Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

here is a couple of pics from the lower entrance area and my version of the repulsor lift.

IMG_4384IMG_4386

3 hours ago, LiquidSky42 said:

I just finished the build, Though I have no clue where the wire through the flood light wires to end up in the middle section to then plug in. Has anyone done this step that can help me?

https://imgur.com/a/Exy9sg7

so there are small gaps on both sides where you can route the wires through, I used the Lego LEDs which are bigger wiring than other lighting companies so whatever you choose to use should work out fine.

IMG_4387

On 6/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, 1_Bad_Donkey said:

I i'm in the process of building this as well and have a few questions for those who have built it. Are there instructions on how to build the following:

1. Crane w/ motors

2. Inside ceiling of main area

3. Battery and ir receiver holding areas

Are these apart of a future update, from a section of instructions I am missing, or are the just sections that people have MOCed together on their own.   

there is enough space in the car body to place the battery or others,so don't worry.

a new part for replacement of 4215b Panel hast just arrived from 71374 NES

image.png.29fb51084c9a56983fd9d8f9d1766f13.png

Edited by Mr Ogel

23 hours ago, JustaBuick said:

hows the updated instructions coming?

On the backburner right now. As in, pretty far on the backburners, unfortunately.

I recently laid out all of the manuals I want to remaster as well as a few new projects I want to complete. Based on that, I have the Sandcrawler updated instructions being done Fall 2021.

I know, disappointing for those of you looking forward to this one. But there's a lot of stuff I want to get done, and the quality I'm striving for takes a lot of time. Hopefully once the updated AT-AT Manual comes out it will give everyone a good idea of what to expect. Especially with this model I really want to nail everything on the head. Power functions, wiring, lighting, upgraded interior, etc. and for 12,000 pieces this is going to be a long process. But have faith, the wait will be WELL worth it :wink:

On 9/28/2020 at 3:29 PM, Cjd223 said:

On the backburner right now. As in, pretty far on the backburners, unfortunately.

I recently laid out all of the manuals I want to remaster as well as a few new projects I want to complete. Based on that, I have the Sandcrawler updated instructions being done Fall 2021.

I know, disappointing for those of you looking forward to this one. But there's a lot of stuff I want to get done, and the quality I'm striving for takes a lot of time. Hopefully once the updated AT-AT Manual comes out it will give everyone a good idea of what to expect. Especially with this model I really want to nail everything on the head. Power functions, wiring, lighting, upgraded interior, etc. and for 12,000 pieces this is going to be a long process. But have faith, the wait will be WELL worth it :wink:

Copy, I know the instructions the pictures of the parts are kinda fuzzy. No worries, starting page one this week.

6 hours ago, JustaBuick said:

Copy, I know the instructions the pictures of the parts are kinda fuzzy. No worries, starting page one this week.

I'm still not sure why that had happened. Originally the instructions were going to be printed for the Sandcrawler, but the size of the manual ended up being too large and would have cost a fortune. In this it's likely that the resolution (Which is normally over 4K) was lower in order to look proper once it was printed, and then once the pdf compressed these images it compounded the blurriness. Unfortunately once the laptop carrying all of the files died there was never a way to get back the original files to up the resolution.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:29 PM, Cjd223 said:

Purchased the instructions think 2years ago. Im somewhere in the middle of the work now. So with my speed of build it will be on time for me to finish the interior and power functions :)

I recently bought around 70% of this moc in one lot, but the last 1700 pieces that I need are crazy expensive. Some bricklink sellers are out of there mind wanting 40 euro for one single small lego piece!

The ones I can't seem to find cheap for some reason are:

4095 light bluish gray  and reddish brown x6

63965  light bluish gray

30359b reddish brown x3

6111 reddish brown x25

3008 dark brown

3006 reddish brown x11

88393 dark bluish gray x22

4740 reddish brown x58

2873 brown x3

30374 dark orange x2

43898 reddish brown x24

75c10 light bluish gray

194 light bluish gray x4

2516 light bluish gray x1

These are the most expensive. Maybe you guys could help me find these or could tell me if I can use a different color or just leave it out.

