blackdeathgr

[OL] - barracks and prison

Having limited time and since my LEGO bricks currently need "redeploying" in order to build anything (assuming the baby leaves me time), I am spending a bit more time in LDD. So, while experimenting with the "half stud" technique on walls, I ended up building the following moc. It is an Oleander barracks and prison along with a wall for firing practice (and more :devil: ). Nothing fancy considering innovative techniques and stuff but I quite liked the way it ended up. Interior is almost non existent, but for some benches at the prison section. As always, C&C is appreciated!

25492401997_084f8c8430_c.jpg

39467281615_b04118a163_c.jpg 

Oleon is well known for shooting its prisoners without a fair trial, so those holes in the wall are very in character. :thumbup:

In all seriousness: nice MOC, even though I suggest trying some more render programs. This version looks.. bland?

Man, some of those bullet holes are really low. Either the soldiers need a lot of training or they really hated their target. :pir-grin:

Overall the build is nice. The walls facing the main courtyard are well weathered, and the prison is a unique addition. 

If you are going to do a lot of LDD builds, I agree that some rendering program would likely be a good idea. I also think that some activity (soldiers drilling or sentries) would be good additions. 

20 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Oleon is well known for shooting its prisoners without a fair trial, so those holes in the wall are very in character. :thumbup:

In all seriousness: nice MOC, even though I suggest trying some more render programs. This version looks.. bland?

These holes are currently from firing practice but don't push your luck! :tongue:

I am glad you liked it and I know what you mean about rendering. I haven't reached that level yet though. One step at a time (currently pondering about blue-render).

Just now, blackdeathgr said:

I am glad you liked it and I know what you mean about rendering. I haven't reached that level yet though. One step at a time (currently pondering about blue-render).

Aye, I believe these things have quite a learning curve. I think @Ayrlego and @Kolonialbeamter could provide some very useful advice. :thumbup:

Just now, Captain Genaro said:

Man, some of those bullet holes are really low. Either the soldiers need a lot of training or they really hated their target. :pir-grin:

Overall the build is nice. The walls facing the main courtyard are well weathered, and the prison is a unique addition. 

If you are going to do a lot of LDD builds, I agree that some rendering program would likely be a good idea....

Thanks CG! Maybe holes are from a blunderbuss practice thus the relevant scattering?? :tongue: I know rendering is really a must for LDD creations, so I need to go that direction in the future.

4 minutes ago, Captain Genaro said:

(soldiers drilling or sentries) would be good additions

Don't get me started on minifig choices, posing etc on LDD...

Great looking MOC! Nice details. Like it has already been said, rendering would certainly improve the presentation. Blue render is super easy and quick to use. You can almost use it with your eyes closed. I use it for all of my digital models. Solid looking model!

Nice barracks, I like that enclosed prison and the bullet holes on the wall. Now all we have to do is to appoint a firing squad then find some targets to shoot.:devil:

On 2/19/2018 at 1:51 PM, Drunknok said:

:pir-laugh: What's a trial? :pir-tongue: 

I want to add bullet holes to my future forts. Great idea. :thumbup: 

On 2/20/2018 at 2:29 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

Great looking MOC! Nice details. Like it has already been said, rendering would certainly improve the presentation. Blue render is super easy and quick to use. You can almost use it with your eyes closed. I use it for all of my digital models. Solid looking model!

Thanks! I am currently d/l Blue render as we speak and I will try it out a bit

On 2/20/2018 at 1:42 PM, Bodi said:

Nice barracks, I like that enclosed prison and the bullet holes on the wall. Now all we have to do is to appoint a firing squad then find some targets to shoot.:devil:

Thanks Bodi! No need to appoint a firing squad. Everything is taken care of. You have your ships and I have my ...ahem...other resources! :tongue: :devil: :wink:

18 hours ago, Phred said:

:pir-laugh: What's a trial? :pir-tongue: 

I want to add bullet holes to my future forts. Great idea. :thumbup: 

I am glad you liked those bullet holes. You can also put other colored bricks behind them (i.e. dark red) so as to reveal the sort of  damaged wall (or paint or whatever). Oh, and don't paying attention to these accusations Phred. He who throws mud, ends up dirty as well :tongue:

39 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Thanks! I am currently d/l Blue render as we speak and I will try it out a bit

Your welcome! If you've got any questions, feel free to ask!

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

You can also put other colored bricks behind them (i.e. dark red) so as to reveal the sort of  damaged wall (or paint or whatever).

OR the blood of enemies... :pir-look:

After using Blue render:

39695368704_4c9ebedcce_z.jpgblue render 1st try by Spy Tha, on Flickr

I am not sure about the background OR the extreme "white-ness" of the white bricks (you can't see their texturing and their details with them being that white), still i think it is ok-ish

Bluerender needs some fiddling with background colours and pixel count, is my experience. I've upped the pixels to 2048 x 1080. It drastically increases the render time. (to the region of 1-2 hours) but I think it's worth it.

