Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

For the Powerfunctions-Part i would suggest some modding aswell.

I used 2 Battery boxes for the 4 XL-motors for the driving gear. The 2 motors on the left and the 2 on the right are connected with switches directly to one box each pair. So no ir receiver for this part. The 2 switches, one for left tracks and one for the right tracks are controlled by 2 servo-motors which are connected to an ir-receiver. That constallation allows me to drive and stear with only one receiver and only one controller. I can  make a picture if you are interested in how it looks like.

You don't need the  2 servo motors! you can run the 4 motors over one receiver! 2 motors on each of the outputs! Left side, right side with one controller, so it drives and steers! The other receiver's are for the other functions!

Did you try it for a longer time? Usually the 4 motors are too much for the one receiver! One receiver can only manage 9v which means you need atleast 2 with this setup cause you cant put 2 boxes on one receiver. I am using 4 boxes in my crawler. 

I'm using 1 Akku (8878) with 1 receiver for the 4 motors and it works without any problem! I also tried it with 2 receivers/akku's but couldn't see any difference! So I ended up with 1 receiver and 1 akku!

I tried it for a few minutes, from one room to another....something like that! And to be honest I don't need much more.

I'm using 3x Akku's (8878)

I use 1 receiver for all four motors, 1 receiver for the ramp and conveyor belts, the lights are either on or off. The last receiver is for the crane when fitted. all 3 receivers are mounted on top behind cockpit with the ir receiver behind the 1x2 grill tiles.

Im starting with the build. Few questions:

1) How much working hours did u guys spent on building this model ?

2) Is there any change/update in the instructions that is critical ?

3) Are those reddish brown panels needed because of the geometry or are those mainly used to save weight ? Can i just use bricks instead ? It seems to me that yes, i can use 1x4 bricks instead which i have lot more than needed according to the part list.

BTW its really better to buy the instructions before starting to order all parts - many parts can be replaced by others, i try to use as much already owned material as possible.

Edited by STARHAWK

1. Difficult to judge really, but it took me about 5 months, including collating and setting up an inventory for all the parts.

2. Havent noticed any amendments, and only minor modding required of the top corner A frame connections.

3. Don’t think there any issues with swapping panels for bricks; indeed you may find this is the only way to complete it nowadays. As for the weight, the structure is pretty robust and should take the extra weight easily IMHO.

4. Might as well buy the instructions now I reckon, no point collecting the parts otherwise.  And anyway they are a quality piece of work, I actually enjoyed just flicking through them.

good luck, it’s extraordinary how good it looks when completed. 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, masseffect66 said:

Does anyone have any tips for connecting the cockpit front hull section? The section with the 4 ball joint plates and 4 socket plates. There's no effective line of sight or space for hand. The side triangle hull section swing inwards adding to the trouble.

The bottom two ball plates are attached to the hull section with only 1 stud and the socket plates are attached to the 3x3 plates with only 2 studs. The ball and socket doesn't move very well knocking the one stud off and slightest downward force and lack of hand movement knock the socket plates off. In addition the top of the hull section is only connected by two studs. Entire rest of the length isn't supported. I had to take some more 1x2 plates and stick them perpendicular for more support. Doesn't solve the other problems. Not very good design for this part for the hull section itself and the attaching of it. To many weak points. Not sure what could be done differently.

The bottom ball plates dont seem like they'll match up once side cockpit hull sections are in place. Ball plates aren't at wide enough places.

The instructions look wrong too for the side cockpit hull section. One side angles inward correctly and the other side doesn't.

Is there any mod's that help to connect the 3 hull pieces to the hull. I cant seem to line up the ball and socket plates that connect the front window section to the 2 large side pieces. These is also gaps when you connect the upper 2 side pieces with the 2x2 ball and socket joint with the larger side panel. I can seem to get them to connect correctly and they brake when I try to force. Any help with this would be appreciated. Cheers Sebastion

6 minutes ago, DWJ2018 said:

So you use the ball joint connector to connect the socket connector on the side panel to the ball joint on front panel of the cockpit. If this is correct, how many do I require for each side. It doesn't show this in the instructions. Is there any tips to match up the inverted slopes from the cockpit side panels to the slopes of the front side walls they are about 1 stud width out of alignment.

