Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

Anyone had any thoughts on outfitting the build with the newly released Powered UP instead of Power Functions? With the motors being different sizes it would require modifications to mount them. However, based on the torque/speed comparisons I've come across, I wonder whether the new L-motor might be sufficient (instead of using the XL like for like). 

On 10/3/2019 at 5:50 AM, zmarkella said:

Great! I'll organise my notes in some format that's going to be understandable/clear for others.

I think Cjd223's decision to issue modified instructions for the sandcrawler, including changes such as zmarkella has kindly agreed to supply, is excellent news.  With geniuses like Cjd223 and Cavegod around, can you just imagine what gorgeous creations will spring from their imaginations in the years to come?  Can't wait.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:23 PM, corellian_egr said:

I think Cjd223's decision to issue modified instructions for the sandcrawler, including changes such as zmarkella has kindly agreed to supply, is excellent news.  With geniuses like Cjd223 and Cavegod around, can you just imagine what gorgeous creations will spring from their imaginations in the years to come?  Can't wait.

I can assure you that we are working on a few awesome releases within these next few months, stay tuned...

I was looking at some of the interior shots that Bricksmarlin shared, that showed some really nice customization work he had done.  There's one piece that I haven't seen before and I'm hoping someone might be able to identify the part # for me.  I out lined it in red below:

539184819_interiorpart_crop1.jpg.24c7e05e3db64569e6bdeefc734efb9a.jpg

8 hours ago, Soggy Cheetoh said:

I was looking at some of the interior shots that Bricksmarlin shared, that showed some really nice customization work he had done.  There's one piece that I haven't seen before and I'm hoping someone might be able to identify the part # for me.  I out lined it in red below:

It's this part from the old Knights Kingdom action figures:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=47474&idColor=86#T=C&C=86

Have any of you guys modified the treads so they will run faster/smoother? I just finished them and they're really slow, and they keep catching on something. I tried mounting the XL motors on the wheels directly and having them in the middle section. The treads are a little faster, but they’re still catching. Any ideas?

Edited by Gandalf

In "The Mandalorian" episode 2, there is extensive footage of a sandcrawler, including views inside the cockpit and exterior hatches. This would be great reference material for sandcrawler detailing.

Any update on an updated instructions/parts list? I really want to buy the instructions and start collecting for this MOC, but I'll probably wait until there is a up to date partslist or list with parts that you can substitute for the expensive ones. 

Hi guys just starting this. I find the 93 4215b reddish brown panels hard to find and expensive. Besides the weight saving...any advice to replace them? Or would it be good to use only bricks here instead of panels?

Thank you

Francisco

One alternative is to use a 1x4 RB brick and two 87552 RB panels per brick as a replacement.  I did this (haven't built yet) as a substitute.  I also got lucky and found a seller with about 50 actual panels selling them DIRT CHEAP.

I just bought the bundle and paged through the .pdf instructions. I got goosebumps watching the build and can't wait until I can start it myself!!

Amazing work!!

Edited by waden34

So just got done reading this entire forum haha. I'm piecing this together at a local bricks and minifigs and am curious.

1. Can I replace the 36 1x16 LBG technic bricks with black? I just exhausted my inventory on Raskolnikov's Aggressor haha

2. Is there a different way the electronics can be done? Part#8878 is $100 a pop and theres 0 chance of finding these in the wild. Curious if theres a cheaper option. EDIT: oops, just found part#88000. Forgive me..havent had power functions in any lego model I've owned since my first train set back in 99!

Thanks!

Edited by scheyjosh

Since all of the technic bricks are covered up it is fine to use black over the LBG, Cavegod has always said to make adjustments as you see fit, this is a very expensive MOC so decrease your spending where you can. B&M is a great resource to acquire a lot of what you need, it will just take a lot of dedicated sifting. I would make friends with the owner if you haven’t done so already, they might be willing to let you sort through some of the bulk that they have in storage, in exchange for your assistance in pulling out what they need when they have their employees sort...this is what I do at the stores located by me. where are you located? 

5 hours ago, Redbird11 said:

Since all of the technic bricks are covered up it is fine to use black over the LBG, Cavegod has always said to make adjustments as you see fit, this is a very expensive MOC so decrease your spending where you can. B&M is a great resource to acquire a lot of what you need, it will just take a lot of dedicated sifting. I would make friends with the owner if you haven’t done so already, they might be willing to let you sort through some of the bulk that they have in storage, in exchange for your assistance in pulling out what they need when they have their employees sort...this is what I do at the stores located by me. where are you located? 

Ok sweet, cause I have a ton of that in black!

And oh I already do that haha. I've already done 2 of mortesv's nebulon B frigates and raskolnikov's ISD...total cost including BL orders for all three were 1350...and that's including the probably 10,000 extra parts that I have now which I'm putting towards the executor, sandcrawler, and eventually raskolnikov's mon cal cruiser. B&M is a life saver and I'm friends with everyone there. It was also inevitable since I've spent probably at least 60 hours there over the last year. My gf hates me lmao

Edited by scheyjosh

Just know that because the Sandcrawler is so large, used RB pieces with scratches will be very noticeable... so be very selective with those pieces. The build is fantastic...enjoy!

1 hour ago, Redbird11 said:

Just know that because the Sandcrawler is so large, used RB pieces with scratches will be very noticeable... so be very selective with those pieces. The build is fantastic...enjoy!

That just makes it better, imo

It could definitely create that weathered/used look if done appropriately, it just depends what the builder wants out of the finished product.

I recently finished this Sandcrawler and can attest to how amazing it is, and how enjoyable the build was.

There's a few minor issues with parts count and the instructions.  Handy to have spares to fall back upon, or be patient to order extras.  Overall, a very satisfying project.

Thank you to all involved in the design and instructions!

IMG_5147 copy.JPG

On 12/22/2019 at 8:31 PM, alienbarbos said:

Hi guys just starting this. I find the 93 4215b reddish brown panels hard to find and expensive. Besides the weight saving...any advice to replace them? Or would it be good to use only bricks here instead of panels?

Thank you

Francisco

You can use any combination of smaller panels or bricks for replacement. The weight increase can be neglected. If you plan to add a 3rd floor, a winch in the front section with an additional motor, an extra floor in the middle section to mount all the batteries, etc. as you can see in some of the modifications done by others in this thread - that's adding much more weight to the sandcrawler then replacing all the panels with bricks. Another idea for you to consider is to buy 2-4 instances of the 10144 sandcrawler on eBay. That sandcrawler has 16 of the required panels per instance and many other useful brown and dark orange parts (the first 1044 gives you around 800 parts for this MOC). 

Edited by dungeonkeeper3
correction