Kai NRG

Swordsmanship Practice

Treasure!  The word had been magical; at the call of adventure and intrigue and a pile of shiny gold doubloons Guy K. Wyndzon had left his Secretary-of-State-ship, his head-of-the-MCTC-ship, and all other -ships which he possessed.  Besides, he was tired of the routine of urban life, tired of the tightrope of political strife - ready to strike out a new path.  Hard work, certainly, he expected.  Visions of himself hacking through underbrush, whacking at mosquitoes and wiping off beads of sweat haunted his daydreams.

But reality turned out to be worse.

Because, as Guy discovered all too soon, in these days of civilization, you can't just go on a treasure hunt.  First, you must receive a treasure-hunter's license; to do this, you must pass a treasure-hunting course, which requires special training in swordsmanship and the use of firearms; there's also a subsidiary course on how to best dig a hole while doing the least possible danger to the environment.  Then you must apply specifically for a license to treasure hunt in some particular area.  Fortunately, if you don't know exactly where you intend to hunt, there exists a blanket organization which, for a moderate fee, handles the paperwork between you and the several regional departments of the interior and exterior, except for a few recalcitrant departments that insist on doing things their own individual way - to which departments, of course, you must apply separately.  In order for your expedition to be approved, you must provide a detailed expedition plan which includes exactly the quantity of provisions you intend to take, the members of your expedition and their former employments, port of departure, intended port of return, date of departure, estimated date of return, and a list of five people to contact in case of emergency.  Some departments also require a list of arms and equipment.

Besides all that, you and anyone accompanying you have to pass a background check and a medical check.

At one time there was a bill in agitation that would have required a would-be treasure hunter to leave in security an amount sufficient to cover the tax on the amount of treasure a qualified (and commission-earning) official expected the hunter might be able to make.  But this was thought too stringent.

As for Guy, he's still stuck on the swordsmanship part.

40377462832_d9a85a630f.jpg

At Uncle's instigation, he applied for lessons to a former naval officer (suspicions abound as to whether he retired or was cashiered).  Whatever else may be said about the officer, he certainly knows his business!

40377392512_5400906bbc.jpg

40377421142_ef0455b833.jpg

Guy studied on in his spare time between red tape, and slowly - quite slowly - improved.

39710845584_ec06cfecb4.jpg

39710861374_29f6183f26.jpg

His instructor is a master at the craft, and has plenty of tricks up his sleeve.

40421225231_f8f019cfca.jpg

Outside of lesson hours, Guy often comes and practices on his own.

40377253312_14c44e1b67.jpg

The naval officer also has a shooting gallery in another part of the building (a partially refurbished warehouse, by the way).  In fact, he allows the best shots to practice on the shield.   Guy isn't among them.

25549819267_b5838c631e.jpg

Guy's Uncle has been a tower of strength to him in these difficult days of paperwork and lessons.  So when Guy heard that his Uncle was "just going" flower-hunting on Celestia, well, he was outraged.

-----------------------------

Just a little build to explain why Guy's treasure hunt has been taking so long!  Unfortunately he probably won't be done with his paperwork too soon, because I've got a busy schedule including time away from my bricks ahead of me, but hopefully the story will be make up for the wait when it comes along!

A few more pictures:

40377403182_b77ef388c3.jpg

25549980607_b4e786f3b4.jpg

39710723174_d9545160fa.jpg

25549881937_7aea0f1e83.jpg

If you'd like to get a glimpse behind the scenes you can do so on my blog!

Thank you for looking!  C&C welcome!

Edited by Kai NRG

Other details have been mentioned already (and will be mentioned by others), but I have to point out the ceiling - amazing! Great build as always :pir-laugh:. Oh, and funny story too :pir-wink:

Great MOC. The table is beautiful, and I love the use of the round tile piece for framing on the lower part of the walls. And another chandelier design to steal copy learn from! 

And the figure posing is great. I know had a lot of fun trying to pose figures in a duel MOC; you've done a fantastic job, especially with your photo angles and the depth of field in that 4th pic. :thumbup:

Well, here I was thinking of maybe going on a treasure hunting expedition myself sometime... might have to reconsider that :tongue: :laugh:

Very nice build Kai, love the use of those rounded tiles, and as Legostone mentioned, that roof is really great as well!  The chandeliers and other furnishings are excellent too, but I must say that I almost think the build looks better in the figless shots - don't know why (especially since it looked fine with figs IRL :grin:), but it could quite possibly be because of the scale of the rest of the room compared to a minifig!  At any rate, excellent work overall, and looking forward to more of Guy's treasure hunting whenever you get the time for it! 

Thats an impressive structure ... I as well will be borrowing elements in the future ... The wood top bottom and side is awesome truely.  Is the table and chandiler your own design ? They are what caught my eye after that wainscoat treatment.

16 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

That's a really nice "dojo"

The table is a masterpiece so are the chandeliers. I like your floor and exposed beam very much !!

Well done !

Thanks Professor Thaum!  I really love that table design myself!

16 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Nicely built models! I throughly enjoyed looking through the pictures and reading your story!

Thank you!

16 hours ago, Legostone said:

Other details have been mentioned already (and will be mentioned by others), but I have to point out the ceiling - amazing! Great build as always :pir-laugh:. Oh, and funny story too :pir-wink:

Thanks Legostone!

16 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Great MOC. The table is beautiful, and I love the use of the round tile piece for framing on the lower part of the walls. And another chandelier design to steal copy learn from! 

And the figure posing is great. I know had a lot of fun trying to pose figures in a duel MOC; you've done a fantastic job, especially with your photo angles and the depth of field in that 4th pic. :thumbup:

Thanks Capt Wolf!  I found the fig posing pretty difficult without studs to stick 'em to!

12 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Well, here I was thinking of maybe going on a treasure hunting expedition myself sometime... might have to reconsider that :tongue: :laugh:

Very nice build Kai, love the use of those rounded tiles, and as Legostone mentioned, that roof is really great as well!  The chandeliers and other furnishings are excellent too, but I must say that I almost think the build looks better in the figless shots - don't know why (especially since it looked fine with figs IRL :grin:), but it could quite possibly be because of the scale of the rest of the room compared to a minifig!  At any rate, excellent work overall, and looking forward to more of Guy's treasure hunting whenever you get the time for it! 

Thanks Garmdon! :pir-grin:  Yeah, the size of those curves makes the entire room a little big!

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Thats an impressive structure ... I as well will be borrowing elements in the future ... The wood top bottom and side is awesome truely.  Is the table and chandiler your own design ? They are what caught my eye after that wainscoat treatment.

Thank you!  Feel free to borrow as much as you like!  The chandelier is my own, though this isn't the first time I've used a wheel for a chandelier, but the table is a copy of one by @Jacob Nion - I built it from memory though, and I'm sure it's a little different than the original!

56 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

This looks excellent! Lovely woodworking details and furnishing!:classic:

Thank you! :classic:

This warehouse is huge, and it's decorated nicely. Nice photos and excellent writing too.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:04 PM, Bodi said:

This warehouse is huge, and it's decorated nicely. Nice photos and excellent writing too.

Thanks Bodi! 

Excellent build Kai! You've really mastered the SNOT technique. I like how you've used those new curved tiles as well. 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:55 PM, Mesabi said:

Excellent build Kai! You've really mastered the SNOT technique. I like how you've used those new curved tiles as well. 

Thanks Mesabi!  Corners of a wall with SNOT tiles are always awkward, but I was able to solve this one pretty neatly and that made me happy!

12 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Very nicely built, very cleverly created!

Thank you Captain!