This lego great ball contraption miniloop uses a Cardan mechanism to lift the marbles up, after that they role down the strings and back to the start again. It is very reliable and can be powered by a motor or a hand crank. If you want the free video instructions they are here.

Lego GBC Cardan Lift Moniloop PhotosLego GBC Cardan Lift MiniloopLego GBC Cardan Lift Moniloop Photos

really compact mechanism! definitely the smallest Cardan Lift I've seen!  wonder what several of these chained together might look like?

11 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

really compact mechanism! definitely the smallest Cardan Lift I've seen!  wonder what several of these chained together might look like?

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have enough of the pieces used to offset the 12 tooth gear by half a stud to build more of them.

I never know what to say about GBCs, the idea, the development and especially the final adjustment process have to be exhausting, is the idea the most difficult part of a GBC?.

A great Mini GBC, found your YouTube building instructions but they are a bit hard to follow.

Can you post the link so others can easily find them.

Doug

8 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

I never know what to say about GBCs, the idea, the development and especially the final adjustment process have to be exhausting, is the idea the most difficult part of a GBC?.

I have not found that to be the case. I have a list of ideas as long as your arm. Rather, I've found that the hardest bit is making those ideas standards-conformant and reliable. Of course, if you're doing standalone things like this one, then standards conformance is not an issue.

Owen.

Ditto... I have about 20-30 ideas I want to build... some are copies of others.. some are originals.. yet to be tested in real life

just not enough time!!

18 hours ago, Doug72 said:

A great Mini GBC, found your YouTube building instructions but they are a bit hard to follow.

Can you post the link so others can easily find them.

Doug

Yes, they are here: 

Sorry they are so hard to follow, I have never been very good at making instructions.

18 hours ago, Captainowie said:

I have not found that to be the case. I have a list of ideas as long as your arm. Rather, I've found that the hardest bit is making those ideas standards-conformant and reliable. Of course, if you're doing standalone things like this one, then standards conformance is not an issue.

Owen.

I think it depends on who you ask, I personally find coming up with new ideas the hardest part.

Very nice.  Instructions seem to take the fun out of reverse-engineering it.  :wink:

I don't care too much for GBC instructions... just a few, nice clear, well lit photos from all angles are usually enough to reproduce 'enough' to get you by...

and yes.. Reverse Engineering is fun!

Very nice mechanism! I understand the neck brace to create room between the Technic cam and the liftarm L5 but it lets the gears slip in my build. Nevertheless I would like to use the liftarm mechanism in a somewhat modified way to make a serie of arms passing on balls if you permit. Of course I'll give you credit for the arm mechanism.

Very nice mini GBC! Thanks for the instructions, it is definitely on my to do list.

Andy D

4 hours ago, Andy D said:

Very nice mini GBC! Thanks for the instructions, it is definitely on my to do list.

Andy D

Thanks! I would love to see photos if you do make one :)

19 hours ago, Berthil said:

Very nice mechanism! I understand the neck brace to create room between the Technic cam and the liftarm L5 but it lets the gears slip in my build. Nevertheless I would like to use the liftarm mechanism in a somewhat modified way to make a serie of arms passing on balls if you permit. Of course I'll give you credit for the arm mechanism.

Thanks Sawyer for an amazing Mini GBC  module - which I am now building. Had to rob a Lego train for the spacer !

Mine will be multi coloured due to a limited range of parts.

Built as per instructions but gears slip / drop as arm rotates back down to collect the next ball.
I may have found the reason.

There is a possible error in the instructions at page 27. Sea photo At page 28
Instructions show the link arm with the bachkpack spacer attaching BELOW the axle for the swinging 24T gear whereas the photo shows it is ABOVE the axle.

Which is correct ?

Tried in both positions with & without spacer and seems best with spacer and ABOVE axle and now appears to be working OK when tested by hand.

40545623612_92e2a07878.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Hi Doug72, thanks for noticing the mistake.

I'll fix the building instructions to have it ABOVE, which should indeed be the correct position.

regards

22 minutes ago, turbopolofr said:

Hi Doug72, thanks for noticing the mistake.

I'll fix the building instructions to have it ABOVE, which should indeed be the correct position.

regards

Many thanks for the excellent instructions,

This is a cool little module. Aside from the spacer no rare or difficult parts as far as I can tell. Just need to get me some balls :laugh:  Thanks for sharing!