Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I purchased the plans for this beauty a while ago. I intend to begin purchasing the parts by the end of this year. However, I have no experience with Lego power functions. The instructions show the placement of the 6 XL motors and 2 Linear Actuators. These parts are on the Rebrickable parts list. On page 1 of this thread CaveGod provided this list of Power Function elements needed for the build.

6 XL motors (On parts list)

1 SM motor

3 x receivers

10 led light cables

3 short extentions

6 long extentions

3 battery boxes

 

Can anyone please tell me the part numbers to order these items via Bricklink?

Where do the receivers and the battery boxes go?

Is a remote control unit required? (Part number ?)

How is everything connected?

Can someone provide a link to a video or website where I may learn how to properly use power functions?

 

Sorry for my ignorance in this matter. Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RockPig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rockpig said:

6 XL motors (On parts list)

1 SM motor

3 x receivers

10 led light cables

3 short extentions

6 long extentions

3 battery boxes

4 of the XL motors drive the tracks. If you look at the instructions, you'll see that there's a hole in each assembly in the middle - that's where the XL motor goes. The motor is also used as a support of the 'side insert' of the tracks.

Having said that, my opinion is that motorising the tracks is a gimmick. I have half built the model and found that due to the weight of it, it's next to impossible to turn with it on any surface that provides any form of traction. While it would work on the wooden floor (as the plastic threads simply slip) it would struggle on a carpet.

2 of the XL motors are for the front loading door.

Not quite sure what the SM motor is for.

I assume you need 3 battery boxes to power:

  • 4 XL motors for tracks
  • 2 XL motors for doo
  • lights

The extension cables are needed due to the sheer size of the model.

You need one receiver to drive the L/R side tracks. Another one to control the loading door. The third one is for the lights.

Part numbers:

  • XL motor - 8882
  • IR receiver - 8884
  • LED lights - 8870
  • Extension cable short - 8886
  • Extension cable long - 8871
  • Battery box - either 88000 or 8881 (I'd go with the latter as it's using AA batteries, while the former is AAA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Zmarkella,

Thanks for the quick reply and the part numbers. Very helpful. I do see on the instructions where the XL motors go. But where are the receivers and the battery boxes installed in the build? I'm assuming they go behind the cargo bay, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks,

RockPig

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the receivers are installed on top behind the cockpit, if you look at pictures you will see the grill tiles and they are behind there, the battery boxes go in the middle beneath the removable roof panel. The small motor is to power the conveyors in side and is fitted to the front right side behind the angled outer panel. Not sure why the motors where n0t put in the instructions but apparently brickvault are updating the instructions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks cavegod.

I would also need to purchase a remote control unit. Correct?

Thanks,

RockPig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cavegod said:

the receivers are installed on top behind the cockpit, if you look at pictures you will see the grill tiles and they are behind there, the battery boxes go in the middle beneath the removable roof panel. The small motor is to power the conveyors in side and is fitted to the front right side behind the angled outer panel. Not sure why the motors where n0t put in the instructions but apparently brickvault are updating the instructions.

Brickvault are updating the instructions. Does that mean I have to repurchase the instructions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rockpig said:

Brickvault are updating the instructions. Does that mean I have to repurchase the instructions?

You don't have to. BV always sends the updated instructions to the people who bought the old ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 6:18 PM, muhkuh said:

Wondering when the update will come... heard this 6 month ago...:/

It is an immense amount of work to create instructions on this scale. My biggest MOC that I've created instructions for is 2.5k bricks (so 20% of this beast) and after months of tinkering it's sort of finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone post here all the codes for small tiles like e.g. 1x2 in Cockpit that have graphics on them, I have the SandCrawler instructions but it only tells me the codes for a single colour tiles but how do you find the ones with graphics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if you are looking through bricklink you can type in the lot# you are looking for and add “pb” for printed brick, it should bring up something that you are looking for. Ex. 85984pb will bring up this which is actually 85984pb100. 85984pb100.png

The great thing about MOCs are that you don’t have to follow the instructions 100%... the cockpit is a great place to start making the model your own. Hopefully this helps get you started at least, it just takes a little bit of searching on the site and you’ll find the parts that appeal to you for your cockpit design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redbird, thanks for posting that information.  I didn't know about adding "pb" to a lot number to see the printed versions and I've only been using Bricklink for 10 years now.  :sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my progress so far. This is looking fantastic. Thanks Cavegod and Cjd223! 

DSC_0262 (2).JPG

Edited by Gandalf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After I finish my current project. I plan on starting this. I'm not going to put motors in the tracks. It doesn't seem practical!

But, I have never use PF before and would like to put the motors on the ramp. Can someone help me out and let me know what I would need for that. A battery box, motor, wires, 2 linear actuators?

Thanks, Jamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jamie75 said:

But, I have never use PF before and would like to put the motors on the ramp. Can someone help me out and let me know what I would need for that. A battery box, motor, wires, 2 linear actuators?

Thanks, Jamie

Hi Jamie, you need:

2 - XL motors (8882)

1 - IR receiver (8884)

1 - remote control (8885)

1 - battery box (8881 / 88000)

extension cables (8886 short / 8871 long) as much as you need.

greetings Steffen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 6:17 AM, bricksmarlin said:

Hi Jamie, you need:

2 - XL motors (8882)

1 - IR receiver (8884)

1 - remote control (8885)

1 - battery box (8881 / 88000)

extension cables (8886 short / 8871 long) as much as you need.

greetings Steffen

Thanks for the reply! Would I still need the 2 linear actuators? 

Thanks again, Jamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamie75 said:

Thanks for the reply! Would I still need the 2 linear actuators

Thanks again, Jamie

Yep, you need 2 linear actuators!
My fault!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

Yep, you need 2 linear actuators!
My fault!

No worries! Thanks for the help.

After looking at the instructions, I think I may add motors to interior belts too. Probably need another battery box and motor for those? This may cost more than Brickvault's UCS Ghost?!

Thanks for the help, Jamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jamie75 said:

No worries! Thanks for the help.

After looking at the instructions, I think I may add motors to interior belts too. Probably need another battery box and motor for those? This may cost more than Brickvault's UCS Ghost?!

Thanks for the help, Jamie

The instructions already contain the motor placement for the interior belts.

M-motor will do and you can run it off the same battery box as the ramp. (That's what I did anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.