Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

Apologies for being out of the loop (I don't have the parts list nor the instructions for this model) but if part 4215b is required in reddish brown, it is several times less expensive to buy them in the old brown color. Additionally, part 60581 is available in reddish brown for significantly lower prices as well, and is almost exactly the same part.

What alternatives have others done for these parts if they are not produced in the color in the parts list...

93095 Light Bluish Grey

91988 Red  

48729b White

60475b (30241b) Reddish Brown

32064 Reddish Brown

I i'm in the process of building this as well and have a few questions for those who have built it. Are there instructions on how to build the following:

1. Crane w/ motors

2. Inside ceiling of main area

3. Battery and ir receiver holding areas

Are these apart of a future update, from a section of instructions I am missing, or are the just sections that people have MOCed together on their own.   

29 minutes ago, 1_Bad_Donkey said:

I i'm in the process of building this as well and have a few questions for those who have built it. Are there instructions on how to build the following:

1. Crane w/ motors

Are these apart of a future update, from a section of instructions I am missing, or are the just sections that people have MOCed together on their own.   

I think bricksmarlin did the best job here:) mb ask him or email him. I have kinda a copy of his interior as a ldd on my pc and can upload it. (but didnt build it yet)

idk about the update pf the instruction, they said they gonna do an update but dont know the current status:)

8 hours ago, 1_Bad_Donkey said:

1. Crane w/ motors

There are 3 positions for the IR receivers built in to the top of the sand crawler.

Hi All,

I read that an update to the instructions was in the works. Can we get an update on the progress please?

Thanks.

On 6/7/2020 at 5:38 AM, treffer21 said:

done, thank you for this masterpiece!

20200501_210557_copy_720x540.jpg

Your missing some cheese slopes from the front!

1 hour ago, cavegod said:

Your missing some cheese slopes from the front!

In the meantime they are installed. Also the gaps on the side of the roof are filled. I just was so excited when i was finished that i took the fotos. On the next day i took a closer look and found some little mistakes.

Thx for the hint

On 6/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, rockpig said:

Hi All,

I read that an update to the instructions was in the works. Can we get an update on the progress please?

Thanks.

Hi.

Regarding the updates on the Sandcrawler manual, they are in progress, but far from complete. In short the laptop I made the instructions on crashed and I was unable to save the files, which means starting from scratch again.

I am also working on updates for the AT-AT manual, which are much less daunting and require only some reordering of steps in the body, redesigning the legs to include an inner technic structure, and redesigning some of the pages of the manual. This will be done before the Sandcrawler.

Progress may seem slow as I've been talking about these updates for quite some time, but there's a lot of different Lego projects that I'm working on right now, but rest assured they will get done in the future. I'm also going to test build the Sandcrawler again after redesigning the manual. My hopes are that it is done before the end of this year, but that all depends on how long it takes to redesign the manual. The original design took 3-4 months if I remember correctly, but this time around my time is a little bit split up between projects as I mentioned before.

The good news though, and there is some here, is that the bottom section of the manual is complete along witha  portion of the upper section. The current progress is 5,159 pieces into the new manual, which is a little bit less than halfway. Again, my hopes are to complete it by the end of this year at the worst.

Something that would be incredibly helpful would be a rundown of issues users have had with the current pdf manual. If you could either comment the problems or PM me, that would be fantastic. I have been tracking back through the thread to get an overview of what issues have popped up, but direct help from other builders would be incredibly helpful. Including a page number would be great if possible too.

Hope this helps.

21 minutes ago, muhkuh said:

Nice to hear:)!!

q question ...so 5k on top of the 12k pcs?:))

5k out of the 12k. I had to restart the manual from scratch so far I’ve re-done 5k of the parts at this point.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, Cjd223 said:

Hi.

Regarding the updates on the Sandcrawler manual, they are in progress, but far from complete. In short the laptop I made the instructions on crashed and I was unable to save the files, which means starting from scratch again.

I am also working on updates for the AT-AT manual, which are much less daunting and require only some reordering of steps in the body, redesigning the legs to include an inner technic structure, and redesigning some of the pages of the manual. This will be done before the Sandcrawler.