Your barraks as a building is solid, and well build. I think the bullet holes are a well thought off edition. 
And I know its a pain in the megablocks to do in LDD but try to do some minifigs or random items barrel, plants etc., I can tell from experience, it gets easier with practice. And it really enhances the build. 

Bart

Nice build. It looks very appropriate for the stated purpose. I love the detail of the bullet holes in the wall. Nicely done. :thumbup:

And good luck with your foray into LDD. You appear to be off to a good start!

There's busbile's (sp?) take on Bluerender that is pretty helpful as well. It helps fix some of the problems.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, blackdeathgr said:

I am not sure about the background OR the extreme "white-ness" of the white bricks (you can't see their texturing and their details with them being that white), still i think it is ok-ish

Looking much better! White is the only downside to Bluerender... :cry2: I would consider using some of the 1x2 or 1x4 brick patterned bricks, and maybe throw in some light or medium stone grey to help break up the "white-ness". You could also consider putting some vines on the left wall to add some more texture and detail. 1920x1080p is usually fine for most pictures. I even do 1280x720 to cut down render time to around 1-5 minutes. LDD and Bluerender do get easier with practice, so keep at it! Hope that helps!

Edited by LM71Blackbird

On 2/22/2018 at 6:04 PM, Bart said:

Bluerender needs some fiddling with background colours and pixel count, is my experience. I've upped the pixels to 2048 x 1080. It drastically increases the render time. (to the region of 1-2 hours) but I think it's worth it.

Your barraks as a building is solid, and well build. I think the bullet holes are a well thought off edition. 
And I know its a pain in the megablocks to do in LDD but try to do some minifigs or random items barrel, plants etc., I can tell from experience, it gets easier with practice. And it really enhances the build. 

Bart

Thanks Bart! Everything looks better with some minifigs and accessories lying around and this is the next step with my LDD involvement. Still not quite that many options for minifig parts etc in LDD :sceptic: but I'll will make do.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:17 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Nice build. It looks very appropriate for the stated purpose. I love the detail of the bullet holes in the wall. Nicely done. :thumbup:

And good luck with your foray into LDD. You appear to be off to a good start!

Thanks Cpt Wolf!

On 2/22/2018 at 8:43 PM, KotZ said:

There's busbile's (sp?) take on Bluerender that is pretty helpful as well. It helps fix some of the problems.

Hm, I'll check this out as well. Thanks!

On 2/22/2018 at 9:43 PM, Drunknok said:

The bluerender version already looks much better. :thumbup:

But for the white surfaces on the sides :tongue:. Thanks though!

13 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Looking much better! White is the only downside to Bluerender... :cry2: I would consider using some of the 1x2 or 1x4 brick patterned bricks, and maybe throw in some light or medium stone grey to help break up the "white-ness". You could also consider putting some vines on the left wall to add some more texture and detail. 1920x1080p is usually fine for most pictures. I even do 1280x720 to cut down render time to around 1-5 minutes. LDD and Bluerender do get easier with practice, so keep at it! Hope that helps!

Thanks LM! Vines are a good idea to break the white monotony! Basically I also thought about using lbg but then I wouldn't have that classic white (and yellow...:wacko: ) surfaces that I got to love at those classic bluecoat sets from the 90's ! Regarding resolution, I used 1280x720 and it took me 1 min and 52 secs for that build so I will surely try it at higher levels. Point is that if you don't like the moc positioning, you have to do it all over and wait for the rendering process once more. Ah, well, the joys of Blue Render I guess :tongue:

14 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

(...) Still not quite that many options for minifig parts etc in LDD :sceptic: but I'll will make do.

(...)

what do you mean? There are dozens of hair pieces, hats, armour, bags, swordslings. and a score of designs to choose from for faces and torsos. If you look at my last build, the shipwright brothers, You;ll see four minifigs in exactly the same clothing, just a different face print and headpiece, hair or hat.

That's the nice thing about soldiers you can just copy paste the design. and change only the face. :O

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Point is that if you don't like the moc positioning, you have to do it all over and wait for the rendering process once more. Ah, well, the joys of Blue Render I guess :tongue:

Lol, yes. It is especially fun when the model is several thousand pieces... Every time you load up LDD you just hope it doesn't crash on you!

2 hours ago, Bart said:

There are dozens of hair pieces, hats, armour, bags, swordslings. and a score of designs to choose from for faces and torsos

While yes, there are tons of designs, at least half of them wouldn't work for the time period. It would look quite odd to have minifigs walking around with bullet-proof vests on! And it can be pretty intensive to try and look at them all. I eventually just made a LXF file where I picked every torso design.

scrolling trough the torso design is something that can most certainly be improved in LDD :pir_wacko: