Capt Wolf

[ESL A-MRCA] Expedition to the New Haven Sea

@Capt Wolf

Isle 2 

Isle 2 was small, and Calvo's men soon had identified everything of interest on the island, avoiding the primitive native tribes.

With everything compiled, the expedition said their farewells to the Carnians still working on repairs, and made ready to make way once more. (Island information and rumours pm'd)

Options:

Pick a destination for this half of the expedition. (One build required showing the expedition making its way.)

Isle 5&6

Merker followed the path from the bridge into isle 5. There, they found a native village, but at the sight of outsiders, the natives fled, seemingly disappearing. Merker opened the door to a small hut, and noticed a trapdoor. 

"Must be hiding in caves" muttered a sailor. "Didn't we see sea caves coming in? Maybe they connect?"

Merker walked back out. Kate had pulled out a map of the islands. "Well, from the sea, we have several landmarks identified."

Options:

Isle 5:

• Follow the natives into the caves
    • The Sea Caves connect to the village somehow, perhaps you should explore them. Perhaps you will be able to make contact with the natives.
      1 build required showing the cave exploration. 
  • Make camp nearby, leave a gift for the Natives, and restock on provisions. 
    • Show the expedition making camp to await the return of the natives. (100 dbs will be deducted from adventure treasury)

Isle 6:

• The Great Statue
    • A large statue that a native village sits under. Perhaps they won't flee when you approach. 
    • This will give you information about Isle 6, and allow you to begin exploring it. It may give you information on Itasca.
      • 1 build required, showing the statue. (Can be a microbuild)
  • Itasca's lost ship
    • A wrecked ship located on the reefs on the south side of the island
    • This will get you closer to Itasca's treasure. and perhaps some other rewards.
      • 1 build required showing the remains of the ship. 
  • Kingeaters shrine
    • A shrine where a ritual is performed. 
    • This will do something, for better or for worse. It will help with Itasca's treasure. But is it worth it?
      • 1 build required showing the shrine. 

==================================================================================

1 build required to continue. If Calvo's fleet joins the expedition on isle 5 & 6, two of the options there can be taken, otherwise, only one is possible.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, Mesabi said:

Isle 2 

Options:

Pick a destination for this half of the expedition. (One build required showing the expedition making its way.)

Calvo and his men were back on board, and he and Janszen discussed what was next.

janszen_n_calvo_1a.jpg

"Have we got everything on board?" asked Janszen.

"Yes sir," replied Calvo. "Samples of various plants have been stowed away, and the men and their equipment is secure." After a pause, Calvo added "Where to, now?"

Janszen gave Calvo a knowing look. "That's the question I've been turning over in my head. You and your men have been doing tremendous work on the islands, but we haven't reached the number of islands I had hoped to reach by now."

"I must admit, exploration of these first two islands has taken me longer than expected as well. But the discoveries have been worth it. Our relations with the natives of the first island, in particular, will pay dividends when we establish a settlement."

"Yes, that was some fantastic work on your part, Calvo."

"Thank you sir. But as you have said, their is more out there. I'd really like to get much farther south and have a look at the little island cluster northwest of El Oleonda. The Carnians were pretty tight-lipped, which makes me think they've found something valuable down there."

"I agree," replied Janszen. "But I'm concerned about Captains Bloenhardt and Merker and their group. They don't have anyone with your experience on land, and I don't like having the expedition split up."

"So what do we do?"

"We head for islands 5 and 6. With two islands to explore, they should still be in the vicinity. We'll rendezvous with them, assess their discoveries, and send back a ship to report to Guilder. From there we can proceed to new islands."

Calvo nodded in agreement. "I'm sure Guilder is anxious to hear something of our progress."

"Indeed, I'm sure he is." Janszen turned to his sailing master. "Make sail, and send word across to the other ships! We will rendezvous with the Colonial Storm and Nightwing. Heading due east for now.

----

Meanwhile...

On 11/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, Mesabi said:

Isle 6

Options:

• The Great Statue
    • A large statue that a native village sits under. Perhaps they won't flee when you approach. 
    • This will give you information about Isle 6, and allow you to begin exploring it. It may give you information on Itasca.
      • 1 build required, showing the statue. (Can be a microbuild)
  • Itasca's lost ship
    • A wrecked ship located on the reefs on the south side of the island
    • This will get you closer to Itasca's treasure. and perhaps some other rewards.
      • 1 build required showing the remains of the ship. 

