Spud The Viking

[COR - Cruisers of Terra Nova] HMS Paladin

Dear Rear-Admiral Fletcher,

It is I, Lord Spud, writing to inform you that the Brig 'Paladin' has been fully constructed.

The vessel can hold 18 armaments yet is currently equipped with 16. This is a small note and an order has been put into a foundry as I write this.

With this small detail aside, I present this ship wholly onto Her Majesty's Navy. The four-pounder guns are enough to match those pirates which roam the seas, I recommend making use of her lightweight, yet strong, hull to your advantage when using her. A perfect addition to a convoy and I hope that she sails well.

Yours sincerely,

Lord Spud

26585901968_44f3594b01_c.jpg

38646284670_d150b74d2a_c.jpg

38646275240_1abaf8b809_c.jpg

40412975282_0d58618ddc_c.jpg

38646281630_ea925fa56e_c.jpg

38646296830_6a114049d2_c.jpg

39560719295_3d472421ae_c.jpg

38646301150_ea58e58dbb_c.jpg

Captain Joshua inspects the ship, hoping he'll see some of the rewards for her construction, unlike Spud who wishes only to further enable Her Majesty's fleet

_____

Well, that took a while in finishing, don't blame me - blame my university for keeping on giving me work! If there's dust to be seen, see the previous sentence. I had a go at sails and more rigging but I couldn't bare threading and fidgeting with string so I did my best, however simple that may be. I also ran out of black 1x1 round bricks, hence the lack of rear guns. All excuses aside, I'm happy with how she turned out, I just have no room to put her anywhere now :pir-sceptic:

Edited by Spud The Viking

That's a nice ship Spud! Excellent portrayal of water too.

I also like the fact that the barge has a steering oar instead of a rudder. 

48 minutes ago, Bart said:

That's a nice ship Spud! Excellent portrayal of water too.

I also like the fact that the barge has a steering oar instead of a rudder. 

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

That's a nice brig with a nice shaped hull, well done !

Thank you!

That's a very impressive ship! I'm proud to have her added to our Navy!

I think you've managed the bow very well and the figurehead is a nice touch. Also the water around the ship really conveys the feeling of cutting through the ocean in a very simplistic, elegant way!

In terms of improvement I think you should add plates without studs as planks for the deck. I know it makes it harder to pose your figs, but in my opinion it's worth it, especially on ships.

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Beautiful ship Spud! She should serve the crown quite nicely!

Thanks. Rule Corrington! 

48 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

That's a very impressive ship! I'm proud to have her added to our Navy!

I think you've managed the bow very well and the figurehead is a nice touch. Also the water around the ship really conveys the feeling of cutting through the ocean in a very simplistic, elegant way!

In terms of improvement I think you should add plates without studs as planks for the deck. I know it makes it harder to pose your figs, but in my opinion it's worth it, especially on ships.

Thanks! Tiles would be great but I have few in tan, if I attempt another vessel I'll try using reddish brown.

That's a very nice brig you've got there. The overall shape is good, and you have plenty of details throughout the boat. The trans-clear pieces for water are great for the presentation, too. 

In the future, I suggest you consider adding some sails, even if they are just furled. Furled sails aren't too complicated, and helps make a ship look complete. 

Theres a lot of nice details in this ... The hull the swabbie the stays the bow 

I agree about the sails if you had all the sails but two tops clued up it would give a fine impression that she is actually pushing the water not the other way round... Which by the way is impressive the way you depicted.  A cut of blue felt would go a long way on that board too

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

5 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

That's a very nice brig you've got there. The overall shape is good, and you have plenty of details throughout the boat. The trans-clear pieces for water are great for the presentation, too. 

In the future, I suggest you consider adding some sails, even if they are just furled. Furled sails aren't too complicated, and helps make a ship look complete. 

Thanks! I'll possibly add sails at a later date but I just got fed up of trying to thread them, I'm just not patient enough :pir-grin:

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Theres a lot of nice details in this ... The hull the swabbie the stays the bow 

I agree about the sails if you had all the sails but two tops clued up it would give a fine impression that she is actually pushing the water not the other way round... Which by the way is impressive the way you depicted.  A cut of blue felt would go a long way on that board too

Thank you! Now that you mention it, blue felt would have looked a lot better, I'll keep this in mind (the board was only to allow easier transport).

A very nice brig, the custom hull is very well built, I like your capstan and the masts, and thse transparent studs around the ship. 

16 minutes ago, Bodi said:

A very nice brig, the custom hull is very well built, I like your capstan and the masts, and thse transparent studs around the ship. 

Thank you Bodi!

Very nice little ship @Spud The Viking. It really shows a fairly realistic looking cruiser. The Cannons turned out excellent. Let's hope she sees some active duty putting those Damned Sea Rats to the bottom  doing stuff!

On 2/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, Mesabi said:

Very nice little ship @Spud The Viking. It really shows a fairly realistic looking cruiser. The Cannons turned out excellent. Let's hope she sees some active duty putting those Damned Sea Rats to the bottom  doing stuff!

Thanks @Mesabi! What she does is now the Crown's business, but I would also like to see her bring down swift justice on criminals!

She turned out a great looking brig, Spud, and the Crown is honoured to add her to its numbers! May even be a command for captain Joshua in it... ;)

Her overall shape is really nice and I love all the details on deck. Presentation is good to with clear pictures from relevant angles and the transparent rounds add a lot to the scene. A uniform background (I use a cheap roller blind) and a blue sea underneath would do her good and I hope to see her rigged with sails at some point.

A suggestion in terms of the masts. Currently, she has polemasts, meaning her masts consist of a single spar. In reality, this would only be true for very small ships, some larger lateen rigged vessels like xebecs and perhaps native crafts. A brig would have each mast consist of three spars, divided in the tops (between mast and top masts) and cross-trees (between topmast and topgallantmast), similar to how your bowsprit and jib boom is divided.

The brick built boat is great too!

To Lord Spud,

My lord, on behalf of her Majesty I am granted the honour of passing her utmost gratitude for your service to the Royal Navy. The HMS Paladin will be a fine addition to the fleet, and in these times where pirates and freebooters abound, the Royal Navy will be in need of every vessel it can get.

We are, however, short on able officers, so should you be able to suggest me a suitable candidate, I may be able to oblige you.

Sincerely

Rear-admiral Fletcher

@Bregir

Dear Rear-admiral Fletcher,

I am writing to express my gratitude in this most welcomed invitation into Her Majesty's Navy. I have purchased my uniform and await my admission to the best naval training school in Her Majesty's colonies. I look forward to working with yourself and ensuring swift justice and protection of the convoys in the name of Her Majesty.

I thank thee again for your kindness.

Sincerely,

Captain Joshua.

@Spud The Viking

To Lieutenant Joshua,

You are hereby required and requested to proceed on board the HMS Paladin to take command and make her ready for sea.

I am to understand that you are already an experienced seaman, and that you have been in active duty in the merchant fleet?

The HMS Paladin is a commanders command, but as you are new to her Majesty's Royal Navy, you will be acting commander on a lieutenants commission until such a time where you have passed your trials at the naval academy and proven your abilities as captain. Then, you may, after satisfactory service, expect promotion to commander.

Please find enclosed your commission and a copy of the uniform regulations for Royal Navy officers. Further orders will follow.

Rear-admiral Fletcher

Commander-in-Chief

Royal Terra Novan Navy

I'm not sure how I missed this when it was originally posted, but it's a lovely brig! Great lines, brick-build masts and spars, and neatly rigged, topped off with a nice wake effect. Well done! :thumbup:

And congrats on Lt. Joshua's posting!