Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

21 minutes ago, mars423 said:

To motorized the four wheels, is anyone consider to use 1 technic hub 88012 and 4 technic XL motor 88014, to replace 4 XL motor 58121c01 plus two battery boxes and two receivers. 

88014 is just two studs longer than 58121c01.

I think the hub can be fit in low inspection hatch, then some extention cables also can be saved. But interior in the low hatch has to be sacrificed.

The hub can be configured on the app Buwizz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwR3cLRQFsE

I just got the motors, but I am on a long work trip, can not test them. By the meantime collectiong parts from the V1 part list and eager waiting for the V2 to be relaesed.

I thought about switching on the "new" system for V2, but there are some issues about: first of all and most important, the new XL motors (88014) provide less torque compared to the old ones. Second, there are currently no extension wires for the new system so we would have to mix old and new system. 

We had some very good experience with sbrick and we try to add one of these to control all the functions. 

Edited by TheBob

21 minutes ago, bricksmarlin said:

Hi mars423,

it's part number 88704 connected with part number 4070.

Many thanks.

After a very black summer I am glad to say Mika is doing a little better - still the future is uncertain. Anyway: time to dig up this thread again and continue with the upgrade of the driving units.

Lack of torque of the XL motors appeared during endless testing not the problem. On trying to stall these, the gearing desintegrated allways in earlier stage. We improved that, although we didn't succeed in getting that much strengthening to get the motorization stalled without cracking the gearing. But now it delivers a lot more power to the tracks. And  it opened the way to exchange a single XL motor for two L-motors. The two L deliver about the same torque as a single XL, by delivering about twice the speed. Furthermore, as torque is not the weakest point, it offered the possibility to gear up the powertrain to gain even more speed. It makes the vehicle still no runner, but it does not crawl in snail's pace anymore as it did before. See screendumps, while photographing would necessitate to take the units apart - kind of counterproductive as finishing the build is our goal.

51657914369_ec903787f2_b.jpgSchermopname (179) by brickginger, on Flickr

51656431577_6d11fbed5f_b.jpgSchermopname (180) by brickginger, on Flickr

10 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

Hi @Onecrazy95civic,

I used part number #43121c03 (Engine, Large with Dark Bluish Center).

Thanks for the info! One more question...ok maybe a few more...lol...your interior is that your design, any instructions or part list? Such as how many DBG Tile, Modified 2 x 2 Inverted item #11203 did you need? Really like your celling that you did.

Erick

Edited by Onecrazy95civic

On 10/30/2021 at 10:03 AM, LDigital said:

I’m really confused. What is all out brick preparing? I thought it was officialI. Is that a repackaged and revised v1? 

but the brick collective is exclusive v2?

At least I'm not the only confused one here 😅

For those that don't know, I created All-Out Brick alongside the remaster of the Cavegod AT-AT in Oct. 2020

I've been working on the Sandcrawler remaster for about 8 months now (alongside a few other projects). As far as I was aware that was supposed to be the official remaster, with A TON of added features, corrections, and bonuses included in the remaster. Did not know that TBC was working on this as well. I guess we all have some catching up to do and figuring out who has the official remaster and who is going to get left out of this one. Would really stink to lose the work that's already been put into the Sandcrawler remaster, it was going to be something truly special

I’m now confused. Cavegod created the original version. Now we have two other “companies” saying they are doing V2 of Cavegod’s work. Which version is the official version supported by Cavegod? 

1 hour ago, Cjd223 said:

For those that don't know, I created All-Out Brick alongside the remaster of the Cavegod AT-AT in Oct. 2020

I've been working on the Sandcrawler remaster for about 8 months now (alongside a few other projects). As far as I was aware that was supposed to be the official remaster, with A TON of added features, corrections, and bonuses included in the remaster. Did not know that TBC was working on this as well. I guess we all have some catching up to do and figuring out who has the official remaster and who is going to get left out of this one. Would really stink to lose the work that's already been put into the Sandcrawler remaster, it was going to be something truly special

I just want one!!! Almost done with the collecting the pieces for the V1 and now am waiting for the V2 item list to start collecting again... If you have an item list for the V2 mind sharing...lol

1 hour ago, Cjd223 said:

Yeah, I've been confused by this recent discussion too. @Cjd223, glad to hear that your remastered version is coming along, I'm looking forward to it. I think I've acquired all of the parts for the original version, with some substitutions as well as extra things like minifigs I wanted. I own a Bricklink store so that helps for sourcing parts for large MOCs like this. I actually even purchased 3 of the 2005 Sandcrawlers (10144), because I wanted some of the reddish brown panels plus some other parts, and parted out the remainder of the sets into my store. I still haven't built the MOC yet, just haven't found the time, and at this point I might as well wait for the remastered instructions.

I for one would prefer to support the @Cjd223 version of the remaster, and I don't have a problem paying again even though I already purchased the first version, because I understand how much of an enormous undertaking this is. Everyone that keeps asking if the V2 instructions will be free if they previously purchased the V1 instructions, really do not have a full understanding of how many hours of work go into a project like this. On that note, it is a little disappointing to see that someone else might be working on a remaster of this without proper communication between all parties. Not only is it not fair to All-Out Brick (and maybe Brick Vault too?), it is also very confusing to people that might want to purchase this, and a waste of somebody's time and effort if two versions of a remaster are being worked on simultaneously. I don't think I will support the other remaster if All-Out Brick is getting cut out of the deal, I'll just make the best of it with what I have.