I'm really considering selling the pieces that I've already got because I still need to buy for at least 500 euro on lego brick otherwise.

26 minutes ago, Parasite said:

I recently bought around 70% of this moc in one lot, but the last 1700 pieces that I need are crazy expensive. Some bricklink sellers are out of there mind wanting 40 euro for one single small lego piece!

The ones I can't seem to find cheap for some reason are:

4095 light bluish gray  and reddish brown x6

63965  light bluish gray

30359b reddish brown x3

6111 reddish brown x25

3008 dark brown

3006 reddish brown x11

88393 dark bluish gray x22

4740 reddish brown x58

2873 brown x3

30374 dark orange x2

43898 reddish brown x24

75c10 light bluish gray

194 light bluish gray x4

2516 light bluish gray x1

These are the most expensive. Maybe you guys could help me find these or could tell me if I can use a different color or just leave it out.

I'm really considering selling the pieces that I've already got because I still need to buy for at least 500 euro on lego brick otherwise.

I replaced these parts with others. That's the advantage of Lego. What I did I have listed below. I hope this helps

4095 light bluish gray  and reddish brown x6 - Replaced with Bar 6L with stop ring 63965

63965  light bluish gray - This one is available in Light Bluish Grey

30359b reddish brown x3 - I had some of these so I didn't need to buy them but they don't seem to be too expensive ( My opinion )

6111 reddish brown x25 - Replaced with a 1x6 Reddish Brown Brick and a 1x4 Reddish Brown Brick

3008 dark brown - I made these with 3 1x8 Dark Brown Plates

3006 reddish brown x11 - Replaced with a 2x6 Reddish Brown Brick and a 2x4 Reddish Brown Brick

88393 dark bluish gray x22 - Replaced with 1x2x5 Dark Bluish Grey Brick

4740 reddish brown x58 - These are available in Reddish Brown and not too expensive ( My Opinion )

2873 brown x3 - I had some of these so I didn't need to buy them but they don't seem to be too expensive ( My opinion )

30374 dark orange x2 - Replaced with Bar 4L Reddish Brown

43898 reddish brown x24 - I had some of these so I didn't need to buy them but they don't seem to be too expensive ( My opinion )

75c10 light bluish gray - I brought a longer Hose Rigid 3mm and cut down to size

194 light bluish gray x4 - I used Minifigure Utensil Hose Nozzle Elaborate 60849

2516 light bluish gray x1 - I think I left this part out, I can't remember what I did with this part

I hope this helps. I learnt a lot when building this. I replaced a lot and used other parts when cost was an issue.

Cheers 

Sebastion

Cavegod has always stated that you don't have to abide 100% by the instructions... make the model your own and adjust the colors as you see fit.

16 hours ago, unclesebby said:

I replaced these parts with others. That's the advantage of Lego. What I did I have listed below. I hope this helps

4095 light bluish gray  and reddish brown x6 - Replaced with Bar 6L with stop ring 63965

63965  light bluish gray - This one is available in Light Bluish Grey

30359b reddish brown x3 - I had some of these so I didn't need to buy them but they don't seem to be too expensive ( My opinion )

6111 reddish brown x25 - Replaced with a 1x6 Reddish Brown Brick and a 1x4 Reddish Brown Brick

3008 dark brown - I made these with 3 1x8 Dark Brown Plates

3006 reddish brown x11 - Replaced with a 2x6 Reddish Brown Brick and a 2x4 Reddish Brown Brick

88393 dark bluish gray x22 - Replaced with 1x2x5 Dark Bluish Grey Brick

4740 reddish brown x58 - These are available in Reddish Brown and not too expensive ( My Opinion )

2873 brown x3 - I had some of these so I didn't need to buy them but they don't seem to be too expensive ( My opinion )

30374 dark orange x2 - Replaced with Bar 4L Reddish Brown

43898 reddish brown x24 - I had some of these so I didn't need to buy them but they don't seem to be too expensive ( My opinion )

75c10 light bluish gray - I brought a longer Hose Rigid 3mm and cut down to size

194 light bluish gray x4 - I used Minifigure Utensil Hose Nozzle Elaborate 60849

2516 light bluish gray x1 - I think I left this part out, I can't remember what I did with this part

I hope this helps. I learnt a lot when building this. I replaced a lot and used other parts when cost was an issue.

