Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

Hey Cjd223,

is the new instruction on plan? Do you think you will finish at Fall 2021?

Thanks, Thomas

8 hours ago, Golf4GTI said:

Hey Cjd223,

is the new instruction on plan? Do you think you will finish at Fall 2021?

Thanks, Thomas

Unfortunately no way, no how will it be done this year. There is so much on my plate right now along with this MOC, and I want to make sure that everything is PERFECT with the update/remaster that will hopefully really make everyone happy.

I currently estimate that it will be fully revised and good to go in mid-late 2022.

Ok, thanks for the update! Good luck

@bricksmarlin

Would it be possible you share the pictures of your findings again or is there a link to a Flickr or other site to see the information?

Thanks for your help

AFAIK Bricksmarlin uses/used his own location to host his pictures.
But this site ( https://www.imperiumdersteine.de/index.php?media/albums/users/bricksmarlin.8754/ ) is since a few weeks not reachable. 
Firefox says: 
"The website at https://www.imperiumdersteine.de/ experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be remedied.
The page you want to view cannot be displayed because a data transfer error has been detected. 
Please contact the website owners to inform them about this issue"  

Great, thanks for your support and for sure take your time!

Thomas

Edited by Golf4GTI

Thank you very much for your kind words of support bricksmarlin. We remain great admirers of your inspiring contributions!

I really love what @viptouge and @bricksmarlin did to their insides of the sandcrawler. After admiring it and thinking about it a lot I created now my own inside if the Sandcrawler with a winch at the front! Thank you guys for the inspiration I am now one step closer to my final display version ;). Thanx a bunch!

Edited by Freddy1605

On 9/25/2018 at 1:23 PM, Redbird11 said:

So I haven’t seen anyone post lighting for the cockpit so I took a shot at it and this is what I came up with.

44905623621_d2c1208945_b.jpg31032442988_67a91a972f_b.jpg44905622621_ab5bf91c5d_b.jpg

Hi Redbird11,

is it also possible for you to upload your pictures to the electrics again? Thanks for sharing

Thomas

On 8/6/2021 at 2:32 AM, Golf4GTI said:

Hi Redbird11,

is it also possible for you to upload your pictures to the electrics again? Thanks for sharing

Thomas

Unfortunately I’m unable to find any of my stored pictures on Flickr, I will try to take some new ones. Are you just looking for where i put the lights or are you wanting to see how exactly it was wired? 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:32 AM, Golf4GTI said:

Hi Redbird11,

Thomas

Okay, so here are two pictures showing the location of the interior light setup in the cockpit... sorry it would have been a challenge to get the lights working because the Crawler is currently in storage. As you can see they are the Lego LEDs.

IMG_0440IMG_0439

The leds will not fit there if the ir recievers are in the correct place

1 hour ago, cavegod said:

The leds will not fit there if the ir recievers are in the correct place

Pete,

I placed my IR receivers facing out the sides while using some color matching transparent plates... probably not the ideal placement but it still works. The setup for the lighting was never detailed in the instructions so i just came up with my own solution.

Thanks @Redbird11

Yes I'm looking for some wiring information. As you mentioned already it's not in the instruction. Some comments would be helpful like on step XXX you have to insert ir receivers close to.... Thanks!

On 6/23/2020 at 5:56 PM, Redbird11 said:

IMG_4384IMG_4386

Hey, how did you make your repulsor lift? I cannot - for the life of me - figure it out how you managed to change the direction of the bricks for the droid. Your help would be appreciated!

Edited by Freddy1605

On 9/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, Freddy1605 said:

Hey, how did you make your repulsor lift? I cannot - for the life of me - figure it out how you managed to change the direction of the bricks for the droid. Your help would be appreciated!

There is just a stick or a pin in the Center 

On 9/10/2021 at 6:38 AM, Freddy1605 said:

Yes, there is a 3L or 4L Pin running down the center (can’t remember which)

Good evening,

This message is for the creator of the UCS Sandcrawler @cavegod but if any body else can help that would be great also!!! Just bought the UCS Sandcrawler plans from Brick Vault and am at 91% of the pieces collected. After studying the instructions inside out I couldn't noticing a lot of discrepancies between the pics I was looking at and the instructions. Such as, but not limited to; where do the battery pac, etc goes. Also some items are not listed in the parts list or just doesn't exist. As I was making research I just happen to discover this thread vie Rebrickable and wow it sure did help with figuring some items missing but am still left with a lot of questions so this is where I hope @cavegod can help me or anyone who have built the Sandcrawler.

Questions (have 'lots and in no particular order...trying not to forget any):

1. Item #44294, Technic, Axle 7L, black x4....very expensive...does it have to be black? If it's you see them and yes they need to be black...ok I'll then buy them if not what colour do you recommend?

2. I notice in the interior that item #3873, Technic, Link Tread, black is not in the part list and or in the building instruction but all the gears are there...can anyone tell how many you need total and per side?

3. Item #24316, Technic, Axle 3L with Stop, Dark Bluish Gray; according to Bricklink doesn't seem to exist...what would you recommend for replacement (item # and colour)?

