lddpartlist_mainwindow.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

1. Runnable version /Windows platform/
  2. GitHub repository

HOW THIS WORK:

This extracts brick usage informations form a LEGO Digital Designer model file. This program tells you, which parts where used, and how many of them, thus creating a Bill Of Material.

DESCRIPTION:

This is remastered version from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lddpartslist/ . I repair some bugs, add preview and update XML documents. So:

1. partnames.xml knows 8700+ official LEGO elements. There are still mysterious parts that  are waiting to be discovered.
  2. xml2html.xsl and xml2txt.xsl they are responsible for the content and appearance. If you familiar with XML style sheet transformation. You are welcome to modify them to you wish.

Request fulfilled.File materialnames.xml which contains hexadecimal value, LEGO identification and valid name for each color.

Opening file with Drag & Drop technique and command-line arguments is possible with this release. I you have own template in application root directory. You can process, like in example below:

lddpartslist.exe  path_model\my_model.lxf   xml2explorer.xsl

What is the benefit over LDDs internal BOM function ? LDD generates an excel sheet including part pictures. 

No one forcing no one to stop using bill of material generated by LDD. This this is just better alternative. XML is universal opened standard. Thanks to eXtensible Stylesheet Language Transformations for XML. You can get output as you like. Not just binary generated file. CSV format for example, open any known text editor.

Edited by Jarema

On 3/3/2018 at 6:23 PM, Jarema said:

No one forcing no one to stop using bill of material generated by LDD. This this is just better alternative. XML is universal opened standard. Thanks to eXtensible Stylesheet Language Transformations for XML. You can get output as you like. Not just binary generated file. CSV format for example, open any known text editor.

Sorry if my question came over as blunt. I didn’t mean it that way. I was just interested in what advantage the program has. CSV has a point

Just about to start work on something similar, I could as well ask here: What about checking the availability of a part on bricklink? Mostly in terms of color - and if unavailable, list the available colors? As a very advanced feature: Find all parts with the same color, and check in what *common* color they would all be available on bricklink...

Checking Parts number and/or material number is huge work. And there starts programmer nightmare.... But Rebrickable has the right method of importing LXF-files or the right method to export to Bricklink XML.

Yes, but simply buying the parts is not the goal.   I'd ultimately like to modify the lxf-files to only contain parts that are actually available.  In this way I hope to get around the gaps that usually occur when exporting to ldraw, or devising building instructions.

Sigh, I guess I'll have to make my own attempt then.

Yep,  I know there are tools out there that can do part of the job... let me maybe describe the use case:

You design a model in your favourite digital design software.   Next step is to generate instructions and actually build it.  Now you realize there are parts in the model that actually do not exist, in 99% of the cases because of color issues. But then, replacing individual parts can actually spoil the whole design, as color is quite important!

So my vision:

• A tool that reads the model file (lxf or ldr),  comes up with a list of all parts unavailable due to color (I know this exists)
  • When clicking on a specific unavailable part, it shows all the other parts in the model of the same color.
  • In the resulting list, I can mark parts that I want to be of the same color
  • The tool comes up with a suggestion of colors that are available for *all* the parts now selected
  • The tool modifies the source file.

Of course I can do that already, but with a combination of tools, and usually the "modify the source file" part is pretty tedious and must be done in the design tool.

I discover issue with your process of creation. Use only official parts with official colors at all.

• .ldd-paint-tool.jpe When use LEGO Digital Designer, then paint tool help you.
  • stud-part-warning.jpe When use Stud.io, put mouse on yellow triangle help you. You get message: Color Unavailable. 

Regarding colour availability, LDD is wrong on many parts. Moreover, a lot of new parts are only available in LDD extended where you can use any colour.

Stud.io is more accurate, though, according to messages in the dedicated forum, there are a few hiccups.

The best solution is to use BrickLink’s colour information but you also need to be careful here because parts said to be available in BrickLink aren’t always available: rare colours, rare parts, a few errors….