Progress may seem slow as I've been talking about these updates for quite some time, but there's a lot of different Lego projects that I'm working on right now, but rest assured they will get done in the future. I'm also going to test build the Sandcrawler again after redesigning the manual. My hopes are that it is done before the end of this year, but that all depends on how long it takes to redesign the manual. The original design took 3-4 months if I remember correctly, but this time around my time is a little bit split up between projects as I mentioned before.

The good news though, and there is some here, is that the bottom section of the manual is complete along witha  portion of the upper section. The current progress is 5,159 pieces into the new manual, which is a little bit less than halfway. Again, my hopes are to complete it by the end of this year at the worst.

Something that would be incredibly helpful would be a rundown of issues users have had with the current pdf manual. If you could either comment the problems or PM me, that would be fantastic. I have been tracking back through the thread to get an overview of what issues have popped up, but direct help from other builders would be incredibly helpful. Including a page number would be great if possible too.

Hope this helps.

Well that’s pretty much made the decision for me regarding what my next two projects are going to be. I look forward to the release of the updated manuals.

Would you be kind enough to post here to let us know when they are are done, whenever that may be?

Thank you for taking the time to update them.

Edited by hackenbacker

Hi Christian,

here are my comments to the pdf instructions, as you wished also with page numbers and step numbers if needed.
For other topics please check page 6 and 7 of the thread, the hints from brickmarlin.
Also the motor for the conveyor belt is missing.

Some points were too easy to fix during build, others were not easy and will be most probably also not easy to fix in the instructions..

It was really a pleasure to build it. I still have to fix some panels on th ehullwhich are lying in a box, desperately waiting to get in operation.

p.21. 11: free hanging pieces, fixed with next page
p.33, 8;p.57, 8;p.61, 8: free hanging pieces, fixed with next page
p.28, 16;p.42, 16;p.52, 16;p.70, 16;p.75, 16: free standing pieces, fixed with next step

Technic bricks on pins and between plates at same time:
p.83, 2,3; p.83,4; p.84, 4/6 etc. repeated action for whole base
also p.217, 136 etc.: plates to put between technick bricks
p.88, 17: technic bricks coming on p.106, 36

p.96, 26: bricks, liftarm in between comes with front door on page 426

p.112, 12: free hanging pieces, fixed with next page

p.126, 45: technic bricks to build in afterwards

p.183, 102: start of putting inverted slopes between bricks, whole front like this until p.215
p.271, 189: bricks came too late
p.301, 8: wegde plates too late
p.305, 17: round bricks too late
p.308, 7: free hanging plate
p.311, p.312 2,3: round bricks too late
p.351, p.356 technic brick between pins and bricks
p.353, 7 free hanging bricks
p.354, 12 technic brick between pins and bricks
p.352, p.358 actuator put too late on axle
p.374 red technic brick coming too late
p.381, 382 plate with hole and plate too early
p.408, p.409 actuator to put on pin between bricks
p.502, p.562, p.573 walls to put between hinge bricks
p.539, hinges to be put between plate and tiles, fixed on page 559, tiles too early
p.575, black tile and wedges not fitting with grilled tile on bottom

greetings, Martin

On 6/14/2020 at 9:26 AM, treffer21 said:

Does everybody who already bought the instruction get the updated version for free??

Yes they will!

20 hours ago, Mr Ogel said:

Hi Christian,

here are my comments to the pdf instructions, as you wished also with page numbers and step numbers if needed.
For other topics please check page 6 and 7 of the thread, the hints from brickmarlin.
Also the motor for the conveyor belt is missing.

Some points were too easy to fix during build, others were not easy and will be most probably also not easy to fix in the instructions..

