Sign in to follow this  
bricksboy

MOC New York City Transit Bus

My model is a city bus with New York City MTA livery. I have put more detail on this model comparing to the lego buses in current or past city sets. The reason to build this bus is to provide Lego fans specially to kids to have a Lego bus with the more realistic look. Bus is a popular vehicle type among children. I remember when I was a child, I always wanted to own a great looking lego bus. I believe I am not the only one who has same wish. I submit the project to LEGO Ideas. More pictures can be seen in the Lego Ideas link. I also uploaded the tutorial video to Youtube.  I hope you like it and support my project. Thanks you :)

Lego Ideas Link

Youtube tutorial link

IMG_1552.jpg

My other MOC models:

[MOC] New York City Police (NYPD) Car

[MOC] Lego Mini Cooper

[MOC] Japan Tokyo Taxi vol.1 東京無線タクシー

[MOC] Ice Cream Truck

[MOC] LEGO California Highway Patrol

[MOC] LEGO Police Car

[MOC] Police Motorcycle

[MOC] New York City Taxi / Cab

[MOC] LEGO NYC News Stand

[MOC] New York City Transit Bus

[MOC] Newspaper Rack

[MOC] Coke/Beverage Cooler

Initial D AE86 Racer

AC Transit Bus

AC Transit Bus Short Version

Ice Cream Van

Edited by bricksboy

Really nice, this looks great! Much more realistic than the current yellow Lego City bus that's available. The interior seating also looks really nice.

That's really impressive. I like the way you've worked with the 8 brick wide layout (plus mirrors).

On the right rear quarter panel (is it even called that on a bus?) there are two; two wide white bricks instead of a two wide two tall singe white brick.  Is there a structural reason for that?  Does the real bus have a panel there?  I can't quite see what's going on inside at that point, so I don't know.

3 hours ago, Juxtapoisson said:

That's really impressive. I like the way you've worked with the 8 brick wide layout (plus mirrors).

On the right rear quarter panel (is it even called that on a bus?) there are two; two wide white bricks instead of a two wide two tall singe white brick.  Is there a structural reason for that?  Does the real bus have a panel there?  I can't quite see what's going on inside at that point, so I don't know.

Hi Juxtapoisson,

Yes, we can use two wide two tall single white bricks instead, but the two wide one tall brick is more common and easier to get. It is good for any kids who want to build it at home with their own parts.

13 hours ago, bricksboy said:

Hi Juxtapoisson,

Yes, we can use two wide two tall single white bricks instead, but the two wide one tall brick is more common and easier to get. It is good for any kids who want to build it at home with their own parts.

For certain.  I just had literally no idea what was behind those parts.  They could have been anything.  Instead of 2X1 bricks they could have been 2X2 bricks, wedges, or stud faced, or I don't know what.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Because I found some area of the model easily fall apart, I have modified the model. Here is what the model changed.

That's a great looking bus indeed - slick design with some nice SNOT areas. Well done! :thumbup:

However there's one aspect that spoils the realism in my opinion - the length of the wheelbase. It looks as if you omitted a whole section between rear door (which in fact should be placed more to the rear than to the front) and front wheels. If you added (at least) one more window on each side, the proportions would probably be much better. I'd even try to figure out the exact measurements of the original bus you have in mind (at 8w, scale should be about 1/40) since at these dimensions you may indeed get a much more realistic look than in 6w. 

8 hours ago, ER0L said:

That's a great looking bus indeed - slick design with some nice SNOT areas. Well done! :thumbup:

However there's one aspect that spoils the realism in my opinion - the length of the wheelbase. It looks as if you omitted a whole section between rear door (which in fact should be placed more to the rear than to the front) and front wheels. If you added (at least) one more window on each side, the proportions would probably be much better. I'd even try to figure out the exact measurements of the original bus you have in mind (at 8w, scale should be about 1/40) since at these dimensions you may indeed get a much more realistic look than in 6w. 

Thanks for your suggestion. I did try to build the model in 6w in the beginning, but it was look too skinny from the front. That why I moved to 8w instead.  I do like your suggestion to add one more window between the rear and front door.  I may take your suggestion to build a longer version in yellow :P

yellow bus 6w