Krisha

[Help] How do you start a MOC?

Hi

How you guys/girls start your moc's? You start whit chasie to body work our body work to chasie/axeles?

I started to do can am maverik last year but failded big time. Ended up white noting done jumped from scaling to axel work back to chasie all over the place.

hi Krisha, in my opinion it all depends of what you are going to build and the features it will have, you must consider these characteristics of the model: at which scale i will build it?, will it be driven, steered and/or suspended (in the case of vehicles), what functions i want to add? will it be motorized or manual?, all these things must be kept in mind even before starting to build, however, there can be times where you can get a pretty good idea and try to make a model out of it, for example, you could make a nice axle design, and if you want to make a model out of it, the entire model must be built around that scale, and i also recommend to first build the more complex parts which are difficult to resize, i consider that the axles tend to be these, in my case i do the following: i first build the axles at the scale i want the model to be, then i start to build the chassis, and once i test all the "backbone" parts (axles, chassis, suspension, drive, steering and possibly motors) i start to make the body, in my opinion you should always start to build the model around the part which is more difficult to edit or resize, this way its easier to make the whole model around it and you dont end with an impossible-to-achieve project.

Whatever works for a given MOC. I usually work on all aspects of a model in general, but obviously I only focus on one small thing at a time. It's usually good to have a rough outline of all the things (bodywork, gearbox, engine, whatever) and how they come together in order to avoid big "surprises" during development (for example bad proportions, main things not fitting in, impossible to properly reinforce chassis, etc). Also, for me, this jumpiing-around-method helps keeping my flow and prevent premature optimizing/perfecting a module (which can be risky because you migh have to do major redesign if something intersects with your "perfect" module).

It can be exciting to build something from the inside out, and for example let the chassis dictate how the body looks, but it's a very risky business (at least for me).

I personally think it's best to start with the most important parts - the parts that can only be built a certain way (such as the gearbox, axles, and maybe a tricky part of the bodywork) - and then build the rest around them. This way, not only do you avoid assembly problems (such as a gearbox not fitting into the chassis), but you also get an idea of whether you can actually built it.

Building model of something, it is good to start with scaling. For particular thing, i would be nice to have some suspension, so smallest tires could not fit. For some smaller model, also, some specific (smaller) suspension parts could be needed. 

Then, according to scale, You can place tires, and see, what could fit between them. 

Sometimes, for some model of something real, I start with putting some panels together, to see, what is possible, what size it would become.

But all this comes with experience. 

It's something like, for a student to ask some skilled arhitect - where to begin? It is hard to explain, because it depends on case.

In the past I've always started with things like axles, chassis, gearbox and so on. But then I never finish the bodywork, because it's boring. But now I've started to build bodywork first, like an outer shell to see what functions can fit inside it and how best to organise things. Like when working on a model that has a complex gearbox, multi pump pneumatic compressor, motor, battery box, etc, I find it's helpful to have the outer shell built so I can see where I can fit things in nice a snug without having to compromise on the look of the outer shell. But this is something I've only just started to do so it kinda feels like learning to moc all over again, and I like it.

I always start from tire size and then make something like blueprint (of course on ordinary white paper) and then go for chassis which must be sturdy and simple. After that drive-train, then gearbox and then bodywork. Hope this helps

19 hours ago, Jurss said:

But all this comes with experience. 

It's something like, for a student to ask some skilled arhitect - where to begin? It is hard to explain, because it depends on case.

+1:thumbup:

My step order is roughtly like this:

• Find subject matter (photos on the internet)
  • Pick functions I would like
  • Decide on scale (pick some wheels)
  • Draw a grid over a reference photo to determine size
  • In MLCAD, place wheels, steering and drivetrain
  • Think about where to put large elements (engine, battery box, motor, gearbox)
  • Design most critical elements digitally (gearbox, suspended axles)
  • Build those in real
  • Digitally lay out a chassis around built elements
  • Build chassis in real

Then, I just go from there; switching between digital building and real building, because this way you build everything twice, and the second time you always get some new ideas to improve the first draft.

My usual process:

• Choose tyre size (for road cars, I almost always use the biggest I have - the 68.8x36 ZRs)
  • Calculate dimensions
  • Decide on functions
  • Fudge dimensions if necessary (for example, a car that is supposed to be 23 studs wide may be bumped up to 25 to fit driven independent suspension, with length and width increased appropriately). This can also be done to exaggerate certain features of the real car if you wish - just keep it within reason.
  • Build the most mechanically-dense components (usually gearbox and suspension), keeping in mind the position and shape of motors. I prefer to build in real-life, and I will often go through dozens of gearbox designs before settling on one.
  • Build a "rail chassis" consisting of the front axle, rear axle, drivetrain and a pair of rails (usually 5 studs apart to fit O or H frames between them) connecting everything. Now is a good time to test any electronics. Some bodywork may be done at this stage, especially if it is structurally important.
  • After that I usually build from the front to the back, adding any manual functions (doors etc) as I go.

To start a new MOC I search on line & YouTube for  a machine I intend to build, 

then download images and print out any plans / diagramed etc. to work out sizes.

For wheeled MOCs I start with the tire size that looks best then scale up everything around that.

For tracked MOCs  I build a mock up of the track unit to determine the overall size.

I always start a Moc (if its a car), with the drivetrain on the rear.

1. drivetrain rear with suspension

2. gearbox and shifter

3. engine.

4 front part with suspension

Basic chassis is now ready

5. the body shaping and dressing up the model

I had build my Porsche for the contest like that 2 years ago

Edited by Techniccrack