It was really a pleasure to build it. I still have to fix some panels on th ehullwhich are lying in a box, desperately waiting to get in operation.

p.21. 11: free hanging pieces, fixed with next page
p.33, 8;p.57, 8;p.61, 8: free hanging pieces, fixed with next page
p.28, 16;p.42, 16;p.52, 16;p.70, 16;p.75, 16: free standing pieces, fixed with next step

Technic bricks on pins and between plates at same time:
p.83, 2,3; p.83,4; p.84, 4/6 etc. repeated action for whole base
also p.217, 136 etc.: plates to put between technick bricks
p.88, 17: technic bricks coming on p.106, 36

p.96, 26: bricks, liftarm in between comes with front door on page 426

p.112, 12: free hanging pieces, fixed with next page

p.126, 45: technic bricks to build in afterwards

p.183, 102: start of putting inverted slopes between bricks, whole front like this until p.215
p.271, 189: bricks came too late
p.301, 8: wegde plates too late
p.305, 17: round bricks too late
p.308, 7: free hanging plate
p.311, p.312 2,3: round bricks too late
p.351, p.356 technic brick between pins and bricks
p.353, 7 free hanging bricks
p.354, 12 technic brick between pins and bricks
p.352, p.358 actuator put too late on axle
p.374 red technic brick coming too late
p.381, 382 plate with hole and plate too early
p.408, p.409 actuator to put on pin between bricks
p.502, p.562, p.573 walls to put between hinge bricks
p.539, hinges to be put between plate and tiles, fixed on page 559, tiles too early
p.575, black tile and wedges not fitting with grilled tile on bottom

greetings, Martin

This is great thank you Martin!

P. 11 in the underbody-entrance section,  there are tiles and panels inside that seem to imply that there is a ramp that can slide out, but there is no ramp in the design.

Also, the design does no include repulsorlift  tube that sucks R2D2 up inside. 

Both the ramp and tube are in the Flickr photos.

P. 583 and the part list do not include the silver rims used as fans. Also, the silver lightsabers are in the cockpit design, but not the part list.

Unless you buy the brown panels in quantities less than 5, you have to pay $20 USD/panel. That's over $1800 USD for the set. I know a couple of lego fan that are scared away from ever attempting this set (and they discourage others from doing so), because the panels are no available. I know it is time consuming, but can't it be redesigned using 1x1x5, 1x2x5, and 1x2x2 reddish brown bricks instead? I am having to redesign the instructions to use those because the panels aren't feasible.

I know it will take a lot of time to redesign to not use panels, but if you want people to buy the $60 instructions, the pieces need to be available. Why would anyone buy instructions for a set that they cannot build? 

I am willing to share the redesign ideas I am working on. They will avoid the use of panels, but will only change the bricks, not the decorative plates and other types of pieces used to create features, rust, and designs. 

Edited by Daniel Underwood

There are a fair number of updates that I made to the design as I was building this.

Besides the panels, part 30359b in Reddish Brown has only been in one set and prices are kinda crazy (~£100 for the required 11 pieces).

88930 is Reddish Brown is also in scarce supply outside the US.

There are also a few things that are simply impossible to build - liftarms + technic bricks + plates + 3L pins. Unless you do some serious bending and forcing, these parts will not go together. (I can find the exact places if needed.) There are things that you can build better as you've got newer pieces available.

Glad I held off starting this! I had just finished brickvault's UCS Ghost when they release 2.0. 

I look forward to the new instructions for this.

Thanks, Jamie

If it’s being rebuilt by the designer when he completes v2.0 of the instructions, I’m sure most if these issues will be addressed.

I have ordered all the parts, shipping from overseas just sucks. I used bricks in lieu of the 30359b panels.

On 6/17/2020 at 9:13 AM, zmarkella said:

There are a fair number of updates that I made to the design as I was building this.

Besides the panels, part 30359b in Reddish Brown has only been in one set and prices are kinda crazy (~£100 for the required 11 pieces).

88930 is Reddish Brown is also in scarce supply outside the US.

There are also a few things that are simply impossible to build - liftarms + technic bricks + plates + 3L pins. Unless you do some serious bending and forcing, these parts will not go together. (I can find the exact places if needed.) There are things that you can build better as you've got newer pieces available.

The sandcrawler I view as a very slow gather. Just be patient grab 1 or 2 with other bricks when you can for .30 cents each or something. Spread these rare parts out and buy when it makes sense