4. Item #3070b, Tile 1 x 1 with Groove, Tile 1 x 8; Dark Brown; according to Bricklink seem to exist...what would you recommend for replacement (item # and colour)?

5. Item #4172, Tile 1 x 8; Dark Brown; according to Bricklink doesn't seem to exist...what would you recommend for replacement (item # and colour)?

6. Item #2412b, Tile, Modified 1 x 2 Grille with Bottom Groove / Lip; Dark Brown; according to Bricklink doesn't seem to exist...what would you recommend for replacement (item # and colour)?

7. Item #4589, Cone 1 x 1 without Top Groove, Dark Orange; according to Bricklink doesn't seem to exist...what would you recommend for replacement (item # and colour)?

8. Item #4865b, Panel 1 x 2 x 1 with Rounded Corners, Dark Orange; according to Bricklink doesn't seem to exist...what would you recommend for replacement (item # and colour)?

9. Item #32064b, Technic, Brick 1 x 2 with Axle Hole (x Shape), Reddish Brown; according to Bricklink doesn't seem to exist...what would you recommend for replacement (item # and colour)?

10. Item #87513c01, Light Bluish Gray, 9V Battery Box Power Functions (Non-Rechargeable) with Dark Bluish Gray Bottom; how many do you really need and where do go? The instructions that I got from Brick Vault don'T show it.

11. Item #58123bc01, Electric Power Functions Receiver Unit with Dark Bluish Gray Bottom and Black V2 Print (Version 2); where do go? The instructions that I got from Brick Vault don'T show it.

12. I also notice the revamp interior, very nice, is there instructions for that? If, yes where can I get the part list and instructions?

Did send numerous emails to Brick Vault they were somewhat helpful when ever they answered (not trying to be negative here) but they did told me they were working with the maker for a revamp items list/instruction and would get an update when available. If there is such thing can I get it?

I'm sure along the way but if the maker or anyone can help/guide me that would be great!

Thanks

Erick

IMG_3246.jpg

Edited by Onecrazy95civic

Hi Erick

it is a quite challenging build you are looking forward. I did it last year in spring and it was quite demanding, e.g. to get the different panels fixed. But for that please check thoroughly this blog where you will find many tips. I also would suggest, first to check the instructions page by page and look for the expensive parts to check if you want to keep them or to find a cheaper replacement. I also replaced 30359b by a brickbuilt solution or you can use Panel 1*6*5 which you still can from LEGO itself.
Also starting on page 92 the lower body starts with its technic frame where you really have to check out later pages for assembling in correct order.

Imagine, you are building an one metre long vehicle- will you detect if one small part has changed from instructions? No, I would like to encourage you to change stuff which are not existing or which makes it much more expensive. As long as you stay in the principal color scheme nobody would notice. Many more replacements you can see in this blog.

to the parts:
Item #44294:most or all of the axles should be notvisible -> light bluish grey

Item #3873 See page 9 of this thread, 170 you'll need

Item #24316 -> reddish brown

Item #3070b on page 181: a little rebuild with plates and tiles 1*2 replacing 1*1 brick and 1*1 plates, you can also go 2* for longer plates 1*8 

Item #4172 e.g. 2 times 1*4 tiles - not many variations with tiles in dark brown, only 1*2,1*3,1*4 and 1*6 long (or2*2)

Item #2412b replace with dark brown tile or switch to reddish brown

Item #32064b, Page 320: replaced with 1*2 brick with technic hole in reddish brown, the crossaxle would prevent it from turning but that athe brick hole is also fine.

I used three battery boxes and two receivers. For them you need to build an own solution which fits in the upper middle part.

Also many parts were still unused after finished the build. 

To point 12) I cannot say much. I f I will hav etime later after getting second version of instructions maaybe I will revisit and put also some own ideas to it. But right now I am satisfied with it.

Greetings to Canada

To @Mr Ogel,

Thanks for the info and already amended my parts list! Am looking forward to start this built, once all pieces collected. Hopefully by then the instruction for the revamp interior are made available! Not planning to start this project until next year once I move in into my new house. Will tackle the UCS Shuttle Tydirium first, got all the pieces for it and can't wait to build it. Again thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Greetings to Germany!

On 10/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, Onecrazy95civic said:

To @Mr Ogel,

Thanks for the info and already amended my parts list! Am looking forward to start this built, once all pieces collected. Hopefully by then the instruction for the revamp interior are made available! Not planning to start this project until next year once I move in into my new house. Will tackle the UCS Shuttle Tydirium first, got all the pieces for it and can't wait to build it. Again thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Greetings to Germany!

Hi, there are many errors with the instructions, most parts not available in certain colours can be substitued for other colours. for the most part if you choose between brown or reddish brown you can't go wrong. new instructions with interior ect will be available later this year from Brickmoon.

Good morning.  Are these the instructions that were due out at the end of next year or am I wrong about this?  This is the first time I've heard of Brickmoon.  Is it another site like Bricklink?  I tried to access Brickmoon.com, but got a

suspicious site that I decided not to try.  Is there a better way to access this site?

As always, 

Kind Regards