Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

Some of those dark brown bricks are hard to find; I used dark brown inverted slopes 1X2 and just turned them sideways on, so you only see the back portion, i.e. the 1x1 side.

as for the replacement for the motors I believe it would be quite a simple mod, but maybe worth buy one to see how it would have to replicate the holes for the technic pins. 

On 6/27/2018 at 11:50 PM, gunslinger_gr said:

Hello to every one i am currently at 65% of the parts and have completed the lower section but i cant connect the side panels without motors have we found fix for that problem? 

I did mine without the bottom ones:

Used 2x 1x4 + 2x 4x6 to Put the sides together..  for back i Used longer Pins so they dont fall off:)

On 6/28/2018 at 8:22 AM, Ragni Norgrimson said:

Hell! This one was tough to find!

<snip> 1x1 Brick Dark Brown by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

Used 1x2 ;)

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote images

Yeah it is all a matter of weight. Panels vs. Bricks for example. Its over 200g difference in weight only for the Panels. Yeah they are small but the small numbers do add up really quick. 

I am still wondering about the motors. Marshal banana used 5 m-motors + 4xl. Here it was said earlier you need 6 xl. What is right? Is the xtra power needed for the big mouth to open and close? (Also I think the m-motors would be much lighter)

2 hours ago, muhkuh said:

I did mine without the bottom ones:

Used 2x 1x4 + 2x 4x6 to Put the sides together..  for back i Used longer Pins so they dont fall off:)

Used 1x2 ;)

If you have a picture it would be super extremely helpfull  :) :) :)

47 minutes ago, gunslinger_gr said:

If you have a picture it would be super extremely helpfull  :) :) :)

On saturday u will get one :)

the ability to build a massive sandcrawler is insignificant compared to the power of the force.

joking it is very impressive good job

Hello,

This is an incredible MOC! I've known of its existence for a while, but until seeing the BrickVault video, I had no idea that instructions were available. I'm a little confused because on Rebrickable, I found a second sandcrawler MOC at the same scale (MOC - SANDCRAWLER WITH FULL INTERIOR). Is this an older version? Is it Peter or Marshal's original version? Or is it completely unrelated? I did a comparison of the parts used and only less than half of the parts are shared. I'm leaning towards buying both instructions and taking techniques from both, but I'm unsure. What would you all suggest?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Andrew Archibald said:

Hello,

This is an incredible MOC! I've known of its existence for a while, but until seeing the BrickVault video, I had no idea that instructions were available. I'm a little confused because on Rebrickable, I found a second sandcrawler MOC at the same scale (MOC - SANDCRAWLER WITH FULL INTERIOR). Is this an older version? Is it Peter or Marshal's original version? Or is it completely unrelated? I did a comparison of the parts used and only less than half of the parts are shared. I'm leaning towards buying both instructions and taking techniques from both, but I'm unsure. What would you all suggest?

Thanks

My suggestion:

cavegods exterior and the other ones interior. 

16 hours ago, muhkuh said:

My suggestion:

cavegods exterior and the other ones interior. 

I agree with this.  I remember seeing this on rebrickable and thought the interior was fantastic.  This version was on rebrickable before the instructions for Cavegod's was available, IRC.

31 minutes ago, sandtrooper said:

I agree with this.  I remember seeing this on rebrickable and thought the interior was fantastic.  This version was on rebrickable before the instructions for Cavegod's was available, IRC.

Yep it was. I already build cavegods sandcrawler, but I think the Interior is sadly not finished in this moc.

When iam done makin the big tyrant star destroyer of rask on ldd and building it, I will take apart cavegods model and do some adjustments for the interior :)

But nevertheless this moc has the best exterior design and i love it:))) Ty to cjd and Cavegod:)

Why do so many parts appear in reddish brown and in brown? Is it to give the sandcrawler a bit of a weathered look? Or is it a mistake because the brown parts are usually low quantities relative to the reddish brown. From the pictures I've seen of all your builds, the brown parts look ugly mixed with the reddish brown parts. I do admit that it looks good in LDD with the mixed browns.

2 hours ago, Andrew Archibald said:

Why do so many parts appear in reddish brown and in brown? Is it to give the sandcrawler a bit of a weathered look? Or is it a mistake because the brown parts are usually low quantities relative to the reddish brown. From the pictures I've seen of all your builds, the brown parts look ugly mixed with the reddish brown parts. I do admit that it looks good in LDD with the mixed browns.

I think the brown and dark brown are good for the weathered look. If you compare to pictures of the movie its close to perfect where the different coloured spots are. Ofc the brown does not work as perfect as the dark orange, butits the only colour that is close to red. brown. 

