The American Club Racing (ACR) model was introduced in 1999, starting with the Viper GTS (Phase SR II).

39526543005_97d0ca8ec7_b.jpgExclusive 1 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

This model had suspension and engine enhancements focused on maximizing performance in road racing and autocross environments. Horsepower was bumped to 460 hp (370 kW) in these models, while torque increased to 500 lb·ft (678 N·m). Weight was reduced by over 50 pounds (23 kg) by stripping the interior and removing other non-essential items such as the fog lamps (replacing them with brake ducts).

26577352958_3ddd56f1c2_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR by lachlan cameron, on Flickr
In an attempt to stay true to its heritage, I've left this beast without bells and whistles in the name of speed.It sport a front clam shell hood, opening rear trunk, and spring back doors. The real catch here is in the speed and options. 

39552088055_09181ec0cf_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR by lachlan cameron, on Flickr
This Viper packs 2x Buwizz 2.0 (with Ludicrous mode) that power this monster directly to 2x Buggy motors. The gearing is accessible and can be swapped for a higher or lower gear in minutes. Ratios avail: 1:1 and 1:1.7.  This model also has many build options:

1. 1 or 2 buwizz /  1 or 2 Lipo / 1 or 2 Sbrick
2. 2 Buggy motor or 2 XL motor
3. Fully manual car (just remove the electronics
4. Swap out the engine on the fly for a new one!

26577356438_9cfb6fa816_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

The Viper also has a rake to it that I also replicated. 1 stud off the ground at the front, 2.5 studs at the rear.

39727431384_43b6dbbc92_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR- open hood by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Its been a pleasure playing with this car OUTDOORS (don't even think of play indoors, I smashed it over 10 times) and I hope you guys enjoy the video!

40448296161_175689952c_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

39737664464_44aa99a29f_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

38638010730_3e3b9856b4_z.jpgDodge Viper ACR - Overlay by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Dodge Viper ACR - Top overlay

Flickr Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeHa4rL
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/loxlego

Crash compilation: 

25588510327_a408ee5811_b.jpgDodge Viper - Crashes by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

I've been waiting for this topic!

It's an interesting take on the supercar, focusing on speed and performance over functionality but keeping a detailed exterior. Great job on the shaping.

When I saw it on the ice I thought it was a bit slow, but once it got on the "track" I was blown away.*oh2*

Terrific job, as always. 

Couple of things I like:

1- 2 BuWizz in Ludicrous mode?  2 RC motors? Sign me up.  Way to keep speed in such an iconic car (at the time) which (again, at the time) was really known for nothing more than having a huge engine.

2 - Optional variants in gear box, motors, batteries?  Great Job! Should make the building experience for others even more pleasurable. 

3 - Other than what I am about to share below, :sceptic:looks appear spot on. 

Only thing I don't like:

1 - Your overlay picture tells the whole story.  The only area the proportions are off is where the windshield and bonnet (or snout of car) meet.  This, in my opinion, leads to too sharp an ascent for the windshield and too long an appearance for the snout of the vehicle.  Even before I saw the overlay pics I felt something was off, and that pic solidified it.  Understandably, moving this connection up would perhaps interfere with where the engine is, and may have either precluding adding it or pushed it into the mechanics at the very front of the vehicle, but either way, I do think it interferes with the overall great look of this car. 

Other than that this is a great build!

I have been waiting a very long time for a super car using buggy motors!

I ? it except for one thing.  The hood.  @nerdsforprez mentioned the A pillar looked incarurate but I believe that is an illusion because of the windscreen which in the real car is curved and adds shape to the car.  Since there is no windscreen it looks like the A pillar is too sharp of of a drop and hood too long.

That may be part of the problem but I also think the hood swoops up from the front and then slightly back down before going straight.  To me that is what makes the shape look odd.

Very recognizable from any angle! Excellent idea having so many options to build it.

You continue to amaze me.

Thanks for sharing another great moc.   I appreciate the no frills focus on raw performance which is what Vipers are all about.

Kudos on designing with multiple setup options in mind as well!  

Love the shaping of the front especially the  functioning hood vents.  I'm sure the engine would go blow up without the extra cooling provided, especially in ludicrous mode. :)

Having seen the wip videos, your music covers up the sound of you running full tilt just to get out ahead of the car to film. Incredible speed.  Can't wait to see the videos of the crashes too!

My initial impressions of this car was also that it appeared to be too long.  However as previously mentioned it's because in the real car the windshield is massive and extends way forward of the a pillar.  In looking at your flicker pictures there is one photo of the top overlay where the bottom of the window frame may be a little too far back adding to the long appearance of the car.  Other that that I think your replicated the viper very well!  

Awesome work Lachlan!

It's fast and I like the rear end a lot! but I do have a few reservations about this model...

1. The front is too bulky and square, which is evident from the top blueprint overlay... Maybe try angling the light clusters with #3 connectors? Also I think it would help if the front end was a little simpler, personally I find it a little too busy. I think by having some oddly angled and smartly placed panels you can achieve the gapless look without so many pin connectors and liftarms.... :classic:

2. I'm not a big fan of all the 2L pin connectors over soft axles. I think it might help if you had naked flex axles instead, but ultimately this is your call since its your own design language.

3. The glasshouse seems a little off... I think its a combination of the top of the windshield being too straight and the bottom being too close to the middle of the car. Maybe try moving it by a stud or two and see how it looks?

Otherwise it looks SOLID and the back is beautiful :wub:

Edited by sm1995

Wow another car already? You build so fast!

I think you did a great job recreating a car that always looked like it would be very difficult to do. The performance you are getting out of it is also impressive!

The car looks great from most angles(especially the rear) but from the side view, I feel that it got away from you a bit. I think that you should have extended the front windshield side pillars forward more to give the illusion of a window(Or maybe used black axles or something)  because what you have now is a bubble shaped roof which is making the front end look much too long. I mean, I get it, there is supposed to be a window in that place, but it's just making the nose look longer than it should.

Dodge Viper ACR- side shot

2018-Dodge-Viper-side-view.jpg

Like sm1995, I also don't care for the pin connector(or liftarms) over the axles, but that is your signature style and when pictures of your cars get shared, everyone knows who did the work. And that isn't a bad thing. :thumbup:

Edited by Meatman

23 hours ago, BrianGT said:

Beautiful! 

19 hours ago, Jurss said:

Functionality is good, but front look is strange. Also rear looks good. 

23 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Absolutely mesmerizing!

21 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Oh, yes! :wub: Absolutely stunning! Another model well done!

Right on - Glad you enjoyed the car :)

23 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I've been waiting for this topic!

It's an interesting take on the supercar, focusing on speed and performance over functionality but keeping a detailed exterior. Great job on the shaping.

When I saw it on the ice I thought it was a bit slow, but once it got on the "track" I was blown away.*oh2*

23 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Beautiful model! And in my favorite color! Terrific job on all the details and styling. Keep up the great work!

Thanks @Offroadcreat1ons! That was exactly what I was going for - minimal design but full bodywork.

Thanks LM71Blackbird :)

23 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Terrific job, as always. 

Couple of things I like:

1- 2 BuWizz in Ludicrous mode?  2 RC motors? Sign me up.  Way to keep speed in such an iconic car (at the time) which (again, at the time) was really known for nothing more than having a huge engine.

2 - Optional variants in gear box, motors, batteries?  Great Job! Should make the building experience for others even more pleasurable. 

3 - Other than what I am about to share below, :sceptic:looks appear spot on. 

Only thing I don't like:

1 - Your overlay picture tells the whole story.  The only area the proportions are off is where the windshield and bonnet (or snout of car) meet.  This, in my opinion, leads to too sharp an ascent for the windshield and too long an appearance for the snout of the vehicle.  Even before I saw the overlay pics I felt something was off, and that pic solidified it.  Understandably, moving this connection up would perhaps interfere with where the engine is, and may have either precluding adding it or pushed it into the mechanics at the very front of the vehicle, but either way, I do think it interferes with the overall great look of this car. 

Other than that this is a great build!

Hey Nerds for Pres! As always I agree and welcome your comments. As Technic Addict and KD123 mentioned, the window A-frame is in the correct location, but due to the missing windshield the looks are a tough off. I could see if I move the the curved hood forwards a stud or two as seen in the top view overlay. Thanks again 

22 hours ago, madcow said:

Wait you made a car what a week ago. Dang, prolific to say the least great work. :thumbup: 

Cheers! And ya, its been at least a month :sweet:

21 hours ago, technic_addict said:

I have been waiting a very long time for a super car using buggy motors!

I ? it except for one thing.  The hood.  @nerdsforprez mentioned the A pillar looked incarurate but I believe that is an illusion because of the windscreen which in the real car is curved and adds shape to the car.  Since there is no windscreen it looks like the A pillar is too sharp of of a drop and hood too long.

That may be part of the problem but I also think the hood swoops up from the front and then slightly back down before going straight.  To me that is what makes the shape look odd.

Very recognizable from any angle! Excellent idea having so many options to build it.

You continue to amaze me.

Thanks for the kind words Technic Addict! I'm super glad you mentioned a buggy motor build to me about a year ago... its really stuck with me and I knew I had too at some point. I noticed there was enough room where I kept the buggy motors for XL so it was natural to try and incorporate both as buggy motors are SO  expensive. 

20 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Wow... :wub: I think this is your best yet, specifically because I love the performance here. Great work! :thumbup:

Thanks Leo! Performance was first and foremost when designing this one :)

20 hours ago, Moran said:

amazing. i wish the from wasnt so bulky and more smother.

Thanks. Its actually very hard to work around those wheel arches and light area, with what I had (and working around that removeable top) I made due. Cheers!

19 hours ago, KD123 said:

Thanks for sharing another great moc.   I appreciate the no frills focus on raw performance which is what Vipers are all about.

Kudos on designing with multiple setup options in mind as well!  

Love the shaping of the front especially the  functioning hood vents.  I'm sure the engine would go blow up without the extra cooling provided, especially in ludicrous mode. :)

Having seen the wip videos, your music covers up the sound of you running full tilt just to get out ahead of the car to film. Incredible speed.  Can't wait to see the videos of the crashes too!

My initial impressions of this car was also that it appeared to be too long.  However as previously mentioned it's because in the real car the windshield is massive and extends way forward of the a pillar.  In looking at your flicker pictures there is one photo of the top overlay where the bottom of the window frame may be a little too far back adding to the long appearance of the car.  Other that that I think your replicated the viper very well!  

Awesome work Lachlan!

Hey @KD123 - once again I really can't thank you enough for your helpful hints and ideas at the right timing of the build! Regarding the window I will try and push it forwards a stud or two... might provide the visualization required to get over the A-pillar location

17 hours ago, LvdH said:

Absolutely phenomenal build! I believe this is the fastest 1:8 scale Technic car I have ever seen. Also, being built in a very impressive one month's time, you are no doubt one of the quickest builders. 

THanks @LvdH! I personally have never seen Lego go that fast... it brought the biggest smile to my face!

3 hours ago, sm1995 said:

It's fast and I like the rear end a lot! but I do have a few reservations about this model...

1. The front is too bulky and square, which is evident from the top blueprint overlay... Maybe try angling the light clusters with #3 connectors? Also I think it would help if the front end was a little simpler, personally I find it a little too busy. I think by having some oddly angled and smartly placed panels you can achieve the gapless look without so many pin connectors and liftarms.... :classic:

2. I'm not a big fan of all the 2L pin connectors over soft axles. I think it might help if you had naked flex axles instead, but ultimately this is your call since its your own design language.

3. The glasshouse seems a little off... I think its a combination of the top of the windshield being too straight and the bottom being too close to the middle of the car. Maybe try moving it by a stud or two and see how it looks?

