Has anyone seen this?   Apparently it's been shown at the 2018 CES.   The example used at the show was several 60051 trains, WITHOUT batteries.    This could be a liberating technology for us train aficionados, if it proves to work reliably, and without side-effects...

I'm not an advocate, nor do I have any vested interest in Wi-Charge.  I merely saw the video on YouTube and it intrigued me.

Thoughts, anyone?

Here's another video...

I'd love to have something like this above my future layout.   Imagine not having to swap out, or even charge, batteries any longer.

My only concern with this is how it affects organic bodies? A disconcerting sign is that no one in either video is standing directly underneath the "light" during its operation...

I'm mostly worried about people with pacemakers, people with metal limb replacement parts, and the select few that adorn tin-foil hats....

Although not having to change or charge the batteries in my trains?

That's simply magnificent!!!

A very clever idea, but not a new one. Some of the earliest ideas for radio waves was to use them to create a wireless power network to send electrical power over long distances.

Although this may not necessarily affect LEGO trains, I’m not keen on constantly charging. If I understand correctly, the life of a lipo is affected by the number of charging cycles it is subjected to. Therefore using this  could potentially shorten the life of a device.

Well is a good idea but it uses infra-red light to power a mini-photovoltaic cell, so it has the same problems of actual ir-control, it should be fine for organized events where you can put several power sources around the layout but perhaps cumbersome indoor at home..

Sergio

3 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

A very clever idea, but not a new one. Some of the earliest ideas for radio waves was to use them to create a wireless power network to send electrical power over long distances.

Although this may not necessarily affect LEGO trains, I’m not keen on constantly charging. If I understand correctly, the life of a lipo is affected by the number of charging cycles it is subjected to. Therefore using this  could potentially shorten the life of a device.

I think they've replaced the batteries with some sort of "power receiver" element, which then generates the necessary electrical power from the infrared, radio, microwave, whatever - beam that is embedded in the light above.   Shut off that power transmitter, and I'd imagine all trains stop immediately.   At least that's what I've gleaned from watching the videos.    

8 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

My only concern with this is how it affects organic bodies? A disconcerting sign is that no one in either video is standing directly underneath the "light" during its operation...

I'm mostly worried about people with pacemakers, people with metal limb replacement parts, and the select few that adorn tin-foil hats....

Although not having to change or charge the batteries in my trains?

That's simply magnificent!!!

I share those concerns, as it's not inherently clear HOW they are conveying the power...

Sometimes the idea of Nikola Tesla returns, but I think that the propagation of wireless energy can only lead to electromagnetic interference issues :sceptic:

Anyway see the trains run without batteries is fascinating! :classic:

9 hours ago, monai said:

Well is a good idea but it uses infra-red light to power a mini-photovoltaic cell, so it has the same problems of actual ir-control, it should be fine for organized events where you can put several power sources around the layout but perhaps cumbersome indoor at home..

Sergio

AS I'VE  ALREADY SAID, they are not inducing any current! go to wi-charge.com and see, they got a laser-1 certificate, the system is inherently safe but with the same problems of the Lego ir-receiver..

Finally. It has arrived. The perpetuum mobile. The First and Second Law of Thermodynamics have become obsolete. Since the beginning of the universe, these laws were holding. And now that:

"Power delivery is very efficient: 100% of the power delivered from the transmitter reaches the receiver" (as quoted from the wi-charge website, technology section).

Hmmm. 100% of the power delivered - that means power that arrives at the receiver - reaches the receiver. OK. In other words: the bottle of milk handed over to the customer, reaches the customer. I can see that.

But I can't see the 100% reflectivity IR mirrors directing the source IR radiation to a point in space (the receiver). And then the IR to electricity conversion is ... not 100%. As is not the electricity to IR conversion.

Yes it works. But the efficiency should be rather low. Would be nice to see how this performs on a real layout.

Best
Thorsten

Transmiting power by lasers is not a new idea.  I'm not too keen about having a exposed  IR laser beams in an internal space.  IR is invisible to the naked eye.  Class 1 could still be hazardous if you look at the beam with magnifying optics.  How good is their safety system?  What happens when safety system fails?

Even if the system is totally safe... what about tunnels? Or even a relatively tall building on the layout blocking line-of-sight to the receiving unit?