SavaTheAggie

(Work in Progress) EMD F7A in 8-Wide

This design is heavily based on Nathaniel Brill's 20th Century Limited EMD E7 locomotive.  I've built it here in the Santa Fe Warbonnet livery, but I'll most likely be building it in another.

26523984898_b041e286d9.jpgSanta Fe Super Chief EMD F7A by Tony Sava, on Flickr

But why build it in the Warbonnet livery if you don't compare it to #10020?

40424256261_bf85598da1.jpg10020 vs MOC by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Hopefully I can start putting bricks together soon so I can iron out the unknowns.

--Tony

Excellent work, as always, those front windows got to be a pain to build, but gave the cabin the real look, well done!

Looks awesome Tony.  Excited to see how it works out for you in real bricks!  Dependent on color options, lot of possibilities for this bad boy!!!!

Looks amazing, I have one in 6 wide, this will be fantastic when complete and pulling a heavy load 

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Amazing work (as always Tony) ...are you planning to make also the B unit? :classic:

Not for a Super Chief, but definitely for the Texas & Pacific version I have designed.  I may build a Super Chief version, but it may be just to do it. 

On 2/25/2018 at 3:42 PM, Blk69 said:

Are you going to have a front coupler? Does look cleaner without (as you designed).  Looks forward to seeing some pictures when you have built

My original design had a front coupler, but then I recalculated my scale and noticed my engine was one plate too short.  Adding the extra plate changed how the nose worked with itself and I had to change it up - the shortcut being to remove the coupler.  However, I've come up with an idea that may allow a coupler after all, but will require working with real bricks to see if it works.

--Tony

Very nice locomotive, and a great improvement on the official model. Your train MOCs are always inspiring  and are what first drew me back into the world of LEGO trains.:thumbup:

Fantastic! It's very rewarding to see ones digital creation come to life. You really nailed this one!

Great job capturing the essence of the F7! Especially the "sad eyes" front windows. Hope to see some plans made available so that it can be "kit-bashed" into other road color schemes which are endless!

Love it!! It's funny how the nose has to be built different in each livery due to brick availability! More dark blue curved bricks have come out since I built my L&N E7's. I also drew on Nathaniel's design, and Shupp even helped me with the window glass bit. We should have a gather of the E/F 7/8's in all their various livery's! 8 wide of course. I might rework mine with a different nose and also rescale it. This was my first big MOC so I believe I actually scaled to 1/40. I might shrink them a bit and go with 1/48. Cheers!

My L&N E7's:

I couldn't decide if I should start a new topic, but since I don't have a large number of pics, I concluded here was best.

I have finished my EMD F7A, complete with stickers by Okbrickworks.

43556925912_92bce91292.jpgEMD F7A Santa Fe Warbonnet by Tony Sava, on Flickr

43556924312_8013e482f0.jpgEMD F7A Santa Fe Warbonnet by Tony Sava, on Flickr

I currently have no plans to make a matching B unit for this locomotive, this was more of a proof of concept.  However I am planning A+B locomotives and a full passenger consist in the Texas & Pacific "Texas Eagle" livery.

--Tony

4 hours ago, SavaTheAggie said:

I currently have no plans to make a matching B unit for this locomotive, this was more of a proof of concept.  However I am planning A+B locomotives and a full passenger consist in the Texas & Pacific "Texas Eagle" livery.

--Tony

Looking good (I like how you got the number boards in there and all the tricky curves on the nose/cab/windshield), and I'm looking forward to seeing the Eagle