38482752300_a9efc28772_c.jpgGaugamela 331 BC

Hi guys, this is my new creation that i made to honour one of the greatest Greeks of all time,
Alexander the Great !!

39581139184_fb5608f634_c.jpg

I created a representation of the famous Macedonian phalanx, which was also the main pillar of Alexander's army, here you can see his marching for the victory to Gaugamela!

38483599240_659e22c9e6_c.jpgGaugamela 331 BC

The Macedonian Phalanx was an infantry formation developed by Philip II and used by Alexander to conquer the Achaemenid Empire and other armies. Phalanxes remained dominant on battlefields throughout the Hellenistic period, first of all the Macedonians, and then of all the States of the Successors and Epigones, for two centuries (mid-4nd to 2nd century BC)
Their main weapon was sarissa or sarisa, was a long spear or pike about 4–6 metres (13–20 ft) in length.

25421462177_8aab131f7c_c.jpg

These long spears improved the traditional strength of the phalanx by extending the rows of overlapping weapons projecting towards the enemy.

39581140724_00cfa03b28_c.jpg

Here you can see a piece of the classic formation, the phalanx was at the center, the archers and the peltasts from behind, and the cavalry march left and right of the phalanges.

40292714981_b223e5b3f7_c.jpg

Spoiler

Here you can see the original formation of a Macedonian phalanx.

Facts_Alexander_the_Great_Macedonian_arm

History:

The Battle of Gaugamela was the decisive battle of Alexander the Great's invasion of the Persian Achaemenid Empire.

In 331 BC Alexander's army of the Hellenic League met the Persian army of Darius III near Gaugamela, close to the modern city of Dohuk (Iraqi Kurdistan).
Though heavily outnumbered, Alexander emerged victorious due to his army's superior tactics and his deft employment of light infantry. 
It was a decisive victory for the Hellenic League and led to the fall of the Achaemenid Empire.

More information you can found here, about Gaugamela and the Macedonian phalanx.
Battle of Gaugamela
Macedonian phalanx

As always C&C are appreciated! :sweet:

Edited by Mpyromaxos

Seeing as you have used custom parts, I guess you know that brickwarriors make a very nice sarissa?

Edited by MAB

On 20/2/2018 at 8:04 AM, miniman said:

Nice MOC. :) I love it.

Thank you! :sweet:

20 hours ago, MAB said:

Seeing as you have used custom parts, I guess you know that brickwarriors make a very nice sarissa?

I know they have make sarissa, and i buyed 30 of them, but when i built it, i notice that they have huge diferences from the actual spear (sarissa) it's too thick, and not long enough, to make the makedonian phalanx, also they are only came in one colour, the sarissa that i built it's closer sto the actual weapon and more beautiful optical. :sweet:

On 21/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, pantelis said:

Nice Greek Moc Mpyromaxos with so many details..:wink:

Tnk you mate! :wink:

13 hours ago, Gunman said:

Great formation there mate :) Lovely build :wub:

Tnk you my friend! I'me glad you like it! :laugh: