Cjd223

(MOC) - Cavegod's UCS Sandcrawler

11 x 30359b reddish brown - really rare!
1 x 30236 reddish brown - really rare! only 10 for sale, all from USA - otherwise available in brown!
79 x 4740 reddish brown - really rare! also rarely in brown!
10 x 2429c01 reddish brown - super expensive (5 € per part)
93 x 4215b reddish brown - super rare, only one store in Europe has the number of pieces, and only once!
1 x 2536d reddish brown - very rare, otherwise available in brown
2 x 30384 reddish brown - very rare in Europe, in the USA no problem

Edited by bricksmarlin

30359b no its not very plentiful!

30236 its a mistake, should be 1x2 plate with handle

4740- plentiful on bricklink

2429c01 -yep 

4215b- you can use any panel or just use 1x4 bricks.

2536d- i only had 1 brown will work fine

30384 - use 92279 

Thanks again!
I have already ordered all of the rare stuff!
Approximately 3000 parts are still missing, but nothing rare or expensive anymore! (I hope :wink:)
The rest will be ordered next month!!

18 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

79 x 4740 reddish brown - really rare! also rarely in brown!

they are available at "Bricks & Pieces" 10cent per piece.

Hi, Bricksmarlin.  I think I'm doing something wrong.  I went to Lego's Bricks & Pieces and entered 4740 at the purchase tab, but didn't come up with anything.  I have to know the element id.  Can you tell me how to find it.

Many kind regards for the info.

Edited by corellian_egr
wrong part number.

23 minutes ago, corellian_egr said:

Hi, Bricksmarlin.  I think I'm doing something wrong.  I went to Lego's Bricks & Pieces and entered 4740 at the purchase tab, but didn't come up with anything.  I have to know the element id.  Can you tell me how to find it.

Many kind regards for the info.

Element 4660435

got 11.600 pcs...

the last 400 are driving me nuts.... didnt expect to be that hard to get the last pcs...:/

is there anyone who has bought everyhting yet?

Not yet, but working slowly towards it; which parts are causing you grief out of curiosity? Colour based, or just an issue getting the quantity verses brickstores? 

both... but i think the main problem is the shops in europe cant offer the quantity needed

using autoselect i get around 60 shops (union) ... thats crazy... if i would take a certain shop, i reach 80% of the last 400 pcs, but it would cost me over 500 euros...-.-

@just for the next time mocers/designer sell this to public it would be nice if they check the part list for ERRORS and expensive PARTS ... no offense at you cjd but for 60$ i expect a list with no errors.

i hope ill finish this journey of partsearch soon:D

I'm gathering all the rare parts, but there's one that puzzles me in the rare parts list that Bricksmarlin kindly posted on 3/12.  I tried to locate part 50990a in the sandcrawler parts list, but couldn't find it.  There are some shops that do carry it, though.

So, is the part really needed?

i believe the key to this MOC, is to be a little flexible where you can, and swap parts that are not structurally integral but will achieve the over all look and feel of the intended vehicle. I’ve been searching for parts for the last couple of weeks, and have become more strategic over trying to achieve every item with as little postage as possible. I found about £280 worth of bricks on the lego website which were cheaper than BrickLink, albeit of the more main stream colours, ultimately saving on postage cost, which no matter how much you try to perfect the MOC, will be a significant factor in overall cost. Having built the ATAT by Cavegod, I know that the level of detail and ‘greebling’ are worth the extra trouble when you can, but sometimes it’s just not possible. 

19 hours ago, corellian_egr said:

I'm gathering all the rare parts, but there's one that puzzles me in the rare parts list that Bricksmarlin kindly posted on 3/12.  I tried to locate part 50990a in the sandcrawler parts list, but couldn't find it.  There are some shops that do carry it, though.

So, is the part really needed?

Yes there’s 2 of them, dbg or lbg may work, theres plenty on bricklink though.

On 20.3.2018 at 6:20 PM, cavegod said:

Can we have a list of errors so we can correct them?

example...: reprickable list: 2x43093 ... instruction 8 -> 8 needed... there more i will post a list when iam complete building the whole thing.

14 hours ago, muhkuh said:

example...: reprickable list: 2x43093 ... instruction 8 -> 8 needed... there more i will post a list when iam complete building the whole thing.

Could this just be a simple mold preference? 43093 is a different number and functional compatible with 3749. 

18 hours ago, cavegod said:

I've just checked the LDD there is 10 blue and 2 tan.

So pls tell us people to use the ldd in Order to make our own List instead of using the one cjd send us. This is no offense but i started to build This moc and at beginning i had already 10 parts missing... :)

22 minutes ago, muhkuh said:

So pls tell us people to use the ldd in Order to make our own List instead of using the one cjd send us. This is no offense but i started to build This moc and at beginning i had already 10 parts missing... :)

A list of this parts would be nice!

On 20.03.2018 at 5:57 PM, muhkuh said:

both... but i think the main problem is the shops in europe cant offer the quantity needed

using autoselect i get around 60 shops (union) ... thats crazy... if i would take a certain shop, i reach 80% of the last 400 pcs, but it would cost me over 500 euros...-.-

@just for the next time mocers/designer sell this to public it would be nice if they check the part list for ERRORS and expensive PARTS ... no offense at you cjd but for 60$ i expect a list with no errors.

i hope ill finish this journey of partsearch soon:D

As someone who designs instructions I can tell you that it is hell of a job to get everything right without any errors. LEGO modelling software, in general, is absurdly, totally awful. It feels like every program family has its own parts database and they're - obviously - not compatible. And it almost by design cannot be. You see, there are plenty of variants of pieces BrickLink does not differentiate, but since they are different pieces, when modelling, you have separate part models with separate indices. I don't have any exact part for example right now, but imagine something on bricklink with ID of 1234 would appear as 1234a, 1234b and - because why not - 9876, in ldraw-family programs. As far as I know, you always have to fix it eventually. 

I have had plenty of errors initially with just ~700pcs tie fighter. They are all fixed by now, but boy did it cause headache... I made prototypes in LDD and then ported to mlcad; what I did not expect was sheer amount of parts existing in LDD but not in mlcad and vice versa. Since it seems Cavegod and Cjd223 too fell into the "ldd-mlcad compatibility trap", I can fully understand how a 12k+ parts model has some errors. If you buy even the most expensive car it is bound to have those little tiny production glitches too. The proper course of action is to notify the designer/author about the mistake, they will happily help you with resolving it and fix the instructions.

As for rare parts this is another thing I still wonder how to tackle. You can have either a "perfect" model with rare parts, or a compromise using cheaper ones. Which one would you have sitting on your desk? I bet the perfect one...