Cheers 

Sebastion

Yeah this helps, I just wasn't shure I've I could replace some of the bricks because of how it would look.

1 hour ago, Parasite said:

Yeah this helps, I just wasn't shure I've I could replace some of the bricks because of how it would look.

My own version which the instructions are based off is not even built the same as the instructions so do not worry about correct colour of parts.

Hello everyone.

I am building the MK 21009 version of the Sandcrawler and im having a really hard time building the front part so it doesnt look awful.

I did some research on the Web and found out its a stolen MOC. So first thing i have done today was buying the instructions from brickvault.

Im still completely overwhelmed and things did not get easier for me at all.

Thankfully i found this forum with its great members.

Im trying my best to get as much information out of this thread as possible but i guess i still need help and hope this is the right place to come to, as i am a total noob when it comes to fixing stuff, but my son wanted this beast so badly for Xmas i hope i can make him happy.

Have a great day everyone.

Edited by EuroMars

The Sandcrawler is amazing. I purchased the instructions yesterday, as well as for Cavegod's Imperial Shuttle Tydirium. I've read through this forum a couple times and have taken some notes, it is hard to follow all the suggestions when they are so spread out. It is great to hear that there will be an update to the instructions hopefully sometime this year. I understand how much work that is. In the meantime, I think it would be worthwhile to have an addendum to the instructions for doing the power functions. The power functions are emphasized extensively in the video on Brickvault, but there is nothing in the instructions about it. I should be able to figure it out from the photos and advice in this this thread, but it really should be something that is included in the instructions package you purchase.

Couple questions:

1) Has anyone tried to update the power functions to the new Powered Up, Bluetooth system? What would be the equivalent items needed? The Powered Up motors look like they're shaped differently so would need some retrofitting. Powered Up isn't cheap, but as power functions grows increasingly dated and more and more expensive, it might come out around the same. Most of the Powered Up items are out of stock at LEGO S@H right now, so looks like I'm Bricklinking the Powered Up items (and getting what I need for Tydirium while I'm at it).

2) The small vehicle @bricksmarlin had in some of his photos with the droids in it, is that a MOC, or from an actual set? I'm guessing MOC, but either way I thought it looked cool.

3) Could someone post some close up shots of how to do the crane? I wasn't quite sure how this was built, some of the photos are either too far away or too dark.

Thanks!

Hello everyone, 

I have embarked on this journey also and am trying to smooth out the gaps. Could someone tell me the piece number of this piece. Is it some kind of inverted 1x1 slope? I am not familiar with this piece :look:

Thanks.

Untitled.jpg

Piece 54200.

But i think its glued here or with cutted short pin. I see no chance to connect it on this picture. What do the others think?

Cheers stefan

Edited by treffer21

2 hours ago, treffer21 said:

Piece 54200.

But i think its glued here or with cutted short pin. I see no chance to connect it on this picture. What do the others think?

Cheers stefan

You need a technic 1/2 pin and a cheese slope. no idea why they are not inbthe instructions.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:26 PM, EuroMars said:

Hello everyone.

I am building the MK 21009 version of the Sandcrawler and im having a really hard time building the front part so it doesnt look awful.

I did some research on the Web and found out its a stolen MOC. So first thing i have done today was buying the instructions from brickvault.

Im still completely overwhelmed and things did not get easier for me at all.

Thankfully i found this forum with its great members.

Im trying my best to get as much information out of this thread as possible but i guess i still need help and hope this is the right place to come to, as i am a total noob when it comes to fixing stuff, but my son wanted this beast so badly for Xmas i hope i can make him happy.