Otherwise it looks SOLID and the back is beautiful :wub:

Cheers mate!! I'll see if I can do something with the location of the curved flex axle on the hood...

3 hours ago, Meatman said:

Wow another car already? You build so fast!

I think you did a great job recreating a car that always looked like it would be very difficult to do. The performance you are getting out of it is also impressive!

The car looks great from most angles(especially the rear) but from the side view, I feel that it got away from you a bit. I think that you should have extended the front windshield side pillars forward more to give the illusion of a window(Or maybe used black axles or something)  because what you have now is a bubble shaped roof which is making the front end look much too long. I mean, I get it, there is supposed to be a window in that place, but it's just making the nose look longer than it should.

Like sm1995, I also don't care for the pin connector(or liftarms) over the axles, but that is your signature style and when pictures of your cars get shared, everyone knows who did the work. And that isn't a bad thing. :thumbup:

Thanks Meatman. It is nice to see the type of style I follow is something noticeable. 

I've made a lil left overs edit and posted to Flickr, if you're interested check it out.

Dodge viper ACR -flickr edit! - 3 mins

Edited by Lox Lego

V-10 Mopar power!!!  Great job and and It does look like the real deal!! I'm impressed!!  Convertible would look good also!!  

https://www.google.com/search?q=dodge+viper+orange&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS768US768&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8qsyzjcDZAhVI12MKHTkODOIQsAQIKA&biw=1600&bih=807

Edited by sirslayer
Drooling

On 2/24/2018 at 10:19 PM, sirslayer said:

V-10 Mopar power!!!  Great job and and It does look like the real deal!! I'm impressed!!  Convertible would look good also!!  

Ah yes - a convertible option. I was actually thinking of that as an option but I had got so busy with the other functions it kinda fizzled out. It would be easily modified for sure tho. 

On 2/25/2018 at 3:41 PM, kieran said:

That looks really good, the colour works very well in this shape 

Yeah Orange is generally a racy color for sports cars. I knew the wheel arches would work well so unfortunately yellow was a must...

im hoping the Bugatti will give us enough let’s to make a blue Viper :wub:

i took a few new photos with chrome bits today.

Dodge Viper ACR - All chromed out - chrome engine pistons, black chrome rims, red chrome hub caps and chrome exhaustDodge Viper ACR - All chromed out - chrome engine pistons, black chrome rims, red chrome hub caps and chrome exhaustDodge Viper ACR - All chromed out - chrome engine pistons, black chrome rims, red chrome hub caps and chrome exhaust

Edited by Lox Lego

On 2018-02-26 at 5:10 PM, AFOLegofan66 said:

Very awesome car @Lox Lego with a bit of juice this time around...can’t wait to build this!!!

Cheers ? @AFOLegofan66!

I’ve revised the front hood to have the front dash moved forwards. I’ll stick with this look as it does look much better. Thanks @nerdsforprez for pointing that out

Dodge Viper ACR- revised Hood designDodge Viper ACR- revised Hood design

Hey all! I've finished the instructions for the Dodge Viper ACR. 
This Viper packs 2x Buwizz 2.0 (with Ludicrous mode) that power this monster with 2x Buggy motors. The gearing is accessible and can be swapped for a higher or lower gear in minutes. Ratios avail: 1:1 and 1:1.6. 

Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-13655/Loxlego/dodge-viper-acr 

This model also has many build options:
1. 1 or 2 buwizz / 1 or 2 Lipo / 1 or 2 Sbrick
2. 2 Buggy motor or 2 XL motor for drive (see  photo below for XL motors)
3. Fully manual car (just remove the electronics)
Follow the instructions for each option. 

Please note: some axles get worn from the ludicrous power that is sent to the rear wheels :hmpf_bad:

38715672250_bdc51e0747_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR- revised Hood design by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

39053542190_5fe22805f2_b.jpgIMG_5379.3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

38924459150_e5826f82a7_b.jpgDodge Viper ACR - Custom seat design by lachlan cameron, on Flickr