Two things that would be really helpful to me for a remastered version of this: 

1) a better, more thorough explanation of how to do the electronics wiring. I do not have a lot of experience with LEGO motors or lighting, so incorporating this into the instruction steps, or perhaps photographs, would be very helpful. I think I've purchased all the electronic components that I need, based on previous discussions in this thread, but it was pretty difficult to figure out, so adding a parts list for motors/lighting would be helpful. These discontinued parts are getting more and more expensive, not to mention could degrade in some cases, so I wonder if anyone has considered upgrading to the current "Powered Up" motors etc. It would be nice to use motors etc that are currently available through LEGO (and are often cheaper than RRP on Bricklink).

2) Incorporating an interior design into the instructions. I believe @bricksmarlin designed a fabulous interior, I was going to figure out some of that based on photos and past discussions from this thread, but maybe you guys could work together to add that interior design to the remastered instructions.

1 hour ago, Darthmarty said:

Yeah, I've been confused by this recent discussion too. @Cjd223, glad to hear that your remastered version is coming along, I'm looking forward to it. I think I've acquired all of the parts for the original version, with some substitutions as well as extra things like minifigs I wanted. I own a Bricklink store so that helps for sourcing parts for large MOCs like this. I actually even purchased 3 of the 2005 Sandcrawlers (10144), because I wanted some of the reddish brown panels plus some other parts, and parted out the remainder of the sets into my store. I still haven't built the MOC yet, just haven't found the time, and at this point I might as well wait for the remastered instructions.

I for one would prefer to support the @Cjd223 version of the remaster, and I don't have a problem paying again even though I already purchased the first version, because I understand how much of an enormous undertaking this is. Everyone that keeps asking if the V2 instructions will be free if they previously purchased the V1 instructions, really do not have a full understanding of how many hours of work go into a project like this. On that note, it is a little disappointing to see that someone else might be working on a remaster of this without proper communication between all parties. Not only is it not fair to All-Out Brick (and maybe Brick Vault too?), it is also very confusing to people that might want to purchase this, and a waste of somebody's time and effort if two versions of a remaster are being worked on simultaneously. I don't think I will support the other remaster if All-Out Brick is getting cut out of the deal, I'll just make the best of it with what I have.

Two things that would be really helpful to me for a remastered version of this: 

1) a better, more thorough explanation of how to do the electronics wiring. I do not have a lot of experience with LEGO motors or lighting, so incorporating this into the instruction steps, or perhaps photographs, would be very helpful. I think I've purchased all the electronic components that I need, based on previous discussions in this thread, but it was pretty difficult to figure out, so adding a parts list for motors/lighting would be helpful. These discontinued parts are getting more and more expensive, not to mention could degrade in some cases, so I wonder if anyone has considered upgrading to the current "Powered Up" motors etc. It would be nice to use motors etc that are currently available through LEGO (and are often cheaper than RRP on Bricklink).

2) Incorporating an interior design into the instructions. I believe @bricksmarlin designed a fabulous interior, I was going to figure out some of that based on photos and past discussions from this thread, but maybe you guys could work together to add that interior design to the remastered instructions.

As far as I'm aware the Brick collective V2 is in collaboration with Brickvault and my understanding is that CDJ223 has nothing to do with brickvault or so they told me.

1 minute ago, cavegod said:

As far as I'm aware the Brick collective V2 is in collaboration with Brickvault and my understanding is that CDJ223 has nothing to do with brickvault or so they told me.

I am not collaborating with Brickvault at all. I was working on the update on my own/All-Out Brick, I actually had no idea Brickvault had a remaster in their plans as well 😂

Edited by Cjd223

Hey Christian (aka Cjd333), good luck!

I am confused too, asking myself in what kind of game I end up in. Or is it a soap actually?

Anyway, I assume you could copy/paste my fully documented (step-edited and page-edited manual) versions of base frame, first floor,  second floor and complete hallway which I already sent you by Email in April 2021. Hopefully it boosts the release of the updated manual for all those registered users who are still stuck in a heap of bricks somewhere.

Not to forget those who bought the MK-version, additionally bought the official instructions but were nevertheless openly denounced in this forum.

Meanwhile - speaking for ourselves - we don't need upgraded instructions because we recently completed our own.  Mika does the building, not the only reason why the approach is different, with much more submodels and smaller steps.

(Next contribution will be with pictures again).

21 minutes ago, brickginger said:

Hey Christian (aka Cjd333), good luck!

I am confused too, asking myself in what kind of game I end up in. Or is it a soap actually?

Anyway, I assume you could copy/paste my fully documented (step-edited and page-edited manual) versions of base frame, first floor,  second floor and complete hallway which I already sent you by Email in April 2021. Hopefully it boosts the release of the updated manual for all those registered users who are still stuck in a heap of bricks somewhere.