Have a great day everyone.

MK bricks have stolen the design you're on your own!

3 hours ago, cavegod said:

You need a technic 1/2 pin and a cheese slope. no idea why they are not inbthe instructions.

Thanks sir!

Another question: is it possible to pick up and move this beast by it’s belly when fully assembled?

13 hours ago, a-base said:

Thanks sir!

Another question: is it possible to pick up and move this beast by it’s belly when fully assembled?

no as the track section is not attached to the body, easy enough to pick the body up though.

I am following this whole MOC developement for more than two years and ever was so stoked to one day build it myself. Even though I don't have the time yet, I decided to do the step and purchased the instructions from Mr. Dvorak. This whole thing, the preparation, thorough planning and as gigantic as perfectly detailed instruction is just outstanding and a great gift to the community! Thanks for this MOC!
Unfortunately, I am totally busy with the big bricks - meaning that we currently are building our home at it will definitely be engaged with other things until May this year. But why not preparing everything already? :D

Well, as getting the instruction somehow started the avalanche, I couldn't stop and begun creating an excel table, based on the bricklink lists - and with a little workaround managed to get a pretty neat overview (including a calculation script, and a xml converter to put the current situation into bricklink and brickowl, to make it more visualized). The reason, why I decided to do a table followup is, that from my experience the wishlist and update function, after I'd bought some bricks - did not always work properly and led to double listings/purchases in the past - and since double purchases in this dimension would be quite pricy, I decided to change my approach.

So this is what my list looks like (or at least a part of it):

image.thumb.png.994a0dff87adf155dc26b711546653e7.png

Part ID, Color Code and Set Quantity are fed from the basic MOC set file. The quantity of the ordered items comes from a "ordered-items" tab, which I combine from xml's of several brick-list pages and manual purchases. The "CrosslinkID" is some sort of primary key. Consisting of Part ID and Color, to ensure that each line is unique and corresponds to the set-item. This actually makes most of the organisational work. To ensure, that PartID and Color in my "ordered-items" tab is merging with the CrosslinkID of the requirement list. But I worked it out quite good.

The corresponding xml code is generated simply via excel formula

image.png.f54728d124311659a053df5fbc2f46ca.png

to make it easier for me, setting up a "to buy" wishlist by filtering all the items I still need, copy the generated xml column, paste it into a *.xml file (certanly with appropriate header and footer) and upload it to brickowl (or any desired database).

It was quite a hustle, getting rid of all overpriced items by manually altering the max. value or searching for alternatives but sometimes (and all the ones who already built this beast know it!) theres rare bricks, which could make the whole set incredibly expensive.

Top of the rocks is this one

image.png.ff3f54beb8386ea29786883a29819551.png

the famous 4215b in reddish brown, which is as rare as pricy and since you need 93 of them, you better sell all your stock :D

Since Lego isn't the only molding company on the market anymore I started to look for an alternative. It took me a couple of days to find a competitor, who offered this item in this particular color and so it came, that I ordered 100 of these for the current fan-price of one (!) Lego item (shipping included). I don't know the quality or color match yet, but the company has a huge portfolio and good experience, wherefore I hope to make good use of this bargain.

For all the other rare, expensive pieces I place an significantly cheaper order at another competitor from Germany who already proofed worthy to be 100% compatible to Lego.

In total, with only 204 bricks missing, I paid less than 1600€ for the whole set.

Keeping you updated :)

On 9/28/2020 at 11:29 PM, Cjd223 said:

Hey Cjd223,

so should I wait till Fall 2021, or will I get an free update if I buy now the instructions?!

THX!

11 hours ago, DanielOcean1978 said:

Hey Cjd223,

so should I wait till Fall 2021, or will I get an free update if I buy now the instructions?!

THX!

You'll get a free update if you bought it now, but if you want the new instructions for building anyways I would wait for then because the parts list is definitely going to change a little bit, especially with the reduction of rare/expensive parts