3 hours ago, cavegod said:

Yes you need 2, do you have a picture of the miss alignment?

IMG_28681.jpg

3 hours ago, cavegod said:

Yes you need 2, do you have a picture of the miss alignment?

I hope this helps. It wont let me upload files too large so I can't show you everything I was planning to as I am having trouble shrinking the size of the photo without loosing too much quality. I don't know what I have or haven't done as the build up to now was challenging but it all went fairly smoothly. Any help with this last problem would be greatly appreciated. If you need more photo's, I could e-mail them directly to you. Cheers Sebastion

5 hours ago, unclesebby said:

I hope this helps. It wont let me upload files too large so I can't show you everything I was planning to as I am having trouble shrinking the size of the photo without loosing too much quality. I don't know what I have or haven't done as the build up to now was challenging but it all went fairly smoothly. Any help with this last problem would be greatly appreciated. If you need more photo's, I could e-mail them directly to you. Cheers Sebastion

Use plate 3794b above and underneath 57909 (brick with ball) to move the upper side walls backwards by a half stud.

gallery_8754_6681_90870.jpg

Then it should look like that.

gallery_8754_6681_81085.jpg

Another small change...the red marked part is 4623 (plate 1x2 with arm up).

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?_refreshrnd=28541&P=4623#T=S&C=88&O={"color":"88","iconly":0}
The same part is used  at the same position on the other side wall, and between the two arms sits a rubber band!

gallery_8754_6681_62402.jpg

That closes the last gaps!

gallery_8754_6681_43742.jpg

Edited by bricksmarlin

4 hours ago, cavegod said:

Ill have alook at mine tomorrow as i dont have that issue.

Doing what Bricksmarlin suggested seems to have fixed the alignment issue but has raised another issue I am now having. The cockpit side panel wont angle in enough to meet up with the side panel. It seems to be stopped by the 3x12 wedge plate at the front of the cockpit. I will send some pictures to your e-mail address listed on page 1 to show you the issue I am now having as I can't seem to upload anymore pictures to this page. I cant thank you enough for your assistance with this. Cheers Sebastion

9 hours ago, unclesebby said:

Doing what Bricksmarlin suggested seems to have fixed the alignment issue but has raised another issue I am now having. The cockpit side panel wont angle in enough to meet up with the side panel. It seems to be stopped by the 3x12 wedge plate at the front of the cockpit. I will send some pictures to your e-mail address listed on page 1 to show you the issue I am now having as I can't seem to upload anymore pictures to this page. I cant thank you enough for your assistance with this. Cheers Sebastion

Are you able to post photos of your cockpit and the inside of the cockpit panels so I can compare them to mine. I believe something is wrong with mine but I cant seem to find what the mistake is. You can email them to me if needed.

My email is unclesebby001@gmail.com

Cheers Sebastion

Edited by unclesebby
Added info

9 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

Maybe I changed some 1x2 plates (dark orange) if they were used as 1x1's!
Everything else was built like it's shown in the manual!

https://www.imperiumdersteine.de/index.php?/gallery/image/107153-mg-5643/

I think I have solved the problem. The 1x2 Light Blue Slope added on page 296 was stopping the cockpit panel from achieving the required angle. I took them out and everything lines up perfectly. I just have to wait for the 1x2 ball joint connectors and then I should be able to finish this off. Thanks very much for your help. Cheers Sebastion

I haven't been able to build the past month. Seems like the position I was angling the front hull cockpit section was at the wrong angle. Front Hull Section would be angle to much inward and also go below the top of the Side Hinge Hull sections. When I moc hold it at the proper angle also goes below the top of the Side Hinge Hull Sections. In bricksmarlins pictures its lined up so i must be doing something wrong.