==================================================================================

If Calvo's fleet joins the expedition on isle 5 & 6, two of the options there can be taken.

Captain Bloenhardt gauged the mood of his men. "If you're thinking what I think you're thinking," volunteered Captain Merker, "I don't think the men are particularly interested in exploring caves with natives hiding in them."

"Perhaps you're right," replied Bloenhardt. "Let's assemble a group to investigate the village on the southern island and get a closer look at that statue."

"Captain, may I suggest two groups?" offered Jack. "For safety. Rather like not putting all our eggs in one basket."

"I see your point. I'll take one group around the north side of the village, and you scout it from the south. We regroup back here."

Jack had a glint in his eye. "Excellent, captain!"

---

Bloenhardt's group worked their way to the top of a ridge overlooking the village.

shrine1a.jpg

What they saw now was stranger than what they could make out from the sea.

shrine3.jpg

In a clearing, small round huts surrounded a giant statue more than 30 feet tall. But a statue of what, they weren't sure. Perhaps some sort of bird-man. It was made of stone, except for the arms/wings, which looked to be sculpted from some translucent mineral. The construction of the village didn't suggest the technology to create such a statue. And there was nothing to suggest that the statue was carved from material that was already present. A different society must have created this long ago.

"Captain, natives," pointed out one his men. "We should get back to the ship."

"Yes, let's make our way back quietly."

---

Merker, however, wasn't interested in the statue or the village.

"Jack, the village was that way. Where are you headin'?" asked Kate.

"Darling, I want to check out that shipwreck. I find Itasca's treasure far more interesting than some old statue, don't you?"

"I can't argue with that!" exclaimed Kate.

Jack and Kate worked their way down to the shore. It was low tide, and the wreck was fully exposed. They could even walk across the reef to investigate the wreck and not get too wet, if they were careful.

shipwreck1c.jpg

"How'd you get over there?" asked Kate.

"Oh, just duck around back there. And watch out for the eels."

"Lovely..." Kate muttered under her breath. As she made her way inside the wreck, Jack let out a gasp.

"What? What is it?"

Jack looked lovingly on a chest. Kate looked at the chest, and then at Jack. "It ain't gonna be that easy, Jack. It ain't no treasure chest!"

shipwreck2c.jpg

"Well, we'll see. I certainly intend to find out!" Jack reached down to open the chest, and ... ???

---

Some additional pictures of the wreck:

Spoiler

shipwreck1.jpg

shipwreck2.jpg

Hahaha I love it how Jack and Kate are based on two famous Black Sails characters :laugh:

Great job with this AMRCA! Keep on continuing!

26 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

I love it how Jack and Kate are based on two famous Black Sails characters

Aren't they famous real life people? Although I'll accept they look like the Black Sails versions.

6 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:
7 hours ago, Maxim I said:

I love it how Jack and Kate are based on two famous Black Sails characters

Aren't they famous real life people? Although I'll accept they look like the Black Sails versions.

Technically, they're based on the fictional Black Sails portrayals of two real-life people. Regardless, thank you for noticing! That show was so much fun, and those two are very fun to write for in the BoBS setting.

7 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Hahaha I love it how Jack and Kate are based on two famous Black Sails characters :laugh:

I second that,those minifigs are stunning... a striking ressemblance with two black sails characters for sure (Jack is killer !!)

And the wreck is good too, so is the micro village with the forced perspective !! Well done :thumbup:

@Capt Wolf

Jack and Kate recovered some rotting parchment from the chest, along with a rusty sword, and some other discarded trinkets. They took what they could back to the ship, and in the captain's cabin, they deciphered what they could. 

Based on the scraps, The Treasure seemed to be hidden in the remains of a wooden fort that had been built by Itasca's crew. The remaining scraps included a page with the phrase "Don't go to King Eater's shrine" written in blood 156 times, and a few pages detailing Itasca's descent into madness and cannibalism. 

The other part of the expedition were reviewing the findings from scoping out the village. Disturbingly, there was every sign of the natives being hostile. Human bones were scattered across the village, both in the waste, and used as decoration. Perhaps it would be best to avoid them...

With all the commanding officers on one ship, everyone was briefed, and a course of action could be picked. 