Not to forget those who bought the MK-version, additionally bought the official instructions but were nevertheless openly denounced in this forum.

Meanwhile - speaking for ourselves - we don't need upgraded instructions because we recently completed our own.  Mika does the building, not the only reason why the approach is different, with much more submodels and smaller steps.

(Next contribution will be with pictures again).

Ok now I'm very much confused here....bought the instruction from Brickvault a few months ago, and it wasn't until I send them questions about the items that didn't exist on the part list that I found out an update was coming. Which was confirmed later on this blog. Feel in love with some of the interior that people came up with (Rebrickable as some pics of them also). Now that I'm at nearly 95-96% item pick up for the V1 am wondering what to do next. Would love to get a part list for the interior, but know have to wait, and am studying the pics found to order the items that I might need to do it. If anyone has a list of interior item needed to do so, would love to get a copy and order. Until will have to exercise patience for the V2...

On 10/30/2021 at 1:34 PM, TheBob said:

@Sine qua non

I think this will depend on the page count of the instructions, we will see if printed instructions are affordable :-) 

Man, am I puzzled now! 

From what I've read on this site, CJD's new plans for the Sandcrawler are due out later this year and will be posted on the All-Out Brick site.  When I go to that site, I notice that the Utinni model is due out mid to late 2022.  Next to the write-up is a blurred image of what I assume to be the Utinni.  It looks  remarkably like the Sandcrawler.

So,

1).  Are CJD's instructions still the official ones for the sandcrawler coming out later this year or will they be delayed till mid to late 2022 and be included in the instructions for the Utinni?

2).  What is the relationship between the Utinni and the Sandcrawler?    

To the Gentlemen that started this project,

Hello Gentlemen, I purchased the instructions for this Awesome MOC from Christian on Mar 7, 2018. I was sent a link to down load the instructions. I have collected all the parts from the list :pir-bawling:. Will all or most of the parts count carry over from V1 to V2 when it is released?  

Thank you for your time and keep up the excellent craftmanship.

Dwayne

Way back when, i purchased the original Cdj223 instructions from Rebrickable . I'll wait until his V2.0 instructions are finished and repurchase them if necessary. I figure it's the only way to stay true to the original CaveGod design and Christian's effort on the new instructions.

Hi guys, just a short explanation. I run Brick Moon and together with BrickBob we do The Brick Collective. We are working closely with many designers...including Cavegod. We did with him the AT-M6, the Imperial Landing Craft...and now we are working since many months with Pete on the Sandcrawler V2. We are also working with Brick Vault in coop for this huge project. Pls be patient for more details...

There is also no competition or beef with others. We are just working on this and doing our best to make a great MOC.

I need help. none of the front panels line up with each other. The instructions are clearly wrong.  How do I modify the design so that 5 panels in the front fit together properly?

Edited by Daniel Underwood

Well, I first thought that I would PM Christian about his instructions for the new Sandcrawler, but I don't want to bedevil the man.  He has enough on his plate already.  I have checked the sites he has mentioned previously, but have yet to find any new information.  

Does anyone have any updates on a release date for the new instructions?

Kind Regards

On 1/21/2022 at 3:03 PM, corellian_egr said:

Well, I first thought that I would PM Christian about his instructions for the new Sandcrawler, but I don't want to bedevil the man.  He has enough on his plate already.  I have checked the sites he has mentioned previously, but have yet to find any new information.  

Does anyone have any updates on a release date for the new instructions?

Kind Regards

On 12/14/2021 at 12:42 PM, Brick Moon said:

Hi guys, just a short explanation. I run Brick Moon and together with BrickBob we do The Brick Collective. We are working closely with many designers...including Cavegod. We did with him the AT-M6, the Imperial Landing Craft...and now we are working since many months with Pete on the Sandcrawler V2. We are also working with Brick Vault in coop for this huge project. Pls be patient for more details...

There is also no competition or beef with others. We are just working on this and doing our best to make a great MOC.

Good day all,

Would like to post pics of the mods I did on the Sandcrawler but can only post small pics how can I post bigger pictures?

Thanks

Erick

6 hours ago, Onecrazy95civic said:

Good day all,

Would like to post pics of the mods I did on the Sandcrawler but can only post small pics how can I post bigger pictures?

Thanks

Erick

You need to use a service like imgur/flikr to host your images. Or if you happen to be like me - your own web server. :grin:

Edited by Kage Goomba

Well after a few months of trials and error, using pictures on the internet, 'lot of BL orders from all over the word, etc...this will be my set up for @cavegod Sandcrawler top panels. Theses are MOC up and will taken a part until I actually built the Sandcrawler this summer. I sure learned a lot about the LBB program!!!! More pictures on Flickr. Let me know what you think or if any recommendation/suggestions.

IMG_3540 by Erick Poussart, on Flickr

IMG_3544 by Erick Poussart, on Flickr

IMG_3548 by Erick Poussart, on Flickr

IMG_3557 by Erick Poussart, on Flickr

IMG_3546 by Erick Poussart, on Flickr

51905182327_2b7ee97497_k.jpgIMG_3358 by Erick Poussart, on Flickr

Edited by Onecrazy95civic