GBC Carousel

800x450.jpg

During the last few weeks lead up to Brickvention 2018, in January, I decided to have a quick attempt at building a module I have seen on other GBC videos

I take no credit for it's general invention, and I actually can't remember where I saw it.... it's just one of those 'cool ideas' that sticks in your head, and you decide to sit down and recreate it from memory!

If I find a video, I will link it..  or if anyone knows who built it first.. please post, so I can credit them!

For my version, I decided to use the smaller Lego tracks, from the Indiana Jones minecart.. they are fairly cheap on BL, and work very well, and doesn't take up too much space on the table

800x558.jpg

800x642.jpg

800x637.jpg

640x393.jpg

The main ring is made of fairly basic pieces... always a great chance to use those less popular colours!  I was quite happy with the red and yellow - giving it a circus-like feel

The inverted slopes are fairly new, and worked very well at helping balls slip down the holes

I had a bit of fun with some mixel faces, and eyes on the outer ring, as you can see in the video!

The track is supported by a nice sturdy frame.. I can pick the whole thing up in one hand, and it doesn't flex. It is driven by train wheels, at each quarter/axis. With the first prototype, it didn't drive very well, and I needed all 4 corners to be driven.

But I was testing with bare track, which is very light. Once I added the bricks/plates, it became heavier, and I only needed 2 driving wheels to operate it.. This simplified the design

800x600.jpg

800x555.jpg

I needed to make it GBC standard, so a simple input + conveyor was added.

If balls happen to drop, as the holes are passing, the large tile/catcher underneath sends them straight through.

If they land on the wheel, then they go for a ride, accumulating in a pile, before the holes come around again, and they drop down

The input rate is just right, so that not too many balls accumulate to 'overflow', and spill..occasionally balls don't fall down the hole, and they just wait for the next loop.

For a bit of fun, I decorated the 'engine' in the middle.

Note that I have 2 Motor inputs.

This lets me alternate between an XL, and M motor, without having to alter power. I wasn't sure at the time which motor would be best (or what I had spare to use)

800x600.jpg

It turned out to be a very reliable module, and I'm quite proud of how it came out. It's nice that there's no major timings to work out, and I think it's reasonably interesting to watch

aaaaand... here's the video! :)

Looks good and like the way the balls drop into the collection hopper.

Edited by Doug72

Very cool!  I've seen a few ring modules like this and they are always fun to watch.  Your implementation seems really good, and not too large, a great module to use an XL motor on for sure. I realize the anti-studs on the ring help move the balls around, but I don't like seeing the wear and tear of the balls being scrubbed over them when they reach the end of the ring.  I would try and find a different solution to hold them there until they drop.  Thanks for the video Rohan!

thanks for the comments...  

to be honest, I'm not that fussed about the balls scuffing..  they are really lightweight remember, and I've had my lot for many years now, running over many 3-day conventions, and apart from the friends' logo, and soccerball print coming off, none of them have 'worn down' at all

I thought about the upside down tiles.. but the issue is getting them around the curve..

the other idea would be to somehow flip the plates.. not impossible, but would definitely raise the height of the whole ring..
Actually, just thinking now... one option would be to have TWO rings of train train... have them back to back, and use a bit of brick trickery to connect them on the outer stick-out sleepers..  then the whole ball surface would be studs up.. allowing the use of tiles

But... I'm happy to keep it as is... it proved itself for 3 days at Brickvention, and I didn't hear any complaints from my fellow GBC'ers who were running it, about reliability.. (and trust me, we are all quick to blame/laugh/poke fun of someones module, when it fails spectacularly!!)

Nice implementation.  GBC helping to remove the Friends ball's print isn't a bad thing, is it?  :classic:

14 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Thats the point! You should name the module "[GBC] Friends Logo Remover".

Nice work BTW!

In my experience, with very few exceptions, all GBC modules are Friends Logo removers.