Options:

Isle 5:

• Explore the Sea Caves
    • Large Caverns can be seen from the ocean, and rowed into. 
  • Explore the inland
    • You will have to watch out for natives, but exploring the island was what we came for.

Isle 6:

• The Old Fort
    • Built out of wood 200 years ago, the fort is heavily rotted, and overgrown, Somewhere here, the treasure of Itasca is supposedly hidden. 
    • Show your expedition searching the fort.
  • King Eater's Shrine
    • A shrine where rituals are practiced. 
    • This could have disturbing, and painful consequences to your adventure. Or was that just the ravings of a mad man?

Onwards:

• The Horizon
    • Pick a heading for any or all of your ships. 
    • No builds required, but this takes one of your options. 

2 options may be taken this turn. 

MOC and story text to come. Choosing options "Isle 5: explore inland" and "Onwards: The Horizon"

8 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

MOC and story text to come. Choosing options "Isle 5: explore inland" and "Onwards: The Horizon"

Which ships stay and which continue (and towards where?)

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:59 AM, Bregir said:

Which ships stay and which continue (and towards where?)

After island 5 is explored, Colonial Storm and Nightwing will return to Fuerte Unido to report to Guilder; La Contessa de Victoria, Hidalga, Esmerelda, and Blood Diamond will head to Maldria.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, Bregir said:

Isle 5:

• Explore the inland
    • You will have to watch out for natives, but exploring the island was what we came for.

Calvo picked a spot along the coast and took the men ashore. The landing spot offered easy ingress to the island's interior, with low hills and light woods.

island5-1.jpg

Calvo directed his men to scout the immediate area before they traveled inland. And because the spot was near one of the many coastal caves, he directed some men to secure and stay with the boats. He also gave them direct orders not to enter the cave.

island5-2.jpg

---

On 2/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, Bregir said:

Onwards:

• The Horizon
    • Pick a heading for any or all of your ships. 
    • No builds required, but this takes one of your options.

Meanwhile, on the expedition's flagship, Captain Janszen gave Captains Bloenhardt and Merker new orders.

"I have compiled a report on our discoveries so far." Janszen handed over a sealed journal to Bloenhardt. "You and Merker will set sail in Colonial Storm and Nightwing. Deliver this to Willem Guilder or his representatives in Fuerte Unido. After that, return to these seas and explore island #4 northwest of here." Janszen looked at around at the captains of his other ships, then returned his gaze to Bloenhardt. "When you are done there, find us on the large island to the south, Maldria. Once Calvo is done here, I will sail La Contessa de Victoria and lead the rest of the squadron in search of the best anchorage on Maldria we can find. Once there we will establish a base of operations, as exploration of such a large island will take some time."

Around the cabin, Captain Pinzon of the Hidalga was excited at the prospect of establishing a base on Maldria. Captain Marino of the Esmerelda shared his enthusiasm. The captain of the Blood Diamond wasn't outwardly excited, but rather deep in thought as he contemplated the challenges that lay ahead and how they would tackle them. But, that was one of the reasons Janszen chose him for this mission.

Captain Merker's disappointment to be leaving this island group was clear, but he put up no protest. Jack leaned over to Kate. "Don't worry, my dear," he whispered in her ear, "we will return here to find Itasca's treasure. With Janszen and the troops on Maldria, it will be much easier to accomplish our task with only Bloenhardt in our way." ...

Awesome build, Capt!  The vegetation and terrain all looks amazingly natural, and I'm loving that cave and the cheese around the boat :wub:  I must say I'm not quite sure about that monkey sitting on top of the tree, though :grin:

@Capt Wolf

Island 5: Castor

Calvo's expedition into the inland of the island known as Castor had been a moderate success. They had managed to chart the most important features but had also had a few scruffs with the elusive, but surprisingly ferocious natives, leading to a few wounded men. (Island rumours sent via PM)

Now was the time to set out south for an anchorage. Where will the expedition establish their base of operations (indicate on map) and how permanent will it be?

Fuerte Unido:

There was some degree of celebration as the Nightwing and the Colonial Storm arrived in Fuerte Unido - and the crews found plenty of distractions in the taverns of the town. However, they had work to do. Show the meeting with Guilder or his representatives, and where they ships go next. Will Merker manage to convince Bloenhardt to split up, or does he have other plans?

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:31 AM, Bregir said:

Now was the time to set out south for an anchorage. Where will the expedition establish their base of operations (indicate on map) and how permanent will it be?

