with City life. (I.e. the explorers themes). Those subthemes should be cut from City and put under another theme. 

Now here are some subthemes I think City should replace the explorers and extra police themes with. 

1. Metro Transit - City should emphasize the bus system more. A metro Transit subtheme would do well since children love buses just as much as police cars and fire trucks. 

2. Paramedics - City has fire sets, police says and coast guard sets. Why not some paramedic sets to compliment those? Heck! You may even see a hospital. 

3. Roadside Assistance - Kids love tow trucks obviously considering that a lot of those are being made too. 

4. Octan Cup - F1 racing should definitely make a comeback in the City theme. I'd be all for that. 

5. Downtown - Then you have this theme which will cover the building aspect of City. This subtheme could include offices, dealerships, restaurants, etc. 

6. Neighborhood - I think City needs more houses. Lack of housing = more criminals. 

I like the ideas. But some of the themes have technically already been made because we had sets related to these themes in the past. Examples include:

2015: 60097 (Metro Transit, Downtown)

2011: 3661 (Downtown)

2010: 7848 (Downtown), 8404 (Metro Transit, Roadside Assistance, Downtown), 8403 (Neighborhood) 

2009: 7641 (Metro Transit, Downtown)
1999: 3438 (Downtown), 1254 (Downtown)

Many of these sets are downtown sets. This means that they are dealerships, offices, restaraunts, stores, etc.

Metro transit means that the sets have buses or trains, or both. 
You can see the rest of the meanings in the posts above.

WE NEED MORE CITY RESTAURANTS AND SHOPS!

Edited by Quandale Dingle
I needed to add stuff.

2 minutes ago, Quandale Dingle said:

I like the ideas. But some of the themes have technically already been made because we had sets related to these themes in the past. Examples include:

2015: 60097 (Metro Transit, Downtown)

2011: 3661 (Downtown)

2010: 7848 (Downtown), 8404 (Metro Transit, Roadside Assistance, Downtown), 8403 (Neighborhood) 

2009: 7641 (Metro Transit, Downtown)
1999: 3438 (Downtown), 1254 (Downtown)

Many of these sets are downtown sets. This means that they are dealerships, offices, restaraunts, stores, etc.

Metro transit means that the sets have buses or trains, or both. 
You can see the rest of the meanings in the posts above.

WE NEED MORE CITY RESTAURANTS AND SHOPS!

BRO!!!!! That comment was made almost 4 years ago back when the oversaturation of police and explorers based sets was rediculous. Matter of fact, this thread has kinda been dead since 2020. :laugh:

But since we're on the topic, City has evolved since then. I don't even think subthemes even exists in the theme no more and are just released in random drops. The subthemes themselves however were never there. They were just sets released under the town and Great Vehicles subtheme where other lines of work were showcased. Nowadays, City is doing more and more civilian based sets or sets based around lines of work that don't have anything to do with the fire department or the police force. Though this year's custom car garage kinda disappointed me. 

Just now, The Brick Boss said:

BRO!!!!! That comment was made almost 4 years ago back when the oversaturation of police and explorers based sets was rediculous. Matter of fact, this thread has kinda been dead since 2020. :laugh:

But since we're on the topic, City has evolved since then. I don't even think subthemes even exists in the theme no more and are just released in random drops. The subthemes themselves however were never there. They were just sets released under the town and Great Vehicles subtheme where other lines of work were showcased. Nowadays, City is doing more and more civilian based sets or sets based around lines of work that don't have anything to do with the fire department or the police force. Though this year's custom car garage kinda disappointed me. 

Why did it dissapoint you?

14 minutes ago, Quandale Dingle said:

Why did it dissapoint you?

I guess because I thought it was going to be a building like the one in 60258. But, it turned out to just be the inside of a building. 

Just now, The Brick Boss said:

I guess because I thought it was going to be a building like the one in 60258. But, it turned out to just be the inside of a building. 

Or 7639. I want that set one day.

On 2/27/2018 at 4:47 PM, deraven said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them go from World City -> City -> Future City or something like that.  Switch it up with some near-future stuff with the theme as a whole...

Yes times one million. I have zero interest in most city sets, but make them Sci-Fi City sets and now I'm all in.

(I realize it's an old comment, but it's still a great suggestion.)

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

15 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

Yes times one million. I have zero interest in most city sets, but make them Sci-Fi City sets and now I'm all in.

(I realize it's an old comment, but it's still a great suggestion.)

Could be interesting to see a "Cyber City" subtheme, after Stuntz ends or something.

I mean, 60358: Cyber Stunt Bike and 60383: Electric Sports Car already have this great color scheme of neon yellow, medium azure and black.

In the meantime, there's at least 11027: Creative Neon Fun to make some custom builds in those colors.

Edited by TeriXeri