Feel free to build a not so weathered version with more red brown parts. Escecially with the dark orange it will be much cheaper with red. Brown only. 

The dark orange spots are just on the top of the crawler btw. because the jawas place the crawlers in canyons while heavy sandstorms, so the heavy storms are only scratching the surface of the top of the vehicle ;)

Edited by Ragni Norgrimson

Sandcrawler WIP

Here is my progress so far. Changed the Interieur a bit with the balcony part on the right and the conveyor belt on the left side of the big front room. Also I had to jump a little bit within the instructions because parts arriving not in order. Also I figured out better to mount some things first cause especially the front hatch is hard/nearly impossible to mount once the thing is done.

10 hours ago, gunslinger_gr said:

Can someone please tell me how many small tracks i need for the belt? 

The brickvault parts list and ldd files dont use them.

I think you need 170 elements/parts for the conveyor belt!

30 for each of the 2 shorter ones and 55 for each of the the longer ones!

On 6/2/2018 at 9:28 AM, bricksmarlin said:

Interior almost done!

Yesterday I finally found a good solution for the wiring of the front lights! :tongue:

The next step is the installation of the ceiling and further lighting!

brickmarlin do you have part list for your third floor if you dont mind me asking? Looks good. I'm up to the entrance section in the instructions. I'm buying the tread links for that mod too. Your pictures are really good. I would be nice to know exact numbers of parts to save money on shipping and easier to build through it and work out any problems with having set number of parts. Not as much guess work.

Sorry didn't mean to clog the post with the pictures. I just went back and did a test quote and looks like pictures can easy enough be deleted. I should have looked closer.

Edited by masseffect66
No need to quote the whole post with images.

Brickmarlin what hoses did you use on the upper section of the engines? Not the flexible whips on the side, but the two curved pieces in the middle of the top engine section.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:39 AM, masseffect66 said:

brickmarlin do you have part list for your third floor if you dont mind me asking? Looks good. I'm up to the entrance section in the instructions. I'm buying the tread links for that mod too. Your pictures are really good. I would be nice to know exact numbers of parts to save money on shipping and easier to build through it and work out any problems with having set number of parts. Not as much guess work.

Sorry, no part list! It's not designed in LDD, just trial & error!
But I can try to summarize the most important!

9 hours ago, DRK said:

Brickmarlin what hoses did you use on the upper section of the engines? Not the flexible whips on the side, but the two curved pieces in the middle of the top engine section.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x169#T=S&amp;C=88&amp;O={"color":"88","iconly":0}

7 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

Sorry, no part list! It's not designed in LDD, just trial & error!
But I can try to summarize the most important!

Thanks I'd appreciate that. Few of the pictures show off the walls really well with the different modified bricks, modified plates and the grilles. The plate layers under the railings I can see faint seems so guess I can trial and error that for right with. Is it just one wall thick of bricks? Went back to page 7 the one picture looks like it is. The side view from the right side.

Edited by masseffect66

Well after some thought I went ahead and procured the instructions for this awesome MOC. I am now at about 99% on purchasing parts, luckily I already had a little over 3K parts so it lessened the price by about $500 from everyones estimate. It has been a little frustrating trying to find some of the parts as some are no longer available on Bricklink others are extremely expensive. right now I’m waiting on all my orders to come in before I start building. I’ll give updates as I progress.

4730A441-963F-4AAF-BA54-14E9EC6E2509

Finished. Most enjoyable out of all my sets; huge thanks to Cavegod for releasing it and thanks for the decent instructions too. 

Does anyone have any tips for connecting the cockpit front hull section? The section with the 4 ball joint plates and 4 socket plates. There's no effective line of sight or space for hand. The side triangle hull section swing inwards adding to the trouble.

The bottom two ball plates are attached to the hull section with only 1 stud and the socket plates are attached to the 3x3 plates with only 2 studs. The ball and socket doesn't move very well knocking the one stud off and slightest downward force and lack of hand movement knock the socket plates off. In addition the top of the hull section is only connected by two studs. Entire rest of the length isn't supported. I had to take some more 1x2 plates and stick them perpendicular for more support. Doesn't solve the other problems. Not very good design for this part for the hull section itself and the attaching of it. To many weak points. Not sure what could be done differently.

The bottom ball plates dont seem like they'll match up once side cockpit hull sections are in place. Ball plates aren't at wide enough places.

The instructions look wrong too for the side cockpit hull section. One side angles inward correctly and the other side doesn't.

Edited by masseffect66