Can we get any rudimentary info about Maldria that is readily observable from the sea before choosing the anchorage? Are any rivers apparent? Is terrain and vegetation uniform or varied?

Janszen led his squadron of ships south and circumnavigated the island of Maldria before settling on a location to disembark. Maldria was a huge island, more than 600 miles across from east to west, and the trip around it was time consuming.

maldria.jpg

In the end, Janszen and Calvo determined that the best spot to establish a base was near where they had started: on the northern coast, at the mouth of what appeared to be the largest river on the island. The river flowed through two lakes very near the coast -- with a third lake only a few miles to the east -- and emptied into a sheltered bay that was a perfect anchorage.

maldria2.jpg

The river appeared to be navigable for some distance into the interior of the island, flowing down from the central hills through a lightly wooded fertile plain, with ample evidence of typical woodland animals. Both agriculture and hunting should be possible here, and the river and lakes provided plenty of fresh water. Perfect for a permanent settlement.

Janszen, Calvo, and a handful of men went ashore to survey the immediate area.

03_full.jpg

While Janszen pointed out a good location to establish the first permanent structures …

01_pointing.jpg

… some of the troops stretched their legs by kicking around an old pineapple they had brought with them, wondering if the annual Soccer Cup had yet gotten underway.

02_soccer.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

Show the meeting with Guilder or his representatives, and where they ships go next. Will Merker manage to convince Bloenhardt to split up, or does he have other plans?

Meanwhile, Bloenhardt and Merker found themselves in “hurry up and wait” mode, as it took a few weeks before Guilder arrived at Fuerte Unido. Once he was there, they secured some privacy at a small inn and discussed their plans.

01_three_men.jpg

Kate went upstairs and eavesdropped on the discussion from the balcony.

02_one_woman.jpg

The map of the New Haven Sea:

Spoiler

image.jpeg.afa50578024f7af4f660c0f113564983.jpeg

“Wonderful information here, men,” said Guilder. “Janszen and Calvo have done an excellent job. Well done indeed. Too bad Janszen couldn't get more information out of that Carnian captain, but now we know Carno is on El Oleonda." 

Guilder turned to the map on the table. “The report on island #1 – what did Janszen call it?”

“I think he said the natives call it ‘Ch’kara’,” replied Bloenhardt.

“Yes, Chiquara,” repeated Guilder with a slightly Eslandized pronunciation. “The two of you shall return to Chiquara with more men and supplies and establish a small settlement and trading post there.”

"Not much at island #2," said Guilder as he pointed vaguely at parts of the map. "Not the most reassuring report on the islanders there. And especially not at island #5! Tangling with those natives doesn't seem like it would be worth the cost."

"What about island #6? asked Merker.

"Ah, the rumored treasure has your eye, does it?" replied Guilder. "I must admit it intrigues me, but not enough to make it a priority. I figure it's not going anywhere. Har-har!"

Guilder moved his finger to point to another spot on the map. “But we don't know anything yet about island #4. Once the trading post is built and the MCTC personnel safely settled, you shall sail north to island #4 and see what it offers.” Guilder looked up from the map at both men. “Finally, once finished with island #4, find Janszen and consolidate the expedition on Maldria. If Janszen hasn’t sent a new report by then, have him do so.”

Guilder and Bloenhardt then began to go over the details for outfitting the return to Chiquara. An extra ship would likely be needed to transport the additional men and supplies for establishing the trading post and settlement. Merker excused himself from the tedious discussion and went upstairs to join Kate.

03_above.jpg

“Well, there go yer plans, Jack. Guilder don’t seem interested much in Itasca’s treasure. You’ll never get back there.”

“Kate, darling, have a little faith,” replied Jack. “You don’t think I can persuade Bloenhardt to let us split up? We’ll go explore island #6 and look for Itasca’s treasure over here …” Jack motioned with one arm, “… while he goes off to island #4 over there,” he finished, pointing the other way. “Then we’re out from under him and can keep any discovery to ourselves.”

“You think he’s gonna let you go off with half the crew?” Kate shot back incredulously. “Bloenhardt trusts you as far as he can throw you!”

“Luv, if I can’t persuade the old captain, I can certainly persuade the crew.”

Kate looked at Jack knowingly. “What’ve you got in mind, Jack?”