When I hold it at what I think is roughly right angle the ball plates have created a new problem. They dont reach the socket plates. Seem to be roughly an inch off. Ive looked at the instructions and my set and looks like Ive got the 3x3 plates at the right 1x3 slope on each side. 3rd from the bottom. The stability of those plates is still a problem. Tried to reinforce the ball plates on the front cockpit hull section. Its hard to reinforce things for the socket plates under the 3x3 plates. Ive tried to fiddle with it. Ive done something wrong with that too since cavegod, bricksmarlin and others have completed it.

Ive still got another problem with the angle Side Cockpit Hull sections. One looks to angle inwards correctly. Angle is wrong too. The other doesn't. Ive reviewed the instructions and my set. I think problem probably lies with those Side Hinge Hull sections. The top part. Those parts with the directions were difficult. Floating pieces or sections. Bad angles. I'm having to guess what studs to place stuff on. Pieces that just look wrong and shouldn't have been included. Ball and socket brick has a problem staying stuck to the cockpit too.

About the opening and closing landing ramp door. During the instructions it doesn't show the motor power function. Those gray and dark gray cylinders. I was impatient and didn't figure out than blasting through the build and half fun. Stupidly left in the hydraulic part for the doors when I skipped the power functions and mods for the treads. Same thing. Wanted to build. If I take one of my extra engines and hook it up to the gear box will it close the landing ramp? I dont see why not. I built the internal section completely so should be accurate. Otherwise Ill be stuck with an open door. Not a big deal. Still be cool if i can close it.

I took some pictures of my Front Cockpit and Front Side Hull section problems. I can take more pictures if necessary to solve these problems.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93103260@N02/

Edited by masseffect66

2 hours ago, masseffect66 said:

I haven't been able to build the past month. Seems like the position I was angling the front hull cockpit section was at the wrong angle. Front Hull Section would be angle to much inward and also go below the top of the Side Hinge Hull sections. When I moc hold it at the proper angle also goes below the top of the Side Hinge Hull Sections. In bricksmarlins pictures its lined up so i must be doing something wrong.

When I hold it at what I think is roughly right angle the ball plates have created a new problem. They dont reach the socket plates. Seem to be roughly an inch off. Ive looked at the instructions and my set and looks like Ive got the 3x3 plates at the right 1x3 slope on each side. 3rd from the bottom. The stability of those plates is still a problem. Tried to reinforce the ball plates on the front cockpit hull section. Its hard to reinforce things for the socket plates under the 3x3 plates. Ive tried to fiddle with it. Ive done something wrong with that too since cavegod, bricksmarlin and others have completed it.

Ive still got another problem with the angle Side Cockpit Hull sections. One looks to angle inwards correctly. Angle is wrong too. The other doesn't. Ive reviewed the instructions and my set. I think problem probably lies with those Side Hinge Hull sections. The top part. Those parts with the directions were difficult. Floating pieces or sections. Bad angles. I'm having to guess what studs to place stuff on. Pieces that just look wrong and shouldn't have been included. Ball and socket brick has a problem staying stuck to the cockpit too.

About the opening and closing landing ramp door. During the instructions it doesn't show the motor power function. Those gray and dark gray cylinders. I was impatient and didn't figure out than blasting through the build and half fun. Stupidly left in the hydraulic part for the doors when I skipped the power functions and mods for the treads. Same thing. Wanted to build. If I take one of my extra engines and hook it up to the gear box will it close the landing ramp? I dont see why not. I built the internal section completely so should be accurate. Otherwise Ill be stuck with an open door. Not a big deal. Still be cool if i can close it.

I took some pictures of my Front Cockpit and Front Side Hull section problems. I can take more pictures if necessary to solve these problems.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93103260@N02/

Bo offense: but if you read the Post just before or starten on page 5/6 People are talking Abort this and solved it... ;)

Well I’m at about 99% complete just waiting on my last brick link order to come in. This has truly been an awesome build, thank you Cavegod and Christian for making this a reality for all of us AFOLs.

43035097520_8c9ae9e19f_b.jpg

So I'm assuming right now aftermarket reddish brown pieces beat gold by value? :D Good job everyone building this and thanks for sharing great pics, so others can enjoy at least remotely!