Jack raised an eyebrow and gave Kate a self-assured look …

A full look at the inn:

Spoiler

04_full.jpg

Great to see the expedition continue. You really want to colour the western New Haven Sea full green it seems! :pir-grin:

Nice builds to go with the story, I like the inn in particular. Looking forward to the next chapter already! :thumbup:

On 9/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Janszen pointed out a good location to establish the first permanent structures

And with much effort by everyone in the expedition, ship crews and troops alike, trees were felled and earthworks were created until a proper fort was constructed.

00full.jpg

Janszen and Calvo discussed what would come next...

07coversation.jpg

"You are to be commended, Captain," said Calvo. "You have worked wonders getting the men to pull together on such a hard endeavor. Fort Janszen is quite an accomplishment."

"Fort ... Janszen?" stuttered Pip.

"Don't look surprised," replied Calvo. You've earned this. Besides, it's what the men started calling it. There's no changing that now."

Pip sighed, resigned to the name. "Well, hopefully nobody will remember the name of the fort once the settlement is thriving. I shall call it 'Interlagos' -- due to its position near these lakes -- in my report. But names are unimportant. Now that construction of the fort is complete, you need to proceed with exploration of the interior."

"Absolutely! I have my team picked out. And the perimeter patrols we've sent out have already learned a lot about the local animal life and vegetation. The area around these lakes is a fantastic ecosystem. The river appears navigable for some distance, so i will set out by boat."

Meanwhile ...

On 9/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Guilder turned to the map on the table. “The report on island #1 – what did Janszen call it?”

“I think he said the natives call it ‘Ch’kara’,” replied Bloenhardt.

“Yes, Chiquara,” repeated Guilder with a slightly Eslandized pronunciation. “The two of you shall return to Chiquara with more men and supplies and establish a small settlement and trading post there.”

... Bloenhardt, Jack, and Kate, transported a host of men and supplies to the island of "Chiquara." There agents of the MCTC established a trading post to serve as a focal point for harvesting bananas and breadfruit, and for continuing to develop the friendly relationship with the island's blind, tree-dwelling natives.

04_main.jpg

It would take time to grow the new settlement of Chiquita, as Guilder had decided to name it, but the trading post was a good start. Regular trade runs to the island would help develop it into an important Eslandian foothold in the New Haven Sea.

Bloenhardt, Jack, and Kate left the new hamlet behind as they departed in the Colonial Storm and the Nightwing for the as-yet-unexplored island #4. Jack smirked as he thought about how we would finally get away from Bloenhardt and return to island #6 to search for Itasca's treasure. But for now, he had to wait...

On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Bloenhardt, Jack, and Kate left the new hamlet behind as they departed in the Colonial Storm and the Nightwing for the as-yet-unexplored island #4. Jack smirked as he thought about how we would finally get away from Bloenhardt and return to island #6 to search for Itasca's treasure.

Arriving at the island simply marked "#4" on the map, Bloenhardt had the Colonial Storm and Nightwing sail around the small island before settling on an anchorage. Bloenhardt, Jack, and Kate then led a landing party to shore to investigate the island.

4-1_full.jpg

Bloenhardt had chosen the landing spot hastily, and the beach was a relatively rocky, barren location. As he gave orders to members of the landing party, Jack reassured Kate that all was proceeding as planned.

4-4_jack_n_kate.jpg

The crew is with us, my dear. We will find out if this island has anything to offer, but barring any unforeseen circumstances, we will depart here in command of both ships. ...

-----------------------

Meanwhile, on Maldria, Janszen had given Calvo his orders. Calvo was to proceed up river as far as the Esmerelda could carry them. The Esmerelda has a small draft and was specifically picked for this expedition because it is excellent in shallow waters. Once forced to leave the river, Calvo and his men were to proceed overland southwest to one of the rivers on the south side of the island; Captain Marino would then take the Esmerelda back down river and around the coast to meet them at the mouth of those rivers (see map above).

Calvo and his men assembled on the Esmerelda, and they began the slow trek up river. Captain Marino had a deft hand and controlled the ship confidently. But it wasn't too long before the Eslandians made their first major discovery on Maldria: they were not alone. As the Esmerelda sailed around a bend, a canoe rowed toward them from a small tributary. Calvo readied himself for this first contact with native Maldrians.

canoe.jpg

20 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Just around the river bend?

